Thread: Track porting

Default Track porting

Have any of you guys "ported" your tracks? I just did mine last week and it took a while! (270 holes...) There are supposed to be a few benefits to this including getting rid of all that snow that builds up inside the rear suspension while riding.

I tested it out pretty well on our Wasilla to Willow trip last saturday and I have to admit it stayed pretty much snow free compared to my buddy's stock track. I don't have a pic of mine yet, but it looks a lot like this -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

That is a little extreme. Hope it doesn't seperate on you.

Yep,
    Punched my way across the Farewell Burn one time. I did not count the number of holes, but it was dang near as radical as the one in the photo. The tracks disentegrated quick rapidly shortly afterword. Of course they weren't cut out real neat like, they were punched out by the pointy stubs of the burnt black spruce trees. I hope this new development works out. Sure would be lighter and more forgiving. If a track manufacturer would jump on it, they could mold in some reinforcement around the perimeter of the holes. That way I think the idea might have merit. Let us know how it pans out, over the course of the remaining winter.

Thumbs up

The picture I posted was from the Crazy Mountain Extreme site (home of the $24,000 super sleds...). I figure if they are willing to drill the tracks on their new sleds, they have probably done the necessary testing for durability.

Worst case, I have over 4K miles on my track as it is. If it comes apart....I'll upgrade to a 144! )
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Down at Swanson's Polaris they have a 600 Dragon (?) with a 144" or 151" (I am not sure), but it has two holes in the center section. So at least Polaris has jumped on the bandwagon.
    The guys doing the mountain thing need every last ounce of power they can get 'cause of elevation. Of course the big tracks take power to turn, so porting, big wheels, no idlers are the norm.

Default Mine came like that!

I recently bought a 2002 RMK 151" vertical edge with the track ported almost as heavily as the one pictured. They previous owner ported it when new and it has held up fine! I have abused it pretty heavily in the short time I have owned it to include about 250 trail miles and that is tougher on a powder track than anything. Should be fine!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Default Track Porting

Just don't water-cross! YOU WILL SINK!!