Thread: Moose Hunt Unit 20A / DM685 ( Cow )

Default Moose Hunt Unit 20A / DM685 ( Cow )

Looking for Hunt Information / access / drop off / etc.

I drew a Anterless Moose Permit for 20A Hunt DM 685 Aug25-Oct 31

Will be hunting with my two sons ( college students )

Any information will be greatly appprciated

We have been moos hunting several times together but this is a new area for me

Thank you
    Chinookjr

Need more info? I'm pretty sure the drawing supplement provided all the information a person needed to know or else why would someone put in for a hunt that they didn't already know they could be successful at if drawn? Seriously? You saw "cow hunt" put in for it and now you want information on how to access the area? Not getting it from me. Do your homework first and based off of that information decide if you can access the area with the equipment/vehicles that you have and then put in for the tag. How many people just buy a random plane ticket for a vacation and don't have their rental car, hotel, restaurants, etc already picked out or a general idea at least. Stupid.

Now, if your post was a badly worded post and you need specific information based off of research or homework that you've done I'm sure others including myself would help out. If that is the case a better way to word your request would be to say something like, "I have found what I think are several access points into 20A. Some are water based, some are air based, and some are land based. I'm interested in the water and land ones (or whatever your mode of transportation is going to be). PM me and I will provide more detail about what I do know and hopefully someone can give me more specific information before I commit."

Otherwise you just sound like someone who put in for a drawing and now can't figure out how to be successful.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

That's a little harsh don't you think 1S1K? If you've got nothing to say, then don't say anything. No need to call people stupid just because they asked for some help.

---Noted---

It doesn't surprise me so many people only lurk and don't post on this forum.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

Quote Originally Posted by chinookjr View Post
    Looking for Hunt Information / access / drop off / etc.

I drew a Anterless Moose Permit for 20A Hunt DM 685 Aug25-Oct 31

Will be hunting with my two sons ( college students )

Any information will be greatly appprciated

We have been moos hunting several times together but this is a new area for me

Thank you
    Chinookjr
    Alright I agree you should and possibly already have done some research in the matter. I am no expert by any means and last year was my first time hunting the area. We hunted the higher ground and found plenty of game around. I will attach a link to a similar thread with use full information you might be able to use to help you with your hunt.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...unit-20a/page2
    This year I drew a Cow tag aswell for the area. We spotted a few cows last year and I am pretty confident they will be in the area again this season. I really wanted the Caribou tag but the bou luck was not on my side.
    If I can help you out, I am willing to share my limited knowledge.

I don't think 1S1K was too harsh. There are a lot of posts on here about people asking for help on a draw hunt that they know nothing about. Why would you put in for a draw and not know anything about it? Because it looks like an easy hunt, because it is a cow hunt? People are already fed up with the way the draw hunts work. Some people put in year after year for 30 years or more and get nothing and some people get drawn every year for multiple hunts. Even if you are going to put in for a draw that you know nothing about why would you wait until now to start looking for info on it. That should have been started back in march.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I don't think 1S1K was too harsh. There are a lot of posts on here about people asking for help on a draw hunt that they know nothing about. Why would you put in for a draw and not know anything about it? Because it looks like an easy hunt, because it is a cow hunt? People are already fed up with the way the draw hunts work. Some people put in year after year for 30 years or more and get nothing and some people get drawn every year for multiple hunts. Even if you are going to put in for a draw that you know nothing about why would you wait until now to start looking for info on it. That should have been started back in march.
    Okay, this has been gone over a few hundred too many times. Yes, people put in for hunts they don't know about and many ultimately won't be able to hunt them for whatever reason. Don't try to act as if these people are taking away the chances for those others who know the area and have means to get to the animals. The number of people who don't hunt for a tag or who do hunt and aren't successful is factored into the number of available permits. If everyone did all their homework and hunted all their permits, they would not be able to give out nearly as many. From historical data, ADF&G can estimate that, say, 50% (to keep things easy) of permits for a specific hunt won't be hunted for at all. Maybe another 25% will hunt but won' be successful. That means that if they were ultimately hoping for a take of 25 animals, they would issue 100 permits. If everyone had the means and ability to hunt every permit, the way some here seem to think it should be, then they would only be able to issue 25-50 permits total. True there would probably be few people entered since you would eliminate those who didn't do their homework, but you would also eliminate probably the same percentage of avaialble permits, making your odds of being drawn the same.

Sorry about continuing off topic here.

Good luck with your hunt. I don't have any good information for this area, but others in here may be able to help point you in the right direction. Cow hunts are typically coveted hunts, so you are going to get some responses such as you saw already. Don't let them get to you.

A good first step would be defining the hunt boundaries. Most here don't have the same tag as you and aren't about to pull out their hunt supplement from Dec and review it to be able to offer any sort of a helpful answer. A brief explanation of your current plan (if you have one) would help. If not that then at least the kind of transportation that you have available or the amount of money you have to invest in getting there if an air or water taxi is going to be used.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    A good first step would be defining the hunt boundaries. Most here don't have the same tag as you and aren't about to pull out their hunt supplement from Dec and review it to be able to offer any sort of a helpful answer. A brief explanation of your current plan (if you have one) would help. If not that then at least the kind of transportation that you have available or the amount of money you have to invest in getting there if an air or water taxi is going to be used.
    this one? http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...p=dm685&gmu=20

looks like boat and plane access ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    this one? http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...p=dm685&gmu=20

looks like boat and plane access ...
    Then the OP should probably plan on using a boat or a plane to get there.

What type of transportation do you have at your disposal ?