Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Jim Creek Access and Silvers etc

Default Jim Creek Access and Silvers etc

Thought I'd try heading north after work sometime next week. I'm a little confused to as where the access points are leading to the mouth of the creek. I think there are more than one, right? Any roads/trails going to the middle or upper sections of the creek?

When is the best timing for silvers in there? Have read that they run late, through October according to Fish and Game info. Anyone here have any success that late in the year? Any other salmon besides reds?

I've not caught any salmon there as late as October. There are 2 access roads that I know of and of those 1 is much better than the other. I'll post a map in a couple minutes.

Path 1 begins at a large gravel lot on the right hand side of the road. It is by far the most traveled. Number 2 begins right at the corner and has wicked ruts and mud. I always scout on foot ahead through any obstacles. I've used it only when I thought the water may be a little too high for path 1. It would be walk in from the road and way 2 gets me at least part way there on foot. Water conditions down there change very fast and combined with alot of traffic the way out can be considerably worse than when you came in. I love the place and will start going soon. If ya see a black explorer with OR plates don't hesitate to say hi.

I lost the map upon editing, I'll have to add it to another post. Sorry for the multi-post.

Getting an invalid attachment message. Anyone else get this to work?

Hopefully the picture comes up this time, it worked earlier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

making a run down there tomorow morning.(EARLY)
    will report when i get back.

have been down there everyday for 2 weeks. its slow only about 5 silvers a day being caught and a few reds. all in all the fish just arent really there yet if you spend your time you will catch fish but the little su is better. if your a fly fisherman you are gonna catch fish if your a spinner or bait guy your not gonna catch to much, hope it helps you make a decision

Thank you all for the great info, especially the map. I take it there won't be much happening at Jim's in late fall but was curious if the information I obtained was accurate or not. October did seem kind of out of place as all other area runs end in September at the latest. So the silver run peaks when exactly?

Went own there today to check it out. Deffinitely fish there, reds and silvers. I, however, will NEVER be going back to jims creek fishing. I was dumb founded by what was going on down there. I don't think I saw more than 5 people actually "fishing." I watched people chasing reds around in circles throwing pixies at them and then yanking as hard as humanly possible. One guy was snagging reds with vibrax, dragging them onto the mud, then STEPPING on their heads while he took the hook out, and to release the fish he would give them a good punt 5 feet in the air and back into the water. I immidiately got on the phone with the ADF&G hotline and told them they needed to get down there pronto as they would meet their monthly ticket quota in one afternoon. I've seen a lot of violators on Alaskan streams but nothing compares to what I saw out there today. Never again, I don't care if that creek is loaded with fish.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Haven't been to jims in years. It's ridiculous.

Yea that was the first time I ever fished it and will never be going back again. I always stayed away due to all the horror stories. It was rumored that fish and game was policing it up a little more and things were better so I went down there to check it out. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Went own there today to check it out. Deffinitely fish there, reds and silvers. I, however, will NEVER be going back to jims creek fishing. I was dumb founded by what was going on down there. I don't think I saw more than 5 people actually "fishing." I watched people chasing reds around in circles throwing pixies at them and then yanking as hard as humanly possible. One guy was snagging reds with vibrax, dragging them onto the mud, then STEPPING on their heads while he took the hook out, and to release the fish he would give them a good punt 5 feet in the air and back into the water. I immidiately got on the phone with the ADF&G hotline and told them they needed to get down there pronto as they would meet their monthly ticket quota in one afternoon. I've seen a lot of violators on Alaskan streams but nothing compares to what I saw out there today. Never again, I don't care if that creek is loaded with fish.
    Wow! I was there between 6am-4pm soaking eggs. I'm glad my kids didn't witness that..... there are barbarians among us!

well i will be heading up there to try it. i follow the rules so if i dont get anything atleast i will see what not to do. any one else want to head up there in the am possibly. i will check this around 11 tonight to see if any one else wants to car pool. probably head out of chugiak around 6 am

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Wow! I was there between 6am-4pm soaking eggs. I'm glad my kids didn't witness that..... there are barbarians among us!
    I saw this way up in the clear water just before the creek and the knik merge, not sure where you were at but it was bad up there

Hey y0gee - You gotta stop giving these glowing reports to AOJ of your exploits ... now everyone's gonna flood Jim's thinking that all they gotta do is throw Walmart freeze dryed roe into the creek and get 6 silvers in an hour!

we all know your eggs are amazing... and you spend much time scoping out the rivers and it's your experience that gives you success.

but your reports make it look too easy I predict hundreds of very disappointed anglers over the next few days...

one good thing... the crowd showing up usually signals to the barbarians Raptor mentioned to find somewhere else to fish.

other than that good to hear the silvers have finally started to show there... might have to try Thursday morning... but if the reports tomorrow say it's been flooded with idiots I'm gonna have to settle for the 'race or Ship...

I saw this way up in the clear water just before the creek and the knik merge, not sure where you were at but it was bad up there
    Nah, we were downstream about 1/2 a mile..... it looked crowded up there though. I never go that far up. Anyways, not much people by us all day until we left.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    well i will be heading up there to try it. i follow the rules so if i dont get anything atleast i will see what not to do. any one else want to head up there in the am possibly. i will check this around 11 tonight to see if any one else wants to car pool. probably head out of chugiak around 6 am
    Definatley let me know how it is... y0gee's reports tend to be a little on the optimistic side... he forgets sometime the rest of us more down to earth fishermen don't have the same success rates..

when y0gee catches his limit in an hour it means everyone else only caught 6 other fish the entire day

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Dragon View Post
    one good thing... the crowd showing up usually signals to the barbarians Raptor mentioned to find somewhere else to fish.
    That's fine and dandy but you'll never see me fishing there ever again. I have other places I can go and catch silvers and reds with less people and even have a couple spots that have very very few people. I'll be back down riding the wheeler after the fishing crowd goes away.

That's fine and dandy but you'll never see me fishing there ever again. I have other places I can go and catch silvers and reds with less people and even have a couple spots that have very very few people. I'll be back down riding the wheeler after the fishing crowd goes away.
    someday I'm going to have to find someone willing to show me some of these places *sigh*

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast