Thread: ever seen one of these?

Default ever seen one of these?

i'm assuming it is handmade, the two bottom pieces are made of hard wood and the top piece is made of bamboo or cane with all brass fittings nailed in with brass nails. It was handed down to me but I'm not sure how old it is.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0684.jpg   100_0683.jpg  

Default 2 more pics

two more pics with a close up of brass fittings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0682.jpg   100_0681.jpg  

Looks pretty darn old. Have you had the chance to cast it?

If I'm seeing right, it has no eyelets. Maybe an old Tenkara rod? Tenkara was a traditional Japanese fly rod.

Whatever it is its pretty cool.

It does have eyelets they are made out of brass tube, never tried casting it because it seems to be quite old. I've never seen one before and just wondering if anyone else has or could give me any info on it.

i could be wrong but it looks like an old center pin rod.

Yea, not Tenkara. Kenaibow fan might be onto something. It doesn't seem to be made for casting.

How long is the rod and is there any writing on the butt cap?
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Default Old fly rod

Is the fly rod 10' to 15' long? This is an American handmade fly rod of the Smith era which is before 1870, this type of trout/salmon fly rod were made into the 1890s. They started building this type of fly rod in the early 1800s, but I don't think your rod was built before 1840. It should have writing on the butt cap and the butt section maybe shallow with another rod section hidden in the handle. Hope this helps and it is a great family item. Tight lines.
    Last edited by akriverman; 07-22-2010 at 19:31. Reason: typo

i have an old bamboo fly rod not sure if it is older or not but they don't even seem to look any thing a like................... every thing is different so this one might be older? It might be a fly rod but I think it looks like an old center pin rod. Just from looking at it and it doesn't seem to fit the part of the old fly rods I have seen. Although AKriver seems to know what he is talking about.

That rod is a piece of fly fishing history mostly likely built on the east coast, New York or New Jersey. I know it doesn't look like any fly rod you have ever seen. It looks more like a pool cue, but they haven't made this style of fly rod in more than 110 years. Tight lines.

Time for a trip to antiques road show!!

sweet count me in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just got paid! LOL

Hey thanks or the replies, It's about 12ft long. My grandfather had given it to my dad who threw it in the shed until I was in my twenties and then gave it to me because I always thought it was neat especially since I liked to flyfish. Other than that I know nothing about it, I've looked very closely for a makers mark but nothing so I thought maybe someone hand made it although I was reading on a website that alot of these old flyrods don't have a makers mark on them. I wish it still had the reel but there was never one with it that I remember but I'm sure it sported one and one time. I would love to take it to antiques roadshow............................