Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kenai dipping this weekend -- advise and predictions?

Default Kenai dipping this weekend -- advise and predictions?

I'm not new to AK fishing but am new to dipnetting. We want to give it a shot this weekend. I've been studying up on what to bring and what to watch for, thanks in large part to some of the great posts on here.

Does anyone have any advice or rules of thumb on what to watch for with the sonar numbers. For instance, is it not worth the time if the sonar falls below 30,000 fish or something. We're not looking to pick up a permit full but would be happy to pick up 10 or 15. But looking at the charts it seems like the sonar usually takes a sharp dip after the 7/16 peak.

Also, is there a baseline on the OTF reading? It looks like it has been in the 40s-60s the last several days, but there is also a SW wind predicted for the next few days. Tides also look promising with a high tide at 5:00 p.m.

All that said do any of you seasoned dippers have any prognostications for Saturday? THANKS for any help here.

Uh...making predictions has drawn some controversy lately. I can tell you when you hear its hot, its already too late for you to go. For me it really boils down to when I have the time to go. So I predict when I can be there rather than when the fish are. If we happen to meet at the same time all is good. Go, have fun. If you have the right gear, you should catch something.

I predict that there will be fish coming in and that fish will be caught. I base that solely on the OTF, as well as the fact that there is not a day since July 25th that people have caught ZERO fish this year while dipnetting.

Of course, the fact that I have been on a boat that has brought in a total if 194 fish (over multiple days), could mean the river is empty and the fish are all gone.

Timing it just right is hard. Just be willing to put in a full day or two. You may very well arrive and dip for 4-5 hours without a hint of fish, then all of the sudden the water will froth with jumping fish and you be pulling them out as fast as you can - that's what happened to me last week.

Default Kenai dipping this weekend -- advise and predictions?

Predictions? Sure.
    Since this will be the first time this weekend that I have ever dipnetted, Everyone around me will be netting fish..Kind of like my first time on the Russian watching everyone else catch fish but ME!
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Quote Originally Posted by Formerly Montana Bob View Post
    Predictions? Sure.
    Since this will be the first time this weekend that I have ever dipnetted, Everyone around me will be netting fish..Kind of like my first time on the Russian watching everyone else catch fish but ME!

There you go Chumstik. Stand next to him.

SWEET -- I'm all set now.

No Updates?
    Has no one been dipping the last 3 days? We're heading down tomorrow morning, hope to be on the water around 0600.
    When the HOGS show up, somethins gonna DIE!!!
    Blood Sport
    32' Custom Wooldridge
    MMSI #: 338181573

10 hours in a boat today, came in with a weak load of 79. There were a few fish out there, but it was terribly slow. Good luck, last weekend was the peak.

I just told maximum penetration this earlier but it was definitely slow out there today. We put 5 hours on the water and 25 in the boat. It seemed to get slower the longer we fished...

I am hanging up my dipnets for the season. 4 trips with 13 permit holders including myself. In total, 353 reds. It was a good year. Time for silver fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    I am hanging up my dipnets for the season. 4 trips with 13 permit holders including myself. In total, 353 reds. It was a good year. Time for silver fishing.
    My gosh Max thats over 1500 lbs in the round! Assuming the normal portion is 8oz. Those 13 permit holders have enough for 2years of salmon dinners daily! Just think you won't have to go dipnetting next year!

Hey fullbush, I will make it my goal to get as many friends as many dipnets fish as possible each year. I know you are a commie, sorry for that. My goal in dipnetting is to get fish to eat all winter, but the bonus is knowing that the less fish that get to the sonar counter, the less emergency openers.

Fullbush, you do have some fuzzy math. Now I know you are a comfisher and I am a dipnetter. Let me give you a breakdown of how Max's people will divide those fish. The average household in Alaska is 2.78 people, per house hold. forget about max for a second. 13 permit holders means head of household. So.. in actuality, you have 36 people sharing in those 353 reds. That comes out to 9 fish per household, or 3 fish per person,per household. That is below the statewide statistics cause according to fish and game, the per person amount of fish from dipnetting is actually 6 fish, per person, per year,per household.. Gives you something to think about, don't it?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Quote Originally Posted by MaximumPenetration View Post
    Hey fullbush, I will make it my goal to get as many friends as many dipnets fish as possible each year. I know you are a commie, sorry for that. My goal in dipnetting is to get fish to eat all winter, but the bonus is knowing that the less fish that get to the sonar counter, the less emergency openers.
    Um I'm not a commie I voted for McCain
    Your goal isn't much different than mine except I don't limit it to just my friends I try to provide as many people as I can w/ our healthy resource. The difference is I don't have malicious intentions for other gear groups. Oh and I don't post my scorecard

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    Fullbush, you do have some fuzzy math. Now I know you are a comfisher and I am a dipnetter. Let me give you a breakdown of how Max's people will divide those fish. The average household in Alaska is 2.78 people, per house hold. forget about max for a second. 13 permit holders means head of household. So.. in actuality, you have 36 people sharing in those 353 reds. That comes out to 9 fish per household, or 3 fish per person,per household. That is below the statewide statistics cause according to fish and game, the per person amount of fish from dipnetting is actually 6 fish, per person, per year,per household.. Gives you something to think about, don't it?
    Thankyou for the clarification whop. my bad

No problemo, the numbers do seem big when first thrown out there, until you break it down. My assumption is that those "permit holders" were just that, head of households. I could be off base too, but I don't think so. Hey, you going to the zoo(fish creek)?
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Hey, you going to the zoo(fish creek)?
    Actually I thought it would be some good entertainment lol. I'll look for ya and buy ya a pop at the Knik bar

Talking hey whop - my math is different

Whop - my math is different but the point is the same. If 353 reds are taken by 13 households that is 27 fish per household and 9 per person on average - . Just had to chuckle at how large numbers reported can cause people to be misled without doing the math.

When I had 5 in our family I used about 20 salmon a year for them, all sport caught. I would send two outside to my mom and brother-in-law. So 353 for 13 permits is not excessive.

Today, I purchase 3 fish from commercial fisherman and that is enough for my wife and myself. However, I know people with medical issues who eat salmon almost everyday. I think the statewide figures are pretty spot on.

Nerka, I sit corrected on the math. Was half asleep this am and messed up my calculator numbers. What a lot of people don't realize is that it takes about 3.5 fish to make a case of pint jars. I jar up almost five cases for my tribe. 3 smoked and two plain. I also fillet about 20 fish and vacuem pack those for the B-B-Q. that leaves me with about 38 fish total that I try to put into my household. I'm allowed a lot more for I have my grand children staying with me( I call them the Boomarang gang)LOL but you guys see my point and Nerka's. Numbers don't always seem like they are at face value.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast