Thread: training for a different type of bird

Default training for a different type of bird

When you are preparing to take your (pointing) dog that you normally only hunt ptarmigan with, and hunt something different like pheasant or quail, do you do anything to prepare your dog for the difference so that he knows what your targeting? Or, do you just assume they'll figure it out?

I have never had a problem changing species...they figure it out. Just like they figure out tweety birds and butterflies are not desirable to dad. Both my dogs made the connection to each new species without any trouble. In Montana they had to figure out Pheasants, Hungarian, Sharptail, Ruffed and Sage grouse (never got them into the Blue Grouse). Each species was at one time new to them and some were several years before they had their first sniff. The adjusted to Quail in Arizona and Ptarmigan her in Alaska without any trouble.

Tyler,

The short answer is simply "No." But it's really a matter of hunting new and radically different terrain a dog needs to adjust to more than different birds. Dogs can figure most things out very quickly. I just haven't had the opportunity yet to introduce my dogs to the American stock market or a horse racing track, but I'll bet they'd do pretty good!