Thread: How well does Vinyl holdup in Alaska

Default How well does Vinyl holdup in Alaska

Hi all,

How well does Vinyl siding holdup in the interior regions of Alaska?

Ron

"Vinyl is final" is a cliche in the industry; however, it does get very brittle in freezing conditions. Conceivably an ill-thrown snowball could crack it, but aside from that, as long as it's installed properly it'll be fine.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

So in -60, it should be ok?

Ron

My neighbors makes a lot of noise when the temperature is changing.

Ron, you'd be better to stick with leather as a fetish material, just like all yer "kind" at Mad Myrnas...:P

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Hi all,

How well does Vinyl siding holdup in the interior regions of Alaska?

Ron
    Used to install it in Fairbanks during the 90s and you couldn't lean on it without cracking it during the coldest days. Waste went up exponentially as the temp dropped. Once it's up, you should have too many problems.

Also if you install it during the worst cold, it will expand in summer (especially in the sun) and can buckle and get unhooked.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Ron, you'd be better to stick with leather as a fetish material, just like all yer "kind" at Mad Myrnas...:P
    Nice...... Not leather, beaver fur : )

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCountryWood View Post
    Used to install it in Fairbanks during the 90s and you couldn't lean on it without cracking it during the coldest days. Waste went up exponentially as the temp dropped. Once it's up, you should have too many problems.

Also if you install it during the worst cold, it will expand in summer (especially in the sun) and can buckle and get unhooked.
    I have put it on 2 houses here in Michigan. We can go from +102 to -22 in a season. I have seen it buckle but not when I do it. I just wanted to know if Vinyl was a good siding for Alaska or just to stick with wood, like t111. I like to upkeep on Vinyl better : )

Thanks for the info

Ron

We installed fiber cement siding last summer due to forest fire concerns and I cant say enough good about how it turned out. It should outlast me hopefully. It's a little brittle when handling it, but once up seems pretty tough. We wanted something that would not rot, or need painting in our lifetimes.

I've seen way to many homes in AK with warped vinyl to even be a consideration for us not to mention it's lack of fire protection.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    We installed fiber cement siding last summer due to forest fire concerns and I cant say enough good about how it turned out. It should outlast me hopefully. It's a little brittle when handling it, but once up seems pretty tough. We wanted something that would not rot, or need painting in our lifetimes.
    Just installed it on my house in VT and agree it's quality stuff. Price has come way down over the last few years too. Cheaper than cedar, but still more expensive than vinyl (outside anyway).

Default Vinyl siding n Alaska Answer

The only Vinyl siding that will preform well in low temps is the Norandex Polar-Wall panel, it is a thick panel .050 with a 3/4" foam backing adhered to the panel, reducing the chance of breakage, plus it adds an R-value of 4 to 5 on the wall. Contact a local distribution center or call 1-800-284-6390 for more information ask for Kevin, he can explain anything you may need to know about Vinyl Siding.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilbama View Post
    The only Vinyl siding that will preform well in low temps is the Norandex Polar-Wall panel, it is a thick panel .050 with a 3/4" foam backing adhered to the panel, reducing the chance of breakage, plus it adds an R-value of 4 to 5 on the wall. Contact a local distribution center or call 1-800-284-6390 for more information ask for Kevin, he can explain anything you may need to know about Vinyl Siding.
    I will look into it. Thanks

Ron

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    "Vinyl is final" is a cliche in the industry; however, it does get very brittle in freezing conditions. Conceivably an ill-thrown snowball could crack it, but aside from that, as long as it's installed properly it'll be fine.
    LOL except that at the temps it could crack at ..... snow balls can't be made

lot of vinal around Ron. lot of it has been up for years and it seems to be getting better. I have installed it as far down as -30 with out issue. but i expect you won't be doing that anyway.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince,

Are you still thinking I'm not going to be there any time soon?

Ron

Really it is nothing to worry about, by the time you are up in AK global warming will have made it a moot point.