Thread: Need a front sight!

Default Need a front sight!

Where in tarnation would a feller go to get a front sight for a TC White Mountain Carbine?

I bought one off gunbroker and its zactly like new septin it ain't got a front sight:/??

There used to be a place that carried stuff for TC's older guns....Fox... something or other?

Can someone git me steered in the right general direction?

EKC have you checked Mountain State Manufacturing? their website is; http://www.msmfg.com/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I dunno what kind of sight TC guns have, or how they are mounted.

If you're lookin for a blade type set in a base that is a simple 3/8" dovetail in the barrel, you can get one from Deer Creek Products. I also got 3 rear sights and some other odds and ends. Postage was mimimal and cheap, and the stuff arrived quickly.

Recently, I've purchased 2 of those kind. One to preplace a bead type, and one to give me some more height after I replaced the rear sight with one that was adjustable for elevation on the EKC ML.

Just ask for the Parts Guy. I talked to him twice, and he was on the ball.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

if it's not dovetailed you could always soldier a blade style sight on easy enough. Even if it was you could still build a sight to fight it nicely.

I bet you're thinking of the outfit that does custom work for TC. Darned if I can remember the name, but you're close with "Fox something." In any case you can access them from the TC site.

I don't know if that particular model is dovetailed. If not, you can get an original directly from TC with a quick phone call. In my experience TC is terrifically helpful with parts. If it's dovetailed it will almost certainly be 3/8" and there are lots of sources and styles available. In addition to the others cited already, I'll add Track of the Wolf. Scroll down on that page to the Sights section and they list 124 different front sights. There are even more rear sights listed if you want to go all the way on a sight change. Good outfit, with enough muzzleloading gear to really hurt your budget.

[QUOTE=elmerkeithclone;775110]Where in tarnation would a feller go to get a front sight for a TC White Mountain Carbine?

I've got an extra front sight from a TC Renegade. It is a 3/8 dovetail press fit. It'll cost you plenty though....like pass along some good-will to the next guy what needs something. Send me your address and I'll get it mailed off.
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror

[QUOTE=Ex1811;775565]
    Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Where in tarnation would a feller go to get a front sight for a TC White Mountain Carbine?

I've got an extra front sight from a TC Renegade. It is a 3/8 dovetail press fit. It'll cost you plenty though....like pass along some good-will to the next guy what needs something. Send me your address and I'll get it mailed off.
    Bless you! Pm coming your way!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    In addition to the others cited already, I'll add Track of the Wolf.
    BB:
    You've reccommended "Track of the Wolf" before. I've ordered from them in the past, myself, HOWEVER, the last time I tried, they wanted $19.25 for shipping a purchase of $16.96, (Two fixed Pwdr Measures, A Flint Chard, and their Catalog.)

I declined, and ordered from somewhere else.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Ask them to ship in a flat rate box if possible.

if not let me know, the place is close to my home town (track of the wolf), I can get my old man to pick it up for you (he's always looking for a reason to go, though he's short on time being a farmer, so it may take a week or so for him to get there), and have him ship it up.

If you can wait till I fly home, hopefully soon, I can drive it back up for you for free. was supposed to fly home the end of june, that got put on hold and right now we dont have a date schedule to make the trip yet, still waiting on the big mans blessings.

So if shipping is of a concern I think I can help you, if you've got the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    BB:
    You've reccommended "Track of the Wolf" before. I've ordered from them in the past, myself, HOWEVER, the last time I tried, they wanted $19.25 for shipping a purchase of $16.96, (Two fixed Pwdr Measures, A Flint Chard, and their Catalog.)

I declined, and ordered from somewhere else.

Smitty of the North
    Boy, I would have declined too! I'll keep an eye out. I always "save up" for an order, waiting till I have quite a few items to order at once, and have never felt they got carried away. One thing I noticed was that at the time of ordering they give an estimate of shipping costs, but only charge for actual costs. That estimate is always lots higher than actual. Is that what you ran into?

Another very good company to deal with is The Gun Works. Since they're in the West (Oregon), I've managed to stop in a couple of times, and what a classy family! He died recently, but his wife Susie appears to be sustaining the business to the usual high standard. Their site is good, and they're quick to answer the phone and answer questions.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Boy, I would have declined too! I'll keep an eye out. I always "save up" for an order, waiting till I have quite a few items to order at once, and have never felt they got carried away. One thing I noticed was that at the time of ordering they give an estimate of shipping costs, but only charge for actual costs. That estimate is always lots higher than actual. Is that what you ran into?

Another very good company to deal with is The Gun Works. Since they're in the West (Oregon), I've managed to stop in a couple of times, and what a classy family! He died recently, but his wife Susie appears to be sustaining the business to the usual high standard. Their site is good, and they're quick to answer the phone and answer questions.
    I reely cawn't say. I complained to them in an email, and got some convoluted answer, that didn't make sense to me, so I relied with I don't understand what you're saying, and don't try to Baffle me with BEE SSS.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

I'd have done the same!

I do recall one small order that had a high estimated shipping cost that was pretty close to the cost of what I was ordering. They've got a comment/special instruction section in their order process, and I told them that if in fact the shipping was that high when I received it, I was going to return the order for a full refund. It showed up with shipping charges around 20 percent of what they estimated, IIRC. Can't find the box or the invoice at the moment, so I can't be more precise than that. The Gun Works charges actual shipping, and they'be mailed me complete rifles for less than $30 shipping.

BB:
    I told'em that other sites, were able to quote reasonable charges, and stick to them.

Deer Creek Products shipping was very reasonable. So was "The Possible Shop".

I wonder if "Track" has a deal to ship to Alaska, only with UPS, or even Fed Ex?

Here are the emails. (Not in correct order) Maybe you, can figger out what the guy is saying.
    Track of the Wolf, Inc.
    18308 Joplin Street North West

Dear :

Alaska is a special case.

Our web site calculates and displays "worst case" shipping cost to Alaska,
    based on the rules of USPS, UPS, and FEDEX. Some items may not legally be shipped by
    USPS but can be shipped by UPS or FEDEX. Loaded ammunition is one example, and some
    stains, solvents, aerosol sprays, and even chemical cleaners are restricted from US
    Mail.

Simply send a list of items, and request our quote for delivered cost.

We manually calculate shipping cost based on Weight, Catagory of the Product, Zone
    (commercial address, residential, rural, remote), Length (overlength fees now apply to
    USPS parcels under the term "baloon rate" if the parcel is large but light),
    value (third party insurance), and the cost of preparing the shipment (glass panels for
    lanterns require special packing; firearms are packed in overlength boxes with injected
    foam).

Small parcels (one rear sight, for instance) will ship as one pound, and you can probably
    add several more small items with NO increase in shipping.

We write all the code for our web site, in house. Our young genius web programmer will
    eventually sort through the rules and create code to "flag" which items cannot
    be shipped by Mail to Alaska. Trying to determine whether a parcel is
    "oversize" based on how the parts fit together in a box is much more difficult.
    The worst possible order is: One large heavy expensive hardcover book, plus one glass
    bottle of liquid, plus one 48" wooden ramrod. Seems simple. The cheapest way may
    be to make three parcels.

Humans can solve these problems, but a few hundred lines of javascript cannot do this
    work with the precision we expect. We will address this problem at some future date, not
    during 2010.

Until then, we must quote complex orders to Alaska manually.

Try it,

David
    :

Last night I was placing an order OnLine from Track of the Wolf, and upon learning the
    FREIGHT CHARGES, I canceled it.

I am not about to pay $19.95 freight, for a total of $16.96 worth of purchase. AND, I
    didn't.

I got the things I needed PLUS MORE, (More than double the amount of purchase) for a
    little over $10..00 in postage from another mail order business.

When you guys decide to ship via US Mail, I might be able to do business with you once in
    a while.

FYI, many people here in the Greatland are vigilant, to excessive freight charges, so
    although you won't lose a lot of business from me, you will lose business from others
    too, and it will add up.

I have made orders from TOTW before and cannot remember being charged exorbitant shipping
    before.

But, you go ahead and run your business any way you like, and I'll have the same choice
    with my purchases.

Thank You for your reply.

I really have no clue what you're talking about.

Other Businesses allow me order OnLine from their Websites, tell me the shipping charges, and ship USPS without costing me an arm and a leg.

I know, this, since I do a lot of ordering OnLine, so don't try to baffle me with BS.

The items I was attempting to order, were small items. Except for the Catalog, (Two fixed Pdr. Measures, and a Flint Chard.) They could have been sent in a envelope, which is not at all, complex. $19.25 Shipping???? Gimme a break.

I thought you might want to redress the situation. Since you don't, F'giddabowdit.
    You can't out-give God.

That is pretty strange, isn't it! Everything I've got from them has come USPS, usually in one of those flat rate boxes unless there's something in the order that's too big to fit. I'm wondering if the person you corresponded with knew is hiney from a hot rock.

BB:
    I guess, if I need to shop at Track in the future, and they've got something that no-one else, has, and that's sometimes the case, I could call them on the telephone, rather than do it OnLine.

Maybe, their pooter setup was unweildy. ???

Thanks for yer hep.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

My guess is that they got caught sending something via USPS that shouldn't have been and now they're passing the cost of the errors of their ways on to the consumer!

There's a lot of wisdom behind your speculation. In the past I've bought liquids from them that I couldn't get elsewhere without major shipping pains. Maybe I should have bought more before the hammer fell!

ext1811. I got the sight and put it on last night. I'm gonna go shoot it as soon as the heat index drops below 100.

Many thanks EKC

Glad the package made it to you. I actually forgot about it....too much on my mind from work, not enough on my mind from hunting. That unacceptable situation needs to change.

Enjoy your front stuffer.....
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for the shadow is mine and so is the valley. Thy Glock and thy M14 comfort me in days of civil unrest and terror