Thread: Is there a kenai EO in sight....

Lightbulb Is there a kenai EO in sight....

EO to goto 6 fish per day 12 in posesssion??? The numbers are getting pretty high, but I don't know what the threshold is for opening up the sporties......

Check out the thread Here they come......K/K sockeye storming upriver. On page two FishnPhysician states the requirements for the bag limit EO. By the way thanks FNP!
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

We are not even close yet. There is a nice amount of fish in the river but this is not EPIC. Not even close yet. When it hits the million mark things will happen. Untill then everyone be happy getting your 3 in a short time. I mean we are at what?? 500K or so. Just hope the numbers stay solid for another week then it will go up
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The certainty of getting 6 a day would go way up if the mgt plan was clarified to state that the obligation to deliver the inriver goal to the sonar rests entirely on the commercial fishery.... and from there, the OEG goal is solely the obligation of the recreational fishery.

The in-river goal is basically an allocative "insurance policy" for rec users funded by the commercial fleet. The "premium" basically buys coverage for at least 250K of upriver harvest (lower end inriver goal of 750K minus lower end OEG of 500K) at run-sizes of > 2 million reds. Once 750K can be confidently projected to the counter, 6 a day and 12 in possession is a slam dunk with an insurance policy providing > 250K of coverage.

We had quite a discussion about this a couple years ago. Maybe time to re-visit the sockeye mgt plan this board cycle.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/39326-Changes-to-the-Kenai-Late-run-Sockeye-Plan?highlight=
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

So another week to 10 days to 6/12 if things remain somewhat like now...

It'll be a lot sooner than that. Nearly 50K more inriver y'day. More than 2/3 of the way to the inriver goal with probably over 3 weeks of counting to go.

Reaching 750K is almost surely in the bag.

Big huddle for the run-size update will happen tomorrow after tabulating today's commercial catch.

E-eye
    E-eye
    O-o-o-o-o-o-h!
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

It might be a little wait for the Kenai 6/12, but it should happen on the Kasilof real soon. Kasilof is past the escapement number now. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

6:45 AM (2:45 AM Alaska time) tomorrow morning (Saturday the 24th) can not come any sooner for me. I catch the large silver bird out of Kansas City bound for Anchorage town & ultimately Soldotna and Cooper Landing. Looking forward to adding MULTIPLE fillets (salmon of all kinds, halibut, ling cod, & anything else that will be tasty on the grill or smoker!!!!) to the freezer.
    manliyfmbvj; hov f - Excuse me, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!

calm down dude. the fish will still be here when you arrive.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

EO not only in sight, it is here. EO for sport fish is 6 per day, 6 in possession starting tonight at midnight (Saturday morning) and 24 hour dipnet starting Saturday night. ADFG web site has it all. Nuproffesor you nailed it on the head, at least for sport fishing.

2 seconds before I checked this thread, I was telling my gf about how an EO was close to happening.
    Good timing!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

As of July 22, the comm nets pulled in 2,141,143 reds. Magic number met, keep your hooks sharp. Now just waiting for the Kasilof to pop loose too. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Whats the best spot for 2 teens to fish? Would sorta like to be away from the crowds a lil bit more
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Whats the best spot for 2 teens to fish? Would sorta like to be away from the crowds a lil bit more
    Go to the Sanctuary, get on the opposite side of the river across from the highway, and walk. You will find that people do not like to walk down that far. There will be a few people, but if you keep going they'll die out.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Right from ADFG:

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...eyeFinalRB.pdf

Remember, this doesn't include Russian or other FFO areas!