Thread: Fish creek opens saturday, july 24, to dipnetting!

Default Fish creek opens saturday, july 24, to dipnetting!

That's right folks, the EO was just published. Fish Creek to open to dipnetting at 6am Saturday, the 24th, until July 31, from 6am to 11pm. Escapement is already 29,000, and at this rate the upper end is likely to be exceeded, so the fishery is justified. Fish ON!

Hey thats cool close to me so i might head down then im the AM. Gonna have to buy a dipnet now i think
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

EO for Fish Creek. A new wrinkle this year is that all species other than kings may be kept. So no more scalefree silvers will be needlessly sent to the bottom of the inlet this year...

Last year all the poor silvers just died on the bank How do you think about sunday early mourning for dipping? Sister would bring me and we bring her dog. Most likely just me dippin but dont want to look like a noob infront of everyone
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Last year all the poor silvers just died on the bank How do you think about sunday early mourning for dipping? Sister would bring me and we bring her dog. Most likely just me dippin but dont want to look like a noob infront of everyone
    Just my $.02 worth, but I personally would advise all to leave dogs and kids at home. The area 100 yards below the highway is nothing but Smuggler's Cove type mud, it is ungodly sticky and dangerous, especially when the tide is coming in. I have seen people get really stuck in that stuff and kids as well as dogs are going to be covered in it from end to end. Stay on the hard stuff and out of the river channel and you will be fine, but pets and younguns just don't know better. I was in on a dog rescue down there years ago and I sure don't ever want to do that again. Also, bring a 5 gallon bucket to sit on.

With regard to the private property issues already posted on this forum in another thread, is it possible to find hard stuff below the mean high water mark or are we only allowed to access the hard stuff on these mystery "non-private" land areas that no one seems to be able to explain the access to?

What I refer to as the hard stuff is just the gray Smuggler’s Cove type mud that doesn't get covered with water. Any of that mud that is below high tide level at any time retains enough water to get you stuck. The hard stuff has beach grass growing in it and isn't so bad, other than being messy and slippery, but get out anywhere there isn't any grass and you are tempting fate. If you do, don't stand still very long. Basically, if it is gray, it is going to be messy, if it is gray and has no grass, it can be nasty. Some say it is no worse than Ship Creek, but I haven't been there, so I don't know.

One more thing to add to this that might help folks to remember to be careful, and this applies to any gray mud, "If it ain't got grass, watch yo ass."

Agreed on the mud, it's pretty treacherous.

And very cool about allowing any species to be caught except kings. Last year we netted more slivers than reds. Was a time consuming chore getting them back in the water safely.