Thread: The sad state of strike anywhere matches.

Default The sad state of strike anywhere matches.

Looks like the disposable lighter has pretty much killed off the good old fashion strike anywhere match. Iím a part of the problem as I have used lighters for years.
    Recently I wanted some strike anywheres and discovered in short order that they are a little hard to find (Wally world and REI have them). Once I got them, they were a very sad imitation of the good old Ohio blue tips of my youth. The match heads were significantly smaller and the tiny spot of strike anywhere material on the tip would only light reliably off the box (as opposed to your zipper, teeth, seat of pants, nearest board etc.) A little internet searching revealed that Diamond had closed the original factory and moved production.
    One ray of hope is that Canada has its own brand, ďRed BirdĒ strike anywheres. You canít get a box short of driving to Canada to buy one and Iím not headed there this year so I have no idea how good they are. Anyone here have any experience with them? If youíre coming through this year bring a box by Eagle River and we can find out. J
    While I guess we can get along without them it just seems like another piece of reliable low tech gear is gone. (Not to mention various youthful mayhem such as the strike anywhere aluminum foil rocket)

Ya I know what you mean. They're more like Strike Nowhere matches, the tips seem to just flake off. I've been know to use a lighter to light em

I buy my strike anywhere matches at carrs/safeway. Look in the toothpick/charcoal/paper plate section. It saves me a trip to Canada.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

There was something in the Survival forum I think about storm matches - like this: http://www.stormmatches.com/.
    Eagle might have some - though they'll be spendy if they do.
    Computerized inventory systems and marketing seem to have crowded out the low-margin, slow moving stuff anymore.

What a concept though - The AOD/OSA Group buy for matches! Winter trip anyone?

The ones at Carrs etc are the same whimpy ones I was refering to earlier. The storm matches are great, but they must be lit on the packaged strip (I have them in my survival kit). Once lit they burn a loooong time, even under water. Overkill for what I was thinking of. I'm hoping to find the good old pop em with your thumb nail, light the cigar ones from back in the day.

I have some bad news for you. The Red Bird ones are exactly the same crap. Don't bother with them.

Sad, kids these days will never learn how to make a "Mini-Grenade" with two bolts a nut and a few strike anywhere matches.

2Paws this 53 year old kid wants to know how to make a mini grenade. Please explain
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Sent you a PM, check it out and tell me what you think. An old man that was a member of a gang way back in the day showed me this once. They would carry bags of them and throw them at rival members in groups. This was back in the 40's, early 50's.

Thanks for the info JeffR. I wonder what they use in Mexico?

Yep. I sell Diamonds. They have the nerve to say "new and improved" on the box, but they aren't.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I've tried everything to replace Ohio Blue Tips and refill my Marbles Match Safes......nothing has worked.....I have some of the Redbirds here and they are crap too.

Dave,

This thread got to bothering me so I tested matches while burning trash.....The Diamond Stike Anywhere ignited off the box only and no where else......the Red Birds ignited off the box and my rusty trash barrel AND my zipper.....no luck on the seat of my blue jeans....The Red Bird QC is variable as the amount of white tip varies greatly....probably 50% appear to have the amount we are accustomed to.

Both boxes of matches are stored together and should not differ in moisture content.

I think Red Bird are junk as well. I use lighters now. Not only is the tip unreliable but the wood is crap and will often break off right below the red. By the way, you don't want that to happen when you strike on your zipper.

Looks like you can order Diamond strike anywhere matches on Amazon. Got some online a few years ago and they were rather hard to find. Found mine at some website that sells old stuff and clothes to folks that are into the cowboy action shooting events. Looks like a good time to stock up.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Dan- Beware. Like I said above, I sell new manufacture Diamonds and they are not as good as the old made in U.S.A. ones.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You might try Fred Meyers..They carry Penley brand that is somewhat better than Diamond.