Thread: Who do we have to thank?

Default Who do we have to thank?

Who is responsible for the proposals to ban ATV's in unit 13 and to salvage entire moose carcass? I know the ATV issue has been a hot topic for years but to actually require a person to bring out head, hide, guts and all is alittle over the top. Who is BOG listening to and what ever happened to commonsense ?????

I could be wrong, but I think the BOG came up with this one themselves. The idea is to make the Tier II hunt such an ordeal that less people will apply, thus freeing up some of the harvestable caribou for a drawing hunt. If this happened, a lot of people would be happy with the proposal.

-Brian

Default True but

What BM said is true but with additional information. Since the new requirements are going to be placed on the Tier II groups (and I heard of this being discussed two years ago), the Tier II people feel that if the new restrictions are going to be placed on them, why not make it fair and include everyone.

The above factor is probably why you are seeing so many proposals on Unit 13 this year. But the proposals run the ganutlet. Archery season, open it to non-residents and complete elimination of the season are only a few proposals.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Ahtna came up with the salvage of everything for general season moose hunters, since Tier 2 hunters had to salvage everything. Here is their proposal to the BOG.

PROPOSAL 192 - 5 AAC 92.220. Salvage of game, meat, furs, and hides. Amend the
    regulations as follows:
    Those who hunt under the general hunt in Unit 13 for moose and caribou must salvage the
    Nelchina caribou and moose head, heart, liver, kidneys, and hides.
    ISSUE: The board must apply the salvage requirement to all hunters in Unit 13, not just the
    Tier II moose and caribou permit holders. The hunters who hunt under the general hunt must
    have the salvage requirement placed upon them.
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE? The Tier II permit holders will have
    restrictions placed upon them that are unfair to them, while other hunters will not have
    restrictions placed upon them in Unit 13 for moose and caribou salvage requirements.
    WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR PRODUCTS
    PRODUCED BE IMPROVED? No.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT? Tier II permit holders would not be the only hunters in
    Unit 13 to have salvage requirements placed upon them.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? Those who hunt under the general hunt will have salvage
    requirements placed upon them and they will have to salvage the head, heart, liver, kidneys, and
    hides.
    OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? Repeal the requirement to the Tier II permit holders
    that makes it mandatory for them to carry the hides out of the field.
    PROPOSED BY: Ahtna Tene Nene’ Subsistence Committee (SC-07S-G-036)

Ahtna also came up with the proposal to limit offhighway vehicles to 1500 lbs. Due to the amunt of damage done to the tundra by vehicles going around bogs created a braided trail where a single track once existed. I find this contradictory in nature due to the smaller vehicles causing this braiding of the trail network. The larger vehicles are the ones that made the trails to begin with and have been using them before statehood.

I am only speaking about Swede Lake trail. That is the only trail I have personal knowledge of but I am sure others are the same.

Here is the proposal.

PROPOSAL 189 - 5 AAC 92.080(4)(F). Unlawful methods for taking game; exceptions.
    Amend this regulation to provide the following:
    The use of off road vehicles weighing more than 1500 lbs is prohibited in Unit 13 and all such
    off- road-vehicles must be driven on established trails.
    ISSUE: The Ahtna Tene Nene’ Subsistence Committee would like to place a weight restriction
    of 1500 lbs or less on all off-road-vehicles, and limit use of them in Unit 13 to designated and
    posted trails.
    WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF NOTHING IS DONE? The tundra in Unit 13 will continue to
    be ruined by heavy weight off road vehicles. The existing trails are being widened and braided
    by people making new trails whenever they get stuck in the mud. It takes approximately 100
    years for the tundra to recover from damage done by heavy weight off road vehicles.
    WILL THE QUALITY OF THE RESOURCE HARVESTED OR PRODUCTS
    PRODUCED BE IMPROVED? No.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO BENEFIT? The people who do not have heavy off road vehicles
    within Unit 13 will benefit through this restriction by the reduced number of hunters in Unit 13
    competing for resources. The land owners will benefit by land hunters not crossing on their land.
    WHO IS LIKELY TO SUFFER? The hunters who utilize these heavy machines in Unit 13
    while they are in the field hunting for large game animals will suffer because they use these
    machines to hunt so that they can travel 20 miles off the highway system.
    OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? Remove the salvage requirements of moose and
    caribou hides for Tier II permit holders in Unit 13. The salvage requirement of hides which weigh approximately 300 lbs force hunters to use off road vehicles. Removing this requirement
    will help eliminate the need for off road vehicles, if that is what the board is proposing to do.
    PROPOSED BY: Ahtna Tene Nene’ Subsistence Committee (SC-07S-G-037)

They listen to who screams the loudest, and that's usually self-important people without employment.

Default Not only Tier II!

Guys, I can't stress this enough, it's not only for the Tier II hunts but also for the General Season Harvest Moose.

There is an old but true saying; "The sqeaky wheel gets the grease"! Well, that sqeaky wheel has been AHTNA shareholders.

Now is the time for HUNTERS to unite and be heard to stop proposal #191 and to get the Salvage Requirements changed back to the way they were, that is unles you want to bring out the HIDE, HEAD, HEART, KIDNEYS and LIVER.

Proposal #189 is the general season moose hunt restrictions from Ahtna.

Default Off Road

The off road deal got started two years ago when someone from my home town took a big wheeled vehicle out across one of the bogs and left huge tracks. They were seen up on top of the vehicle spotting and other activities. An artice was written in the Valdez Star about the incident. There was also one other vehicle if I remember from Delta (??) that did almost the same thing.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The hide, guts and head would just go to the dump.

Default Why not?

Why not retrieve the hide and heart on any subsistence hunt?

Organ meat such as the liver and kidneys are not healthy to eat but the heart sure is.

The hide should definitely be brought out as it is a very very very useable piece of the animal that is supposedly being killed for "subsistence" purposes.

I like the proposal that the antlers had to be turned over to the state