Thread: Winchester Mod 70 Extreme Weather SS vs Remington Mod 700 XCR ll

Default Winchester Mod 70 Extreme Weather SS vs Remington Mod 700 XCR ll

I haved decided to go with .338 Winchester Magnum round. I want to spent close to $1000.00 , so I have more money for glass. I went to the local guns store here on the Kenai Peninsula. I held and worked the action on a Kimber , Tikka, Winchester, and Remington. leary of the Kimber because of all the hype anf light weight.

I'm not concerned about weight, more about durability and accuracy.

I grew up a Remington 700 and old winchester fan.

Win 70 Extreme Weather SS, light trigger,good stock, bedded, free floated barrel, target crown, claw extractor and solid recoil lug.

on the other hand, Remington 700 XCR ll, excellent finish, good stock, light trigger. I have alway had good accuracy in the past right out of the box. but might need to float the barrel and add alum ferrels to stock screws.

So I would like your opinion of which one based on personal experence or gun shop owner or gunsmith knowledge to help me decide. 700 has always been a standby, but I'm intrigued with the new 70 specs. But the proof is in the pudding , so I woul like hear from you.

Thanks, ctaylorak

Moose and bear hunting in Alaska.

I did search the forum and saw similair threads, but they were older and didn't deal with the new win mod 70.

The new Winchester Extreme weather Mod 70s are great rifles. I bought one in 325 wsm and liked it so much I bought the wife one in 270 WSM to replace her Remington Alaskan TI in 270wsm.

Both shoot sub moa right from the start with Winchester factory ammo.

Here are a few threads.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-SS?highlight=
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rt.?highlight=

I know it might not make much difference to some, but have you thought about which safety you prefer? I myself am use to and prefer the two position of the Remington. Just something to think about.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I had the same question a few years back. I picked the Remington XCR. With hand loads I get .92" groups at 100 yards right out of the box, so to speak, and that was with it chambered in 375 H&H.

Ron

I like the Winchesters more, but thats a personal preference. The remingtons are also good rifles. I don't think the 338 model 70s are available yet. I haven't seen any available yet at the local gun shops. So, if you need a gun for this fall, you may end up with a remington.

I think all of the choices you mention are nice rifles... personally I've had good success with Kimbers in spite of the hype so I wouldn't be too leary if you found a decent deal. Of the two you specifically talk about, I'd lean to the M70 in preference to the safety alone. I've got a couple of rifles with Remington type safeties and I can't seem to get used to them. YMMV.

Thanks for the opinions and the links to other threads. I decide on the Win mod 70 extreme weather SS.they do seem hard to find right now , production on the .338 hasn't gotten fully tooled up. But , I have my local gun guy trying to find one for me. Know all I have to decide is what glass for it to sport. I'm still trying to decide between Nikon Monarch Gold 1.5-6X42 with 30mm tube, Leupold vx-3 3.5-10X40, leupold fx-3 6X42 , or Zeiss Conquest 3-9X40.

Thanks everyone

For the money, the conquest is the best value.

The choice between those two can really be a hard one. I like the M-70 safety since it locks the firing pin.... But I like how accurate the M-700 can shoot...I like Kimber's, but would be more worried about their crappy customer service than anything else.

I was scope shopping and the guys at GNG in Anchorage were trying to sell me a Zeiss Conquest scope. They kept telling me how it was better at gathering light. So I compared a few..
    Well I took them all out on their porch at sun-down and looked at a sign on a house about 150 yards down a side street. They have a qizmo that holds two scopes at a time on an old rifle stock.
    I settled on a 3x9 Leupold Euro-model (30mm) with a German #4 for one rifle and a Leupold 4.5x14 VXIII with a Boone and Crockett Reticle for the other rifle. They both seemed to be brighter and better for my eyes in failing light.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

production on the .338 hasn't gotten fully tooled up.
    We havent seen a .338 yet (except Super Grades) and dont think we will this year. We are direct with Winchester btw so usually get first crack at them

For the money, the conquest is the best value.
    Absolutely