Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suspension seats?

Default suspension seats?

I've got a 20'wooly sport and the 2 front seats a mounted on storage boxes with swivels. I've seen some of the "big" suspension seats that are mounted directly to the floor, maybe truck seats. What i am looking for is something a little smaller, as I don't want to lose the storage by taking out the boxes and installing "big " suspension seats. I was wondering if there was a smaller verson out there to mount on top of the boxes. I realize I will lose some suspension travel, but at this point ANY travel would be better than none!!! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    I've got a 20'wooly sport and the 2 front seats a mounted on storage boxes with swivels. I've seen some of the "big" suspension seats that are mounted directly to the floor, maybe truck seats. What i am looking for is something a little smaller, as I don't want to lose the storage by taking out the boxes and installing "big " suspension seats. I was wondering if there was a smaller verson out there to mount on top of the boxes. I realize I will lose some suspension travel, but at this point ANY travel would be better than none!!! Any suggestions? Thanks!
    Like These. They ride real well and simple to adjust. Attachment 36751

These will add six inches to the height of the seat when installed on your existing storage box, shipping was spendy but well worth it for me. I installed one of these this year without modifying the box height. I prefer the current height over the original.

http://www.smoothmovesseats.com/index.html

PS chico99645 I could not get your link to work

07 Ocean Pro 220 ET HT
    115 Yamaha
    Garmin 740S, GMR 18 HD
    Airmar TM 260-MM

chico I couldn't get the link to work either.

SEATS.JPG

This is the pic. Still learning these new site upgrades.

chico, have any clue where i could pick up a set of those? I also like skinny ravens Idea as they still swivel! Just seeing what the difference in cost is.
    Thanks for the suggestions!!

chico, have any clue where i could pick up a set of those? I also like skinny ravens Idea as they still swivel! Just seeing what the difference in cost is.
    Thanks for the suggestions!!
    Mine came with the boat when I bought it new. I just called Deweys and they said they don't sell them, that I or you can just order them directly from Hewescraft. Their phone number is 1-800-326-6594

thanks chico for the info!

Tblooma give Wooldridge a call they use some that will fit on your box's and have some travel as well as being light I don't know the brand but they have done quite a few in the Fairbanks area. Tell Grant or Glen they are like the ones on MR Phil Popes Alaskan II, they will know.

Be aware that Hewescraft calls these "medium duty" seats, and they have a 250# rating, which is about 10# less than what I weigh (6'4", 260#). I disassembled the driver's seat and purchased heavier springs of the same type (internet, not available locally of course). Voila! No more bottoming out.

This is one of those things I'd change if I had it to do over again - order the boat with the Heavy Duty seats. I looked into retrofitting, and it's more than $1200 per seat, plus exorbitant shipping. In my little mind, I can't justify that when I have serviceable seats that are doing the job.

Chico, I'm pretty sure we were trolling together last week out of Seward. SWEET looking boat dude

Both Attwood and Tempress make a SAS..shock absorbing seat in the $300 range. I have one of the Tempress units that I'll put in my boat on the odd chance I ever finnish the **** thing. If you'd like to see one in the flesh, I'm in E. Anch. Just send me a pm if you want to set it up.

Im pretty happy with the jeep suspension seats I had put in my riverboat, we've been up to the entrance to devils canyon in the thing a couple times now and a trip that used to be a couple hours of hard pounding is pretty pleasent, even for the folks in the back seats. I dont know what the weight rating is on the things, but they are plenty stout.

Quote Originally Posted by chriso View Post
    Im pretty happy with the jeep suspension seats I had put in my riverboat, we've been up to the entrance to devils canyon in the thing a couple times now and a trip that used to be a couple hours of hard pounding is pretty pleasent, even for the folks in the back seats. I dont know what the weight rating is on the things, but they are plenty stout.
    Do you have a link or pics of the seats you installed? I am not happy w/ the cheap seats in my early 90's wooly at all.

Default not the best pic... but sort of shows them

The back seat has 4 slots each with their own individual cross-webbing suspension, the front buckets of course are individual too. They are really lightweight compared to the truck style spring or air suspensions and seem pretty comfortable to everyone whose ridden in them so far, even in the chop and wave trains on the upper susitna. It seemed like kind of a spendy move initially but when I compared them to the cost of the typical jet boat upholstery package it was actually about a wash. I think the front buckets were about 300 apiece plus something like 30 bucks for each of the 6 pairs of heaters, 15 for the rear seat pouchs on the driver and navigator buckets (which I dont think I've ever used) 30 more for each of the adjustable headrests (havent seen anyone adjust them yet either) also, they were a bit more spendy due to the adjustable tilt seat back front buckets which nobody has ever adjusted since original...

There are lots of quality off-road racing suspension seat manufacturers out there if you do some searching on the internet. I went with PRP Seats (www.prpseats.com) because they were one of the ones who offered custom width rear benches and heaters.

The mounts are very solid and low profile, (sliding mounts are another option they will charge you additional for) you'd need to likely build a box or something to elevate them somewhat for comforts sake and visibility, but they wont be ripping loose from the floorboards if you have a heavy passenger lean sideways or stumble against them or something like that.

It's been a while since I've posted any pics, is there something up with photobucket lately?

Looks like you might have to paste this address in your web browser until I can re-figure out the photobucket deal.
    %%
    Last edited by LuJon; 08-01-2010 at 14:21.

ooks like that doesnt work either now. If you pm me, I'll email you a couple pics. Or can you recommend another photo service besides photobucket?

The problem is with the forum software. Try posting with three %%% signs at the top of the post, notice it turns the first one into &837 which is an HTML coding problem. It only does it to the first one but usually that first one is in the photobucket link. PITA I know but we are waiting on a patch from vbulletin to fix it

How 'bout this "fix"? (dont need no stinkin photbucket when you got AOD!)

I think if I was doing it again, I'd get fixed, low back buckets with the same low profile sides like I have for easy getting in and out of them. The higher sides might be nice for hard cornering, but most of us dont crank that many g's in our corners anyway. also wish I'd asked thm to not make the seatbelt slots in them... I didnt see that one coming because I told them it was for a boat, but I guess them "jeepsters" dont speak in nautical terms!

Anyway, I always wanted suspension for my family too, now even the wife doesnt mind riding in the back with the kids, that many spring or air ride bases would easily have added up to at least a few hundred pounds.

Oh MAN!! The wife is gonna be stoked!!! Finally a warm caboose while fishing!! I am not going to mention anything about retrofitting this on my old boat, I think instead I am going to sell it and tell her it is an option on the brand new wooldridge SJ!

I really like the 4 person bench but I would want it easily removable down to a flat load floor. It would be really sweet to have a 2pc bench that mounted on posts so that you configure them like yours or you could pull them out and set them up center facing on each side of the boat. This may just have to be my wife's graduation present to myself... (I paid to put her through school so why should she get a present? Her present was the education!!)

It probably wouldnt be that hard to make a 4 pin setup for fast removal like your talking about, mine is bolted to brackets on top of a 65 gallon fuel tank so it's up off the floor about 8-10 inches but I'v thought about removign it during hunting season and putting a piece of plywood on top of the tank so I could haul stuff without worrying about cutting or ripping the seats, right now I'd have to remove 4 3/8" bolts, and unplug 4 heaters, but pins would make it even easier and faster.

I had a conventional set of box seats in a jetboat at one time that worked almost exactly like you described, they were pinned to the floorboards on each gunnel facing each other, or you could unpin and place them across the boat in front of the motor compartment like you're describing. It was pretty handy and of course they were really easy to remove from the boat altogether for major freight hauling. I think these offroad outfits could do that for you, I saw a few of them that offered a double seat, if you got a pair of them I bet they'd fit across your hull from gunnel to gunnel, and then like you said, you could build a setup to pin them on the outboard sides facing one another too. If the stock double seats were too wide, then you'd have to get one of them who builds custom width stuff like this PRP outfit, to make you a matched pair that would fit your dimensions.

Like I said, I know they're not cheap, but they are very stout, and compared to the air rides at 800 bucks a pop upgrade it worked out to be about the same overal expense for me as I'd have spent for the traditional box seats in the back plus air rides up front (excepting the heater add-ons maybe)

In my book, its a pretty good present for the wife when I get to stop hearing about her sore back or her excuses about why she doesnt want to come with! Suspension + heat... you might be able to convince her the wave trains are actually a massage method huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast