Thread: 6.5mm wsm vs. 7mm wsm?????

Default 6.5mm wsm vs. 7mm wsm?????

Mark Bansner is making me one of his ultimate ovis rifles. I was originally intending to have it chambered in 7mm wsm. I spoke with a cousin recently who suggested I go with a 6.5mm wsm due to the ballistic superiority of the 6.5mm bullet for long range shooting. I reload so having a wildcat cartridge isn't a problem. I'm thinking about loading with Swift scirocco 2 bullets. Swift makes a 6.5mm 130gr scirocco with a SD of .266 and a BC of .571. Swift makes a 7mm 150gr scirocco with a SD of .266 and a BC of .515. I'm not like all the other studs on here shooting goats and sheep at 800 yards or more . I'd like to keep my shooting to 400 yards or less, so this doesn't have to be a 1000 yard gun. What are your thoughts about the practical differences between the 6.5mm wsm vs. the 7mm wsm for distances out to 500yards?

Brett

PS. I'm waiting to hear back from Swift. When I do I'll post expected velocities for the two bullets out of their respective cartridges.

Aproximate velocities for the 130gr 6.5mm and 150gr 7mm bullets will be 3100fps.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    What are your thoughts about the practical differences between the 6.5mm wsm vs. the 7mm wsm for distances out to 500yards?
    I've used their bigger and older counterparts: 264 WM & 7 RM. For deer sized animals I can't tell any practical difference in the field. The 6.5 has bullets of superior B.C., but this is not a big deal under 500 yards (it will not amount to more than a few inches of drop or drift). The main advantage of the 264 WM (6.5 WSM) is recoil. While the 7mm cartridges are not punishing, the 6.5 will be softer yet and will deliver similar external and terminal ballistics on animals under 300 pounds. I'll add that .264 bullets can be long enough to encroach on powder space and this fact diminishes certain options in selecting bullets that will function through some short action magazines. Another thought is that I would want at least a 24 inch barrel on a high intensity 6.5 cartridge and you can get by nicely on a 23 or even 22 inch 7mm WSM.

I understand trying to make the "right" choice for a Bansner rifle, but in the end I think you'll find either cartridge is an excellent performer for your stated purposes--I know their granddads (264 WM/7 RM) are fine cartridges.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Brett

The only large difference I can add is in bullet weight - heavier weight bullets are available in the .284 but if you stick in the range that you mention with the 130gr 6.5 or 150gr in the 7mm I think it's a toss up. Nice dilemna though!

Take a look in at a ballistics table, at under 500 yards you will see that a 10 percent change in BC is just not an issue. My Speer book does not list a BC of .52 or .57 but it does list .50 and .56.

With a muzzle velocity of 3100 and zeroing at 300 yards you get the fallowing.

BC .50
    4.0 inch high at 200, 25.2 inch low at 500, 2190 fps at 500

BC .56
    3.9 inch high at 200, 24.1 inch low at 500, 2279 fps at 500

In reality these differences are so small as to not matter.

If you still can not make up your mind why not; split the difference and go 270 wsm.

If you want to build a rifle you won't be able to resell without taking a huge loss, then go with the 6.5wsm. To be honest with you, the LAST chambering I'd consider would be a 6.5wsm.

The 7wsm is very hard to beat, IMO. If ultra high BC is your aim, then the 162amax is your bullet. But, a 150 S2 wouldn't be a bad choice either. I like the 160 Barnes XLC at 3k out of my 7wsm for big game hunting though.

Brett,

Have you considered a 6.5-284? It might be easier for handloading since reloading data, factory barss and dies are available.

Is there any advantage with the 6.5 Wsm(velocity etc.)?

I'm still waiting for Blaser to send my 6.5-284 barrel.

Sean

I looked at the 6.5-284, 6.5wsm, .270wsm, and 7wsm. I really don't see much difference in bullet weight and performance between the 6.5s and .270. The .270 bullets are the worst for BC and SD, so I kind of narrowed it down to the 6.5s and the 7wsm. I'm just not seeing any great advantage from the higher BC 6.5s at ranges I'm comfortable shooting (and quite frankly anyone has any business shooting at animals). You notice a slight difference at 400 yards and even at 500 yards the trajectory is too similar to really matter. I think I like the idea of the heavier 150 grain bullet from the 20 hundredths bigger bore in bear country. I spoke with Mark Bansner today and he said in the 7wsm with a 24" barrel I should be pushing the 150gr Sciroccos at least 3100fps and maybe a bit more. I think I'm just going to stick with the 7wsm. Thanks for the input guys. I wanted some feedback to see if I was missing something. I have to send him the scope (Swarovski Z3 3-9x36mm) for it and hopefully I'll have the rifle by the end of August/begining of September. I'll post pictures and targets when I get her. Thanks again.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Adam Barringer View Post
    ...I spoke with Mark Bansner today and he said in the 7wsm with a 24" barrel.....I have to send him the scope (Swarovski Z3 3-9x36mm) for it...
    Sounds like it is a nice build. Should be a great rifle for your purpose. Just a thought about bullet selection. I've been using 150 NBTs at more than 3400 mv from a STW for many years. On animals like goats and sheep the NBT might prove an excellent choice. Though there are no flies on the Scirocco II, the 150 NBTs (.284) are simply devastating on 'bou.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.