Thread: How to tell when a fish hits drifted roe...

Default How to tell when a fish hits drifted roe...

I got the chance to go to Willow Creek past Wasilla a couple of days ago and fished for fresh silvers that were holding by the mouth of Willow Creek. After Vibrax spinners failed, I began to drift roe and immediatly got my limit. My only problem however was that it was hard to tell the difference between the pesky trout that kept nibbling at the eggs and the silvers that would mouth it gently. I ended up setting the hook when I felt solid resistance, but wasted quite a few eggs in the process. Anybody want to fill me in on how to tell the difference between an actual bite and the bottom, trout, suckers ect... Thanks.

It take some practice to get the feel for bites when bottom bouncing.
    One thing that will help is to use braid and a good sensitive rod.
    I run braid to a 3 way swivel dropper rig and then a couple of feet of mono or flouro to the hook.
    The sensitivity of braid really helps detect light biters.
    The more you do it the better you will get at knowing what is going on at the business end of your line.

Hit 'em all and let God sort them out...

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

The best way to tell is set the hook! Seriously, when bottom bouncing eggs, you will inevitably set the hook on rocks, logs, dollies etc. etc. etc. Will you go through a lot of eggs? You better believe it!

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Will you go through a lot of eggs? You better believe it!
    If you want to save on egg use you could always tie in mesh like we do on the Great Lakes.
    Roe bags last a heck of a lot longer than skein in an egg loop.
    We will even go through the trouble to scrape the eggs from the skien before curing and tying.
    Lots more work, but when eggs are at a preimium it does stretch out your supply.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Right on Drifter! I was born and raised in Michigan, I know all about roe sacs!

i was born in MI but left when i was 15 months old, but been back enough time to tie a few roe sacs myself..popular down there. suprised i don't see it more up here.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I guess I need to learn to read.....I thought it wasnt open for bait but it is.
    Last edited by Trouthead; 07-21-2010 at 20:22. Reason: ignorance
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

Quote Originally Posted by crowdcor225 View Post
    I got the chance to go to Willow Creek past Wasilla a couple of days ago and fished for fresh silvers that were holding by the mouth of Willow Creek. After Vibrax spinners failed, I began to drift roe and immediatly got my limit. My only problem however was that it was hard to tell the difference between the pesky trout that kept nibbling at the eggs and the silvers that would mouth it gently. I ended up setting the hook when I felt solid resistance, but wasted quite a few eggs in the process. Anybody want to fill me in on how to tell the difference between an actual bite and the bottom, trout, suckers ect... Thanks.
    If you wanna save eggs..... when you think you are getting a bite, DO NOT SWING!

Reel into the bite!

If it's just bottom, you won't violently jerk your eggs off the loop.

If it's a trout your rod will load up with mild to moderate weight that culminates in a head shake as the fish tries to rid it's mouth of your hook.... now SET! Those eggs are toast regardless.

If it's a salmon, your rod will load up a lot of weight that culminates in a big head shake as Mr Salmon tries to rid his mouth of your offending hook.... now SET... and hang on for the ride!

If you are gonna fish eggs with the expectation of releasing fish (obviously the case whenever trout are around in any numbers), rig with a hangback amputee to virtually eliminate the risk of a mortal hooking wound.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Can someone tell me the correct setup to use when fishing with roe. The only fishing I have done so far in Alaska is fly fishing on the Russian and charters. Thanks.

ive done it to ways ever...but on a bare hook with an egg loop put the eggs on get the bobber and let it bounce down stream...the second and the way i would do it is...just go buy a spin-n-glo set up and put that on with some weights about a foot an a half up the line...hope this helps any

Usually your line will stop during the drift when a salmon picks up your bait or your hung up. I like use a high vis line which is a great strike indicator. Trout will tap tap tap on your bait. Bobber and eggs is effective especially in rivers with snaggy bottoms.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 07-22-2010 at 12:28. Reason: spelling

I don't here much about circle hooks when fishing eggs. Has anyone tried to experiment using a slip bobber & circle to try to reduce mortality?

Bobber is my absolute favorite way to fish salmon eggs. You know the takedown immediately and you can tell the difference between a rock and a fish. Plus you don't get hung up.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

my first thought was "bobber"
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.