Thread: BLM Administered Land???

Default BLM Administered Land???

What does BLM Administered Land mean to the average guy that lives in Anchorage. For example somebody was asking me about hunting the Tangle Lakes/Delta River area for moose. I happened to have a copy of the State regs and saw that the area was shaded Blue/other federal lands. So, I pick up a copy of the Federal Regs and it says the area is BLM Admin Land. Can I/he hunt it or not? Do I need to get a permit or can I get a permit to hunt this area? I am not even thinking we are going to hunt it I am really just curious of what it all means.

Troy,

First off, the state regs show what hunts are available in Unit 13, some moose hunts require a permit, others don't, they just have qualifiers as to you can only shoot spike fork or moose with 50" and above antler spread, or a certain number of brow tines on one side.

In the Tangle Lakes Archeological District, you can only use a four-wheeler on designated trails. The Delta Wild and Scenic River may have some other regs that are specific to those fed lands, but not sure offhand what they are. You should check with the BLM agency that administers the Delta WSR with specific questions. But yes, you can hunt there.

In my experience, it's mostly the National Wildlife Refuges that have differing fed regs you need to be aware of. And all BLM lands typically have differing fed subsistence seasons for fed-qualified subsistence users. If you can't find answers in the fed regs, call the respective agency that administers those lands. Good luck,

Just got off the phone with BLM office in Glennallen. I can use/cross the BLM Admistered Land to access the state land. I am not allowed to harvest game within the BLM area if I do not qualify for a subsistence permit for that area. I had know idea that the AK Urbanites were not allowed to hunt around Tangle Lakes, Gulkana River, Delta River and some areas of the Richardson Hwy south of Black Rapids Glacier. The front of the state hunting regs say "For hunts on Federal land, check federal regulations..." I am beginning to see why.

Default Correction to information from BLM

OHTroy,
    My name is Elijah Waters. I work for the BLM in Glennallen, and today I am acting for the Field Manager, who is out of the office. About an hour ago this post was brought to my attention.

The information that you received is in error. BLM administed lands in the Glennallen Field Office boundaries are open to ALL hunters. The staffer who took the question didn't fully understand the question or didn't fully understand the issue. There are federal hunts and associated regulations, however these only apply to federally qualified users and only in designated federal hunting areas. Federal hunting areas do NOT exclude other hunters legally hunting under State of Alaska regulations or permits. I apologize for the confusion that this may have caused.

I do not regularly check this forum, so please direct any questions to our office at (907) 822-3217.

Elijah

Quote Originally Posted by EW View Post
    The information that you received is in error.
    I do not regularly check this forum, so please direct any questions to our office at (907) 822-3217.
    Very typical to receive erroneous info from the very people who should know.
    Troy, your question is in regard to hunting on BLM land. Open up the state reg book. Look thru the various units. Some units, under some species, will have a star in the yellow area. By the star it will say, "federal restrictions exist". Unit 9, Moose is an example. When the star is there, you then need to get the fed reg book out and read it. In some cases the fed book will say, "federal public lands are closed to the taking of (species) except by qualified subsistence users." That means city folk can't play. Sometimes fed lands are closed to everyone.
    Anyway, the area you asked about in unit 13 has no star by any species, in the state book. Neither does the fed reg book mention any closures to non subsistence folk. So your free to play.
    Rather than call a BLM, Park service, Refuge office, etc. etc. (where your likely to get wrong info) call, or stop by, the Office of Subsistence Management. It's right there in Anch. off Tudor. They are the ones who deal day to day, with fed managment of subsistence hunting and fishing.
    I'll have to speak to my buddy in the Nome BLM office about how lacking the Glennallen office is in understanding the regs!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default confusing and silly

it is amazing that residents are put into different categories based on where they own a home. i know people who live in anchorage but claim they live in glenallen and get any bull tags for unti 13.

MT,

"Very typical to receive erroneous info from the very people who should know".
    Seems to me the BLM guy came forward with the correct information and offered more assistance if needed.

"I'll have to speak to my buddy in the Nome BLM office about how lacking the Glennallen office is in understanding the regs!!"
    Real class act....

Troy, one of the nice things about this forum is word gets around. I was in shock after reading your followup post about the phone call...sure was not how I understood things to be, and I know a couple others sent off word to BLM as well.

So I wanted to thank Elijah from the Glenallen BLM office for logging on here and getting the right info out. Class act in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    So I wanted to thank Elijah from the Glenallen BLM office for logging on here and getting the right info out. Class act in my book.
    I read this thread in order, and by the time I got your post bushrat I already had (privately) thanked Elijah for doing exactly that.

Quite the class act indeed.

Like I tell my kids: Everybody makes mistakes, but the rubber hits the road after the mistake is made; what will you do then?

Elijah, just like in real life, there are some members here of every type and demeanor imaginable. Please don't get turned away if one or two try to come bloody you up a bit. By a very large margin, the vast majority of members here are wonderful people and very supportive of others.

My apologies to Mr Waters. Certainly his appearance and efforts here are a class act.
    But I stand by my original statement. Getting incorrect info from govt offices is typical. I suspect that both Jpost and Family man would not be so quick to accept mistakes if an LEO was writing them a citation and they said, "Well, the BLM guy said it was OK."
    Perhaps the best idea is to get references from whoever you speak to. All of the regs we hunt by are on paper, or a computer screen, and asking whoever you speak to to provide a written reference for their info would be appropriate.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    My apologies to Mr Waters. Certainly his appearance and efforts here are a class act.
    But I stand by my original statement. Getting incorrect info from govt offices is typical. I suspect that both Jpost and Family man would not be so quick to accept mistakes if an LEO was writing them a citation and they said, "Well, the BLM guy said it was OK."
    Perhaps the best idea is to get references from whoever you speak to. All of the regs we hunt by are on paper, or a computer screen, and asking whoever you speak to to provide a written reference for their info would be appropriate.
    Perfect example of "Trust but verify."

Default perfection

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I suspect that both Jpost and Family man would not be so quick to accept mistakes if an LEO was writing them a citation and they said, "Well, the BLM guy said it was OK."
    I'm not familiar with where you work, MT. Wherever it is, please tell me; I would like to begin patronizing that place. So seldom do I get a chance to experience perfection in this world; that'll be a nice change for me.

Thanks for clarifying this issue for me EW and all the other input from folks. The "real" answer is what I would have done but since someone asked me for advice I didn't want to steer them wrong. It is good to take another look at the regs and make sure I am not trespassing.