Thread: Karavan Custom Weld Trailer , Broke Tongue Brackets

Default Karavan Custom Weld Trailer , Broke Tongue Brackets

Have a #7500 trailer under my 2525. The brackets that hold tongue to frame have broke off. Just wondering if any one else has had this happen. If you have one of these trailers might pay to have a look, fairly important part.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by playnow2 View Post
    Have a #7500 trailer under my 2525. The brackets that hold tongue to frame have broke off. Just wondering if any one else has had this happen. If you have one of these trailers might pay to have a look, fairly important part.
    Do you have a picture with a wider look? Would like to see if this may have been a pivot/leverage point causing the failure. How old is the trailer? How far do you tow every year?

The bracket is welded to frame and holds the tongue at trailer end. There should not be any movement at this point. The trailer is 2.5 years old and only used on good highway.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The bracket is welded to frame and holds the tongue at trailer end. There should not be any movement at this point. The trailer is 2.5 years old and only used on good highway.
    Ok now I understand a little better. It's looking like it's moving enough to tear that apart. You say only towed on good roads. Never taken it to Valdez from Anchorage. How about the couple of good ~bumps~ going to Seward and the couple of in between whoops on the way to Homer.

I broke two straps I use to tie the bow down on my trip to Valdez and back. The one strap (had been on the trailer for years) on the way down between mile 75 and mile 72 on the Richardson. The other on the way back, not near as heavy as the 1st but thought it would make it back, just before King's creek. I know pretty quick when they went as I feel a different bounce in the boat when towing.

I have a helmet cam if anyone would like to borrow to film their trailer/boat in action while going down the road. Or find someone with a backup camera to take a closer look. You may be shocked.

So what's the remedy for repair on your trailer? If you are going to weld it yourself remember to grind off the Galvanize coating where you can and weld where it is well ventilated and not have your head above the smoke.

I have the same boat and trailer that I bought new in 2007. I live in Valdez. The boat has been towed from Anchorage and to and from Fairbanks. I'll look at the trailer today. Thanks for the heads up.