Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai Canyon

Post Kenai Canyon

I have run it in my cat and have no issues running it in my drift boat. My question is. It is worth running this time of the year. Im floating the upper 3 times in the next 4 days and the wife wants to work the canyon. Im sure I could pick up a few reds there but I have not fished it this time of year. Usually mid august on. Just wondering what the bow fishing is like now. It is worth it at all or should I focus on the upper. Just some fish for thoughts there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Cool Canyon?

First question is, do you have your Coast Guard numbers on the new boat? If yes, I would go for it. If no, I would wait till you put them on. You would most likely get a ticket from the USFWS since that is their turf and that would land you in federal court. There should be plenty of reds running up from the lake and the rainbows will be happy to see you. Don't plan on seeing many dollies, they are at the Killey feeding on smolt. One more thing and this is important. Please wear your PFDs. I enjoy reading your posts and watching you on youtube, so please don't forget to put on your PFD lifevests while running that new toy. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    First question is, do you have your Coast Guard numbers on the new boat? If yes, I would go for it. If no, I would wait till you put them on. You would most likely get a ticket from the USFWS since that is their turf and that would land you in federal court. There should be plenty of reds running up from the lake and the rainbows will be happy to see you. Don't plan on seeing many dollies, they are at the Killey feeding on smolt. One more thing and this is important. Please wear your PFDs. I enjoy reading your posts and watching you on youtube, so please don't forget to put on your PFD lifevests while running that new toy. Tight lines.

I dont mess around. Boat is registered, Numbers are on, DMV sticker is on, Life Vest are in the boat and will be worn. I did not and would not move the boat out of the driveway untill I had all my ducks in a row. I was chasing a trailer light issue and got it fixed too. No reason to be illegal. We see way to much of that when we drive. I had brake and turn signals but no running lights. I FINALLY found the fuse and all is good now. I have my throw cusion, my noise maker and my Fire Ex too as required. I am fully legal from what I have read. Thanks for the reminders though. I look forward to floating the wife and daughter through it saturday and getting some new video and pics of our new toy. Oh and one more thing LIFE VESTS WILL BE WORN. I dont have a problem wearing them. I like living.

Oh and the trailer is plated and legal too. I think I am good to go

go for it chuck, my boat caught 8 to 10 a couple weeks back & 3 dollies. its the lake that i get worried about so i allways through in a two man and a bag, never been suprised but have friends that wish they had a tent.

Thats is my fear too Fishook. I hated doing it in the raft because it was small and I could not carry the gear I wanted for that "overnight" experience on the lake. Plus not having the OB on the raft I always had to depend on someone else. The lake is the one that freaks me out too. I can avoid everything in the canyon and stay out of trouble pretty easy. Whitecaps and chop will not cut it. Not in my boat anyway. June and I always err on the side of caution. If the winds are blowing we dont chance it at all. We all want to live to fish another day.

Thanks for the info it is much appreaciated. If the weather is good Im gonna run it. Make for a great 1st float for the daughter. 5 years with the raft she never cared to go. Buy a new boat and wham. Ill go with you Daddy. I am so looking forward to watching her and june fishing side by side on the drift. Watching June teach her the in's and out's. I think she might just get hooked on this pretty hard. She liked to fish as a child but then she turned into a "young lady". Now she is wanting to do more things. I mean after all she knows it all at 21 LOL. Im sure I will have pics and a video made after this weekend. 3 day floating and a day off butts will make for some fun movie making.

Oh one other thing. As far as legal goes, I have everything that is required correct????

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Oh one other thing. As far as legal goes, I have everything that is required correct????

Don't ferget yer fishin' license.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    Don't ferget yer fishin' license.
    LMAO. Not an issue my friend, Tucked in the waders nicely. Made sure the daughter got hers too. Not saying it has not happend but not this time. I like to order mine online the 1st of Janruary then I know Im good to go

LMAO. Not an issue my friend, Tucked in the waders nicely. Made sure the daughter got hers too. Not saying it has not happend but not this time. I like to order mine online the 1st of Janruary then I know Im good to go
    I hear you Chuck. I forgot mine in the truck once when fishing the ferry and wouldn't you know it the under cover fish cops pulled up and asked us for our licenses. Had to go back to the car and get it. OOPs.

I have had them ***** at June because hers was in her pack on the boat and she was about 100 yards from the boat. Oh and it was mid october, 10 boats on the water. I finally copped as attitude and told the guy. Where the hell were you in september when this place is getting raped. He just glared. Then I just flat told him. Come look at her license and then write me the ticket so we can keep floating. 25 degrees bluebird day but wind howling dead nuts up river. He checked it, our life jackets and then started on me for using a bead in "fly only waters" I was at guardrail. I finally got it through his So Cal head that fly only ended sometime if august. So he then just said have a nice day and him and his partner (who was very nice to both of us the whole time left. Partner was asking about the boat and how it moved and etc etc)

Oh and I did add 2 more things to my safety list. Flares and a day time signal Mirror. So I am fully Coast Guard legal

Don't forget a bottle opener so you can open your bailing bottles.

I ran it saturday. Water was moving through it pretty good. Had one small issue where I read the corner run and got a oar yanked out of my hand and rolled the boat pretty good. She popped right back up and we moved on. Skilak laid down nice and flat and took me 1 hour to motor accross with the wife and daughter

You rolled the boat!!! or is that a term for something other than actually rolling the baot?! That must have been an uber pucker!!!

Saturday I left a bunch of cut firewood at that little island camping spot just befor the lake. The fishing was poor. Certainly no better than the miracle miles 'tween Sportsman and Jims. When I crossed Skilack the wind and swells had not laid down.

i ran it saturday. Water was moving through it pretty good. Had one small issue where i read the corner run and got a oar yanked out of my hand and rolled the boat pretty good. She popped right back up and we moved on. Skilak laid down nice and flat and took me 1 hour to motor accross with the wife and daughter
    more! More!

Its a sweet float, go for it... Much easier with a drifter than our usual, pack an 8 foot zodiak in a raft unfold it at the lake and fold up the raft and motor across the lake...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    Saturday I left a bunch of cut firewood at that little island camping spot just befor the lake. The fishing was poor. Certainly no better than the miracle miles 'tween Sportsman and Jims. When I crossed Skilack the wind and swells had not laid down.
    Fishing was ok at best. We caught a couple of small and I mean small dollies.

I rolled the boat over far enough that the pucker factor is beyond belief. I just read the corner wrong and a side flow over the gravel caught me and spun me into the trough.

We hit the lake about 4pm. No caps. A small little under a foot roller coming through for the first 20 minutes then glass

1 pic is in the powerline channel

2nd is coming accross the lake

Glad to read that you weren't trying to use your new drift boat like a kayak and do an eskimo roll. I was hoping to see some big bow photos and reports of full limits. Doing a fish recon on Wednesday and Thursday before the weekend, if you run on the river this weekend I'll make sure to stop and say hi and let you pick some flies to try out. Tight lines.
    Only those that can see the invisible can do the impossible.

Awesome thread Chuck! You got the pucker factor out of the way. Now you know her characteristics already thats a bonus.

One of these days I want to follow you through there in my packraft, Chuck. I figure you can rescue me if I get myself into trouble.

last time I floated the canyon we shipped the oars and ate chips and salsa the whole way, It was fun, just a little wet
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast