Thread: water system questions

Default water system questions

Hello,
    I have a cabin down on the Kenai Pen. It has a well with a submergable pump. It is wired to an on/off switch, so when we need to pump some water, just flip the switch and fill your container from the hose hooked to the top of the well casing. There is no plumbing in the cabin - the cabin is very small. I am wanting to add a bathroom on, but have some questions since we are only there for maybe 2 weeks out of the year.
    If I plumb everything up so I can drain it out when we leave, can I just run a garden hose from the well casing to a pressure tank and then wire the pressure switch in so the pump will not be trying to run all the time? Will the garden hose to the pressure tank work? I was not wanting to try to dig a water line in from the well to the cabin. No more than we are there, I just want something easy to maintain. However, I would like to have a shower, sink and toilet. The wife says it is a must.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Andy

Default Should work

Reminds me of my office cabin has been "plumbed" that way since it froze up 10 years ago. It was just a temporary thing at the time until I replaced all of the split pipes. That hasn't happened yet! I just run a garden hose from the pressure tank which sits next to the well casing which is inside to the hot water tank for the hot water and a tap off hose for the cold. I mainly use it for water to the toilet as well as for general water. The office is used 6 days/week year around. If your running the hose outside I'd drain & roll it when not there. As it is I just leave the pump off until I want water to avoid not being in the office if the hose decides to go into failure mode.

Andy,
    This is pretty much what we have in our cabin but instead of a garden hose, we use a 1 1/4" poly line run on the surface (makes filling the wood fired hot tub much faster). We use it all summer and drain it and haul water for winter. Depending on how complicated your plumbing is, however, you will want to consider blowing down your system at the end of the summer instead of just draining it - everytime I just drain ours, it seems some water is left behind and I have to fix leaks the next year.

You can install a grey water system for the sink and the shower but what are you going to do for the toilet?

There is actually a log crib on the property with the drains installed up to an old foundation for a house that never got built. I am just going to tap into this drain for the bathroom. The foundation is within about 25 feet of the current cabin. I had thought about building on this foundation, but it is in too bad of shape. I agree about plumbing it up so it can be blown out at the end of the season. Thanks for the replies guys.

have you thought of getting one of those weterless toilets i found them on line they are called ecojohn