Thread: Kotzebue Caribou hunt mid August questions.

Default Kotzebue Caribou hunt mid August questions.

Looking at going to Kotzebue in the middle of the month for about a week. My question is:
    I'll have some time away from work and was curious to see if there are areas to hunt
    (either archery or rifle) within several miles of town? Do I need access to a boat, ATV, any road access areas? Anyone hunt up there w/ some inside info would be greatly appreciated. I know Ptarmigan will be open and I'm looking forward to thumping some w/ a bow or 22 pistol.
    Thanks Billy

A small boat is best, ATVs can ride the beach, but theres no trails for ATVs up this way.

Theres usually Ptarmigan on the tundra, down the beach from Kotzebue, as well as he recreational sounds of gunfire all summer long

Caribou like to go to the water in summer to swim, lick salt from logs along the shore and get a bug removing breeze in their nose.
    Hunting with a Boat is the way to go with Caribou along any Kotzebue Sound shoreline.

It would be nice to meet ya, but I live 60 miles away and the "weather" is a factor that has interfered many atime like the time I and the wife were gonna meet Akdreamer, but the thaw/break up kept us home.
    August can be stormy sometimes.

Good luck to ya!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

tons of ptarmagin walking around the loop road around town however...you need to be aware of nana land and kic land which is most of whats around kotz in close distance if you take a atv down the beach your safe or go out in a boat but as far as close to town watch out also there are alottments that are not marked. Im just telling you this because we had some problems last year somebody thought we were on nana land and we knew we werent and had to call the troopers before they called us and it was just a stupid hassle so just be careful.

So for as far as small game (ptarmigan hunting), I was planning on using my bow and 22 revolver. Where is the public state land to hunt on? Is it within walking distance of Kotz? caribou may be out of the question but I'd still like to slay some birds for the freezer but don't want to tresspass on Native corp land.

Thanks Billy

You'll do fine just heading South down the along coast.
    Ptarmigan come to the beach for Gizzard grit. Its a walk, at least 3 miles from Kotzebue before you want to start shooting, you'll get to beach comb as well.
    Just be carefull of folks swimming, fishing, berry picking and some houses that are down that way.
    If you luck out and get an ATV to use, you can get miles down the beach and bump into Caribou as well, maby find Mammoth tusks in the tide water, and anywhere from Kotzebue Front Street proper along down the beach you can catch fish. Salmon, Dolly Varden and Sheefish along the shore, with spoon Dr. and pink harted Pixi's........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

The only mid Aug bou out side of early migration is going to be a fly out into the upper Nimmi or more likely Desperation lake which is almost unit 26. Bou in the Kotz area donít show up until the weather gets crappy on the north side of the Brooks and then they have a reason to move. I only took Aug bou once and that was in 08 when we had a nice push of 2,000 or so early bulls around Aug 20th. We dropped 2 fatty 5year olds about 20 miles out of Kotz just behind Hugos Mountain near the portage. Other than that i would not expect to see animals in the lower end until Sept 10th or so but its all about the weather.

Walt
    Gulkana River raft Rentals
    Mile 127.5 of the Richardson
    907-822-4290