Thread: How Much Powder/Bullets to Bring?

Default How Much Powder/Bullets to Bring?

Anyone taken the field portion (after completing AFG's online muzzle loader course) lately? How many bullet/powder charges do I need to bring? I usually preload all my charges rather than measuring out at the range.

Unless things are different when taking the online, you won't need any. In the classroom version of the course all components are provided and you can only shoot the guns provided by ADF&G. Your class fees covered the components. You should contact ADF&G to confirm one way or the other to be sure. When I took the class many years ago, qualification was to fire 3 shots into a 6" group at 50 yards, shooting from any position including a rest, no time limit. And you can make multiple attempts if you fail to do it on your first try. If in fact you're using your own gun and components, I'd bring along whatever components you need for warmup plus enough for at least one 3-shot group. You should even have time to refill your preloads on site, if you prefer to use those.

Anyone else? Anyone done the online version yet?

You can't use your own rifle, they provide everythign you need. The qualifications are as described above, 3 shots in 6".

They have Knight rifles, and a veriety of powder/bullets to try.

Didnt know you had to qualify for BP. not a bad thing just surprised. I dont agree with the idea of not being able to use your own gun tho.

It's only required for the special seasons. Same for archery. You can use muzzleloaders or archery in the general season without the quals.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    You can't use your own rifle, they provide everythign you need. The qualifications are as described above, 3 shots in 6".

They have Knight rifles, and a veriety of powder/bullets to try.
    Just completed on line part a month ago and this is what it said. "Upon passing the Field Day Qualifier Exam, you can print out your Field Day Qualifier Certificate. You can then sign up online for a Field Day event in your area. At the Field Day there will be a short discussion on “Muzzleloader Only” hunts in Alaska. All students will then be required to pass a shooting proficiency with a certified instructor. Each student will use their own muzzleloader firearm, projectiles, and powder. Only blackpowder or approved blackpowder substitutes are allowed."

If you take classroom they will provide the guns n powder. I am just going to pack my sachem with all my gear. Although I doubt I will need to shoot all that much.

Monthunter

When I qualified it was a requirement to shoot ADFG rifles only. Seems perhaps things have changed, at least for the online side of the deal. I participated in the full class room course.

If you bring your own firearm etc. be sure it does not have a scope or I am certain, it will be disqualified, any ML only hunts prohibit the use of scoped rifles.

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

I took the on-line and field day class in Nov.

We needed to use our own guns and gear for the field part.

Bring a bench rod, enough powder and shot for five qualifying shots and how ever many practice shots you want.

Everyone brought boxes of rounds, lots of powder and patches.

My bench partner had ignition problems and used my gun and gear to get his qualifying target. Glad I had extra for him.

Seems like the classroom and online classes have different range requirements. I just took the full day class yesterday, and it was a requirement to use F&G guns. They supplied all powder, bullets, guns, etc. The live-fire practice commenced after lunch, followed by the range qualification (4 out of 5 shots in an 8 inch group at 50 yards. Precision, not accuracy was used. All shots could be off paper, as long as they could verify you had an 8 inch group). The paper test closed out the day.

And yes, I passed. My gun was hitting about 5 inches high and 3 inches to the right

Just took the range test this week. While we might have gotten them, the guys who did ours at Rabbit Creek didn't give us practice shots. We went right to the qualifying shots. I don't think anyone had a problem. Biggest problem was the sun was setting right behind our targets and seeing the sights was tough! Bring your can of black powder/pyrodex/777 whatever - they want to see what you are shooting.

Here is what I received from F&G before the shoot:

Live Fire Excercise:
    Each student will use their own muzzleloader firearm, projectiles and powder. Only blackpowder or
    approved blackpowder substitutes are allowed. The student can take as many practice shots as they need
    to feel comfortable at the 50 yard proficiency distance.
    The instructor will use Leupold 100-yard target during the practice setting. NOTE: Students cannot use their
    practice target to pass their proficiency test.
    The proficiency test must be completed on the blue 8” target provided by the instructor. Each student will
    choose their bullet and powder choice based on their practice session. The student will choose a shooting
    position; standing, kneeling, sitting, or prone and cannot have the aid of any rest. Five shots will be taken at 50
    yards “off-hand.” Four of the five shots must be within an 8” circle. The instructor will be looking for a “group”
    not necessarily “bulls-eye” hit. All five shots should be on paper or instructor must verify that shots were indeed
    within the 8” circle required to pass.
    Each student should print their name and date on the blue test target. After successfully completing the
    shooting proficiency and upon the instructor signing the target, the student may keep their target.
    If the student does not successfully complete the proficiency potion of the course within one year of
    obtaining their Field Day Qualifier, they will be required to repeat the entire course to be certified.

Kirk Lingofelt
    Program Coordinator
    Mobile Shooting Sports Program
    Alaska Dept. Fish and Game
    907/267-2534 office

When they say shoot from "off hand" what they mean is no rests of any kind. To most people, "off hand" refers to standing while shooting. Most of us sat cross-legged, a few shot prone. Class started at 6PM, we had about 12 guys and were finished by about 8:20.
    We all used our own guns. Lots of side-hammers shooting just as well as the in-lines!

Has this been defined by the ADF&G?

"Only blackpowder or approved blackpowder substitutes are allowed." The reason I ask is that I have a Savage Muzzle Loader and I can use smokeless. I think that would raise a few eyebrows.

AKMatt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt M View Post
    Has this been defined by the ADF&G?

"Only blackpowder or approved blackpowder substitutes are allowed." The reason I ask is that I have a Savage Muzzle Loader and I can use smokeless. I think that would raise a few eyebrows.

AKMatt
    You'll have to check with ADF&G on that. I certainly don't know.

One word of caution though. Follow Savage's loading recommendations to the letter. That model had such a bad reputation for blowing up, they quit making it altogether. I suspect the barrel ruptures were more the result of guys "magnumizing" a little or trying other powders than Savage recommended, rather than any failure in design. In any case, by the time the lawyers got through with Savage they might has well have been McDonalds selling hot coffee to idiots.

I doubt seriously that smokeless powder would be allowed. From page 20 of the 2011 regulations:
    Muzzleloader: You may not use a muzzleloader: -for big game unless it is a shoulder mounted long gun and is at least a .45 caliber or larger with a barrel that is either rifled or smooth bore and discharges a single projectile -equipped with a scope or using smokeless powder during any permitted, registered or special season hunt for muzzleloader only.

Since smokeless powder cannot be used during muzzleloader only hunts, it probably won't be allowed to qualify for those hunts.

Hi Bill,

That was my thinking as well. There are some other alternatives out there I will investigate and use.

Cheers,

AKMatt

If push comes to shove, you can use my .54 sidelock. All you would have to do is buy the bullets and powder. I found a pretty good load for it with Pyrodex. Of course you get to clean it afterwards