Thread: whats your favorite pair of waders?

Default whats your favorite pair of waders?

Ok, fellas I need some input on whats your favorite pair of waders? At this point every brand is fair game I just want to know what features you like about your waders, what you don't like, and if you had to do it all over again which brand would you go with?

looking forward to where this conversation goes.

Richie

As with all gear, buy the best you can afford. Investment pays off. But I'm fine with my $100 pair of hodgeman wadelites.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Simms G3 Guide Stockingfoots, hands down favorites. Plus, they blend in perfectly with the Tanana silt.

Lacrosse Alpha Swamp Fox breathables. They were by far the best investment I ever made for duck hunting. We tend to walk alot when hunting/duck hunting in Alaska and neoprenes are just too much. Even in the coldest temps I was fine in my ASF. It's all about how you layer underneath them that makes the difference. If it is real cold I wear a pair of patagonia long underwear, then a pair of fleece wader pants, and then my waders. It was enough for hunting even in single digits. The freedom to move around is worth the extra effort of dressing appropriately underneath!!

Snowcamoman, I agree the Simms G3 waders are awesome. I have a pair and they'll be hard pressed to find a replacement. I'm looking to buy a pair of waders dedicated for duck hunting because I always end up wearing my fishing waders duck hunting and they'll get messed up sooner or later. They already take a beating just from fishing.

RingKing: I'll look into the Lacrosse Alpha Swamp Fox.

Does anyone have any experience with Drake Waders? I've heard mix reviews on them from they're the best duck hunting waders to complaints about how the arm pit is too low.

I have Cabela's Ultimate Hunters. They work well and fit pretty good. I wish they had a "D" ring for attaching some accessories, but... I'm thinking of buying some Mack's Prairie Wings Breathables... anyone try those yet?

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

Richie,
    I know what you're saying. I have an old pair of Simms Guide waders that I use for Moose hunting. I almost need 3 pairs of the things, but then again, they haven't failed me in a variety of conditions, so I'll probably just keep going with the 2 pairs I have until they give up the ghost. I haven't tried any of the other breathables besides Simms in the past 10 years. Prior to that I went through about every other brand (Orvis, LLbean...etc), until I found the Simms.

I have a set of breathables for the early season and a pair of Cabelas 1600's for when I am duck hunting in the -20 range, you can sit for hours with toasty feet. The only draw back is if you walk very far in them you will sweat like a pig.

I know I'll never buy bootfoot waders again. Having sucking mud pull the boots from my feet with every step was almost enough to make me abandon my waders and walk out in my long underwear years ago. Breathables or neoprenes with lace up rubber cleated wading boots are the only way to go.

another vote for the simms g3 waders 2 years no holes, made in america. i have no negative opinions about em

I do a lot of sitting and minimal walking so I vote for 5mm neoprenes with big boot feet. I put size 15 on my size 13 feet and use big thick wool socks. Thick neoprene is great for late season. They might be too much if I only hunted the opener.

I had Cabelas boots but my last pair were from Sportsman's Warehouse. They are 1200 gram of Thinsulate but I'd buy 1600 if they sold it locally.

If I were more into jump shooting I'd look into a pair of lightweight breathables.

I use my cabela's breatheables all season long. I hate the bulk of neoprene. I can layer under my breatheables and wear good socks if it is cold. I don't overheat in the breatheables and don't get he moisture build up that you do with neoprene.

Ditto on the Cabela's breathables (I think they're DryPlus). They're comfortable and have performed flawlessly for about 5-6yrs now.
    "We're all here cuz we're not all there"

thanks guys for all the input. I'm still interested in the Drake waders but I'll never buy a pair of waders that I can't try on first. S.W. carries drake jackets but too bad they don't carry drake waders.

Cabelas Super Mag 1600's -they are warm and tough!! If something does happen the warrenty is tough to beat! Most places do not warrenty waders but Cabelas does.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge