Thread: Kodiak Goat Hunt- Gear Question

Default Kodiak Goat Hunt- Gear Question

I was lucky enough to get drawn for a goat hunt on kodiak island. I was going to take a jetboil msr to cook in and I was wondering if there are any outdoor stores where I can get fuel? I am not able to bring it on the plane so just wondering what my options are. Thanks for any advice in advance.

For sure...but ask your transporter if he has some first.

Try calling these folks, "State Of The Art" Outdoor Store here in Kodiak, they're closed tnt or I would, I'm bettin' it's yeah,

Mack's Sports Shop,
    (907)486-4276
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

yepper bought lots of fuel at macks...one of the best sportin' good stores in the state.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    yepper bought lots of fuel at macks...one of the best sportin' good stores in the state.
    We did the same on our goat hunt last year. No problem. The guys at seahawk air ran us around town to get all our supplies and new where to go for pretty much everything we could need. (Just wait till you go to buy salt $$$$)

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    We did the same on our goat hunt last year. No problem. The guys at seahawk air ran us around town to get all our supplies and new where to go for pretty much everything we could need. (Just wait till you go to buy salt $$$$)
    Did Kodiak last year as well with Seahawk. Took the Ferry on over and had everything we needed. Had to take the fuel out on the Ferry to be put in a special room ( Coleman Fuel 1 Gal).Good thing we had everything, as weather was coming in and instead of leaving the next day as planned, we took off with in an hour of checking in with Seahawk.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

salt!! lol no joke, a town full of canneries and salts like gold! i get my salt at the cost savers costco connection in 25lb bags or bring it down on the ferry...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Processors Salt

Was gonna say......

have you guys tried the canneries? Like Alaska Fresh right near the Ferry dock there? maybe they don't sell to walk up folks,
    but I get 50lb bags of Extra Fine Salt for like $9 there,

It is sometimes hard to find and they may stash it for their own boat guys but that would be worth calling them, or others, Trident must have a huge stash of it around.
    What you might try is to just, "go around to the dock and ask for the Dock Foreman or anyone back there for a bag of xtrafine salt, and ask like you have business there," then when he brings it out, he'll give you a ticket to take up to the office to pay.
    If you ask at the office they'll spot you from a mile away as a non fisherman, leave your Camos at home that day
    It may not matter to them but if they're running short it really does, their Fleet is who they ship it up for.
    That's not a high price is it? I can say this, it is the premium of Salt. Worked Fantastic on latest Bear Hide. It is Superfine!!

Make sure you check what they give you tho as they often try to pass off coarse salt on the unalert, especially late in the Longline season,(ends Nov 15) when they are running short
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the input.. I will see what I can find out. Good Luck on your hunts.

Mack's is a great spot and one of the "classic alaska" guys, like Big Ray's and Army Navy. The other good shop is Cy's Sporting Goods. Good luck.

Not to take business away from local stores, but check in advance with your flying service. They usually have a stock of fuel cans other hunters have had to leave behind after a hunt. They might just give it to you. Other supplies, like salt (we got ours at the local costco equivalent in Kodiak) you'll still need to bring or get there.

You should support the local businesses. Try 58 degrees North. Its a bike and kayak shop, but he has the hightest quality camping gear in town. ...but he dosent sell salt.