Thread: 10 weight for Silvers?

Default 10 weight for Silvers?

Ok, here is the opposite end of the 8-weight for kings question. I know 8-weights are probably the most popular rods for silvers (and reds and chums, too), but I do not like my current 8-weight. I do have a 7-weight that I like, and I got the chance to buy a matching 10-weight at a good price so I bought it, too. I am coming up during silver season, so I am wondering if I should even bother bringing the 10-weight or if it is just too much rod for silvers. I am definitely bringing the 7-weight, and need to know whether to bring the 8 or 10 as a backup. Or should I just bite the bullet and get a better 8-weight?

Quote Originally Posted by riflecat View Post
    I do have a 7-weight that I like

This is all you need for silvers. My 7wt is my salmon rod.
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Yep, a 7wt is perfect for silvers.
    That 10 wt will be good for kings though.

Would it take the shine off your trip if you had to use your 8 weight? If not, I'd pack it as you probably have it lined and ready and likely won't need it anyway! 10's are pretty heavy all day to cast and the 8 would fit closer to other species.

If you want to be prepared for any weather, bring the 10. I don't use one often for silvers, but when the wind is up and it's a choice of the 10 or not fishing, you'll be happy to have it along.

I hate to mention the obvious, but if you are happy with your 7wt outfit, why not just get a nice 9wt outfit? I just did that for my wife in fact. 9 wt will be fine for silvers, chums, and while a bit light, suitable for kings if you get a high quality rod. Would a 10wt be better for kings, sure. But do you want to go out and buy rods in all wts? No. I suggest a high quality 9 wt set up and call it a day.

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Take the 7.

10 is WAAAY too much rod for silvers.

Sell your 8 wt and get one you like.

Otherwise - bring your 8 wt for a spare and don't break your 7 wt. I'd rather fish with an 8 wt I didn't love than not fish. Or bring your 10 wt for a spare and realize it'll be heavier than you need, but MUCH better than not fishing.

I've used my 7, 8, 9 and 10 for silvers - but I much prefer the 7 or 8.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I fished for years with a 7 wt. Never really chased kings but caught a couple on it anyway. A 7 wt. is all you need for silvers. I use an 8 wt. now and it never disappoints.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Do not bother with the 10 wt. Bring your 8 (either the one you don't like or another one) as the primary rod; and the 7 wt as a backup; large fresh silvers can sometimes overpower a 7 (or even an 8 wt) although it will work. An 8 wt will better cast heavier flies and sink tip lines often used in fishing silvers. You could use anywhere from a 6-9 wt. I consider a 6-7 on the light side for silvers, though that depends on the rod action.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesch View Post
    Do not bother with the 10 wt. Bring your 8 (either the one you don't like or another one) as the primary rod; and the 7 wt as a backup; large fresh silvers can sometimes overpower a 7 (or even an 8 wt) although it will work. An 8 wt will better cast heavier flies and sink tip lines often used in fishing silvers. You could use anywhere from a 6-9 wt. I consider a 6-7 on the light side for silvers, though that depends on the rod action.
    It also depends on the water you're fishing.
    If you're fishing a heavier flowing river the stouter rod will definately help.
    If you are fishing slower water such as the big eddies on the middle Kenai a 7 wt works fine as you are just fighting the fish and not the fish plus a strong current.

Sounds like the general consensus is as I expected: 10 weight is too much. I was bringing the 7 as my trout rod but might use it for silvers, too. I will bring the 8 as a backup, although I still might buy a new one. Danattherock makes a good point, though; would it make more sense to jump up two sizes and go for a 9 weight as a more versatile pairing with my 7 weight? Or if anyone wants to trade for a never-used Sage Fli 10 weight while I am up there, just let me know.

My 2 favourite rods are 9wts and 7wts quite versital rods if you ask me. can handle alot of assorted fish
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

If you're all spun up for a 9 weight, I'd be happy to loan you my 9 CrossCurrent GLX!

http://gloomis.com/publish/content/g...rrent_glx.html

Bring/use what ever you want to. Using the 10 wt for silvers is probably more appropiate than catching grayling on a 7 wt & we all know that there are LOTS of folks that do that.
    Gary

If you want to get a rod that will handle both kings & silvers get a 9wt in a saltwater series. While it might be a bit heavy for those silvers it should have enough backbone for a king. It then doubles up for Roosters & Jacks in Baja.

I use a #9 wt, but when you incidentally rip into a hog chum, and there are many nearby fishermen/women around, it gets the job done a bit quicker so others can get back to fishing and the fish isn't neccesarily tired/stressed out..

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    If you want to get a rod that will handle both kings & silvers get a 9wt in a saltwater series. While it might be a bit heavy for those silvers it should have enough backbone for a king. It then doubles up for Roosters & Jacks in Baja.
    Yep....one of the best trio combo's is a 3-6-9 weight. 3 = dry fly..trout, etc., 6 = streamers trout/small salmon/summer steelhead, 9 = large salmon and several saltwater creatures.

Add a twelve weight and you have all the bases covered....well almost.

Is that all, we can never have enough rods!!! 1x 4, 2x 5's, 8, 9, & 12. I need a 3, 7 & 10. Wife just can't understand but she let me fish at least once a week.