Thread: Experienced Brooks Range Hunters

Default Experienced Brooks Range Hunters

I've hunted all the ranges now except for the Brooks (except from the road system). This changes next month. For those that have hunted the Brooks, is there anything different you bring to this area you have not in other areas?

Smoke from forest fires can be a serious issue some years, as to glassing visibility and lung function.

You are far more likely to be snowed on in the Brooks than in other ranges in August. Of course it can happen anywhere, but snow in August is a regular occurance in the Brooks.

Hunting the Brooks for sheep (I assume) will be pleasantly different than hunting in any other mountain range. In many/most other places, you start in a river valley or creek bed, then bushwhack upward through a thousand feet of alder brush to get to the lower end of the sheep area. In the Brooks, the sheep feeding areas are low on the mountains and the brush is generally absent. So the sheep are surprisenly low on the mountains unless they have been spooked or pressured. But when spooked, they will climb up 2K feet up into the rocky tops, no-mans-land.

While hunting caribou in the river valley bottoms I have had 3/4 and 7/8 curl rams feed only 200 feet+- above me.

But whether hunting caribou or sheep, hunting is still hunting so I would bring the same gear as on any other hunt in any other mountain range. I certainly agree with Brian concerning the possibility of early snow.

Have a great hunt.

(...vague generalities...)

dennis

Jimmy,
    with all the sheep you have taken, you need to go into the Brooks Blind !!!!......No matter what Mother Earth throws at you, I'm sure you will be prepared....However the one thing you will need different.....MORE GAME BAGS !!!! Especially where your going to....Sheep, Caribou, Griz and shoot all the wolves you see, and take the ones you want .....Good luck, hope it doesn't snow on opening day like it did last year....TTYL when you get Back....LOL

Jimmy, I've had three hunts to three different parts of the Brooks Range and taken three nice rams. The only difference I saw from my other sheep hunts in five different Alaska mountain ranges was the total lack of any other hunting parties and the almost unbelievable lack of any air traffic! Our hunts to the Brooks were from the late 80's to mid-90's and it has probably changed some by now. The weather we experienced was comparable to the Wrangels and eastern Chugach's where we had significant snow in late August at 3000+ elevation one year (Typhoon Holly.) I envey you and wish you the best of luck. Now in my late 60's, I am hoping that I have one more Brooks Range sheep hunt left in me--maybe next year!

Gentlemen, thanks for the info. Think the only change I will make is to add a liner to my aging Cat's Meow bag...either that or pay Marc Taylor a visit.

Dennis, the last ram I killed was 40+, in the flat land, eight miles from the air strip. It'll probably be awhile before I'm that lucky again.

JU,
    Sound like a heck-of-a-hunt.
    Once in a while, tough hunters deserve a ram kill that does not involve possible getting killed themselves.
    But concerning you being "lucky" that day.....You, brother, MADE your luck that day. You were there. You made the plan. You executed the plan. You hiked the eight miles. And if you had not found that guy at eight miles, you would have gone eighteen more miles. You did what other ONLY talk about. Congrats on your sheep successes.
    Dennis