Thread: new to fly fishing

Default new to fly fishing

I'm fairly new to fishing with a fly rod. My wife bought me a Scientific Angler model 2LA-890 reel and a Temple Fork Lefty Kreh 10wt 9 ft rod. I wanted something to catch reds and possibly land a king if I happened to hook into one. I have caught 2 fish on this rod, both reds. When I hooked into the second red the arbor fell off the reel so I started pulling the line in by hand to try and land the fish. The button that locks the arbor on fell off. While I was doing this the rod snapped at the joint of the 3rd and 4th section. Is this stuff junk or did I just have a stroke of bad luck? I would think that a 10wt rod and that reel would be more than enough to land a couple 4-6 lb reds. For as much money as my wife spent on this rig I figured it would hold up better than that.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

can we say..... manufacturers warranty

TFO -
    Our No-Fault Warranty is for the life of the original registered owner. Fill out the form below or return the registration card you received with your purchase to activate your warranty.
    To use your No-fault Warranty, simply send the entire rod to our address in Dallas listed below. We recommend using a carrier that provides tracking information in case of a problem. Include your return shipping / contact information and a check for $25 per broken rod. Your repaired rod will be shipped back to you within a few days of receipt.

im not finding anything as far as scientific angler... so hopefully the store you bought it from can help you

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

talk about a stroke of bad luck! i had a TFO that i bought from sportsmans, 8wt to be exact. got it all strung up to see how it casts, after the 3rd cast something didnt feel right and that is when i noticed that the tip was broke clean off at the eye. i was irrate and with the receipt in tow i stormed upto sportsmans, explained my situation and they gladly replaced it for me. i would start there to save u some time, as for your reel im not to familiar on the stipulations on faulty gear but would imagine if you took it back to where she bought it from that they would hopefully replace it for u, and would be a good time to pay a couple more bucks to up grade to a pflueger president series reel.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I'm fairly new to fishing with a fly rod. My wife bought me a Scientific Angler model 2LA-890 reel and a Temple Fork Lefty Kreh 10wt 9 ft rod. I wanted something to catch reds and possibly land a king if I happened to hook into one. I have caught 2 fish on this rod, both reds. When I hooked into the second red the arbor fell off the reel so I started pulling the line in by hand to try and land the fish. The button that locks the arbor on fell off. While I was doing this the rod snapped at the joint of the 3rd and 4th section. Is this stuff junk or did I just have a stroke of bad luck? I would think that a 10wt rod and that reel would be more than enough to land a couple 4-6 lb reds. For as much money as my wife spent on this rig I figured it would hold up better than that.
    yes - it is "junk" (if you mean has alot of warranty issues); but that doesn't mean it is a bad rod; TFO's don't cost very much - they can last -

no - that's not bad luck; it's so-so equipment that fails more frequently than the expensive stuff (which can also fail, but much less often), especially on a large fish. Again, it is not bad equipment for the money, which isn't much for a rod (~$170 or so) or reel (guessing <$100), as far as this stuff goes.

As far as the joint snap - quite often this results from the joint becoming loose, and if the sections start to work apart and you don't notice it, the loose joint will snap very easily (on any brand rod). Rather than Jam the sections so tight that you can't get them apart, put some parafin wax on the male end of the sections; they will seat more securely and will still come apart.

Default Land the fish?

Heck of a story either way.

I have found my TFO rods in 4, 5, and 8 wts, to be good values over the 8 yrs since I bought the first one. They're TiCr and TiCrX rods, but I still enjoy fishing with them and never had a problem. Graphite can be finicky, and I try not to nick or scratch them which supposedly can cause failure. Lucky so far. The System 2 LA reel you have should be a fine one too. Never owned one myself, but a plenty of good fish been landed on them.

My first good fly reel was made by Fly Logic, which Tony Weaver used to fish. Fine piece of gear, but one day, while reeling in a silver in fact, I discovered I didn't like spools retained by any sort of screw. If it's any consolation, Lefty Kreh in his book, My Life was THIS BIG, wrote that his best fish was a 19# 4oz Jack Crevalle he landed even though the (Scientific Anglers spin reel) spool came off .

What a bummer the way your experience worked out. I hope there'll be many other fish and much happier outcomes ahead. Thoughtful gifts from your wife too, BTW.

Good luck.