Thread: Rigged Fjord Explorer on Craigslist

Default Rigged Fjord Explorer on Craigslist

If someone is looking for a Fjord Explorer (the largest of the Alpacka packrafts w/rowing frame), there is one on Craigslist today for a decent deal:

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1853309144.html

Definitely a good price for the rigged raft, but I can't see a use for a dory style boat and the cost of a splash skirt is $200 + shipping which puts you right into a new unrigged boat w/ the skirt.

Take the rowing frame off and you have the best backcountry hunting boat in the business. I have personally packed out two rams in one trip with an unrigged explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by ninilchik View Post
    Take the rowing frame off and you have the best backcountry hunting boat in the business. I have personally packed out two rams in one trip with an unrigged explorer.
    I agree with your assessment but can't see spending 850 for a rigged boat only to take the "rigging" off and ultimately have a used boat for only 50 less than a new one. That and all of my friends that have them say to get the spray skirt!! AMH won't even order a boat without a spray skirt. So you save 50 initially then pay to ship it to Colorado for a skirt which costs 200 then pay to ship it back. In the end you would pay more than a new unrigged boat w/ skirt factory direct.

I like my FX, I agree the skirt is a must have. They are a very impressive means of travel.

Stid, we have the same boat!! Only difference is you are out using yours and mine is still packed in it's shipping container waiting on me to get home and get it wet. 2011 can't get here fast enough!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Stid, we have the same boat!! Only difference is you are out using yours and mine is still packed in it's shipping container waiting on me to get home and get it wet. 2011 can't get here fast enough!!
    This was my first trip as well. I also have the rigging and oars, but have not tried it yet. The wife got it for my birthday.
    Hope you get to come home soon, and be safe.

Steve

I agree that the spray skirt is very nice to have, especially if you only have one boat. If you already have a decked boat (llama, yak, etc.) it is nice to have an undecked explorer with multiple options for paddling.

Have any of you ever put an inflatable keel on yours to help with tracking?

I have the Denali Llama...and really like it...but I feel like when I get after the paddles to really get some where, like to avoid an obstacle or something, I do a lot of "waddling", with me sitting in the rear as the pivot point. I've learned to take faster shallower strokes to not get as much purchase in the water with the paddles, but I thought a keel would be nice. I could take more powerful strokes and stay on line maybe.

I've had some fun with mine already...opening up some nice country for me.

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Have any of you ever put an inflatable keel on yours to help with tracking?

I have the Denali Llama...and really like it...but I feel like when I get after the paddles to really get some where, like to avoid an obstacle or something, I do a lot of "waddling", with me sitting in the rear as the pivot point. I've learned to take faster shallower strokes to not get as much purchase in the water with the paddles, but I thought a keel would be nice. I could take more powerful strokes and stay on line maybe.

I've had some fun with mine already...opening up some nice country for me.
    I have a keel and it does help alot. I have tried it with and without.

Steve

Does alpacka make the keel? Do you glue it or lace it on? Sounds like something I need to get...

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Does alpacka make the keel? Do you glue it or lace it on? Sounds like something I need to get...
    Mine came with it. It comes on and off and is held in place with velcro.

Steve

I can put a nice keel on your Alpaca, as i have on my 8'6" pack raft.
    345-4308

I also find that simply having some weight in the front helps a lot with tracking. If I'm not carrying any gear on a short day trip, I'll put 30 pounds of rocks in my pack and strap it to the front. That little bit of weight makes a big difference.