Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linking to Facebook?

Question Linking to Facebook?

Can one of the mods take a moment to explain to me how linking to Facebook affects what we do on the Forum here for Outdoors Directory?
    Does linking mean that all of my information on my Facebook will now be live and available through Outdoors Directory?
    If I so choose to no longer be linked through my FB on ODD, how do I 'turn off' the plug in or the application?
    Also, when I tried to 'link' it gave me an error code that I did not use my 'real name'.
    I took a snapshot of it and I'll try to post it below.

How about my original avatar? Where did it go? I tried not to link my avatar with my Facebook to my avatar here on ODD, but when I didn't click the option, it wouldn't link my FB to ODD.
    Does this also mean whenever my avatar on FB changes, my avatar on ODD will change as well?
    Lurker.

This one is new to me as well. I started the process of linking my accounts, but since I wasn't certain of how it would change things on this end, I ended up canceling until I learned more. Man1c Mog is our tech guru who set this feature up for us. I'll see if I can get him to check in and give you some feedback on your issues as well as some general instruction for the rest of us. Thanks for bringing this up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    This one is new to me as well. I started the process of linking my accounts, but since I wasn't certain of how it would change things on this end, I ended up canceling until I learned more. Man1c Mog is our tech guru who set this feature up for us. I'll see if I can get him to check in and give you some feedback on your issues as well as some general instruction for the rest of us. Thanks for bringing this up.
    Thanks for responding. I tried it again just to be sure it wasn't user error and it's not. The error code came up again.
    I'll look forward to hearing back on the outcome and then I'll continue asking questions afterwards.
    Lurker.

I was gonna do it to and backed out as well. Once I see the info Ill decide. Go question Co and thanks for looking into it Brian
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

OK. I've fixed the 'real name' problem and it shouldn't bother you any more. The facebook functionality essentially allows you to share post/thread notifications between facebook and the forum. It also allows you to more easily register for the forums, automatically filling in your profile fields. Quite nifty really.

Your avatar won't change on your facebook if you update it on the forums. Its a 1 way thing really.

To remove the facebook link after you've installed it, just go to settings > edit connections and remove the facebook bridge. Dead easy really.

Quote Originally Posted by Man1c M0g View Post
    OK. I've fixed the 'real name' problem and it shouldn't bother you any more. The facebook functionality essentially allows you to share post/thread notifications between facebook and the forum. It also allows you to more easily register for the forums, automatically filling in your profile fields. Quite nifty really.

Your avatar won't change on your facebook if you update it on the forums. Its a 1 way thing really.

To remove the facebook link after you've installed it, just go to settings > edit connections and remove the facebook bridge. Dead easy really.
    How about privacy settings? Will my privacy settings still be the same on Outdoors Directory even if I link to Facebook?
    I am positive that my avatar changed when I linked to Facebook. My original avatar was of the Equinox Marathon.
    Let's see what it does.
    Lurker.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by COtoAK View Post
    How about privacy settings? Will my privacy settings still be the same on Outdoors Directory even if I link to Facebook?
    I am positive that my avatar changed when I linked to Facebook. My original avatar was of the Equinox Marathon.
    Let's see what it does.
    you didn't UNCHECK the box that says use face book avitar... so it moved you here...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    I was gonna do it to and backed out as well. Once I see the info Ill decide. Go question Co and thanks for looking into it Brian
    Okay... I see you on both ends. See anything different? Anything you could suggest?
    There is a an area when you post on ODD while linked with FB where you can check it to both post a response on here as well as FB. Do you see that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you didn't UNCHECK the box that says use face book avitar... so it moved you here...
    I did uncheck it. It transferred over when I was having issues with the 'Real Name' default issue that Man1c M0g did a technical fix on.
    Lurker.

Default Test to Publish to FB

Test to Publish to FB.
    Lurker.

I thought about it but the last thing I want is people from work (who are on my facebook) to have anything to do w/ my time here at the AOD. Ahhhh, the joys of working for a San Francisco based company...

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I thought about it but the last thing I want is people from work (who are on my facebook) to have anything to do w/ my time here at the AOD. Ahhhh, the joys of working for a San Francisco based company...
    ...but if it optimizes your AOD experience and makes it more effective, then why not?
    It's understandable, though. It's healthy to have your boundaries, especially professional ones.
    Lurker.

...but if it optimizes your AOD experience and makes it more effective, then why not?
    It's understandable, though. It's healthy to have your boundaries, especially professional ones.
    Yep, bad enough I let Vince friend request me......

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yep, bad enough I let Vince friend request me......
    HA! Rep +1 if I could!!! Come on, now! He needs friends, too!
    Lurker.

HA! Rep +1 if I could!!!
    Must be a problem with LuJon's account; I tried to rep him for ya and it wouldn't let me do it either!

Default Forget about Facebook Linking - that's for kids - I'm waiting for RealLink

So have you heard about RealLink? It goes way beyond that little facebook linking thing:

- You never have to fill out any fields on any site ever again, because RealLink knows ALL your information and fills it in for you instead. RealLink even goes around the Internet filling out forms for you on lots of other sites while you're sleeping in bed - what a time saver that will be!

- Your outdoors directory account is linked to your facebook account, and to myspace, and to your SPOT locater beacon account, and to your home & work addresses & phone numbers complete with a google maps interface that shows the exact locations of all of these things, in addition to every individual spot that you've hunted, fished, hiked, boated and floated.

It has everything, all the time, open and available to everybody.

Yeah, that's for me.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    So have you heard about RealLink? It goes way beyond that little facebook linking thing:

- You never have to fill out any fields on any site ever again, because RealLink knows ALL your information and fills it in for you instead. RealLink even goes around the Internet filling out forms for you on lots of other sites while you're sleeping in bed - what a time saver that will be!
    Hey now!! I was just trying to find ways to be more effective with my time is all. Besides, I didn't want all of my info from FB linked to AOD. I just wanted to see what would happen if I did and how that would allow me to use this site better via FB.
    I am still very unsure of all that it does and I am still hesitant to link the AOD and FB because of identity and privacy issues.

Maybe LuJon just has too much rep and doesn't need anymore. I haven't been able to pass around rep to members in a long, long time.
    Lurker.

Hey now!! I was just trying to find ways to be more effective with my time is all. Besides, I didn't want all of my info from FB linked to AOD. I just wanted to see what would happen if I did and how that would allow me to use this site better via FB.
    I am still very unsure of all that it does and I am still hesitant to link the AOD and FB because of identity and privacy issues.

Maybe LuJon just has too much rep and doesn't need anymore. I haven't been able to pass around rep to members in a long, long time.
    Ahem! Try your luck.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Ahem! Try your luck.
    Nevermind CO; I got'm.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Nevermind CO; I got'm.

I don't see anything, I'll wait for her response.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I don't see anything, I'll wait for her response.
    OK grey.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast