Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Curing roe for bait, sockeye for kings?

Default Curing roe for bait, sockeye for kings?

A few friends stated that sockeye eggs do not work as king bait. Does anyone have an opinion one way or the other?

I'll be pretty new to king fishing next year but have about 80 skeins of sockeye eggs saved. I'll be putting procure on them until it runs out. After that I'll be looking for ideas.

Any suggestions?

I'm new to egg fishing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have always used sockeye eggs. I started curing them when I was 15 phish. The old school way. No pro cure. Borax, and strawberry jello. Roll them around and cover the piss out of them. Let them cure in the sun for a few hours and bag them up. It worked all through the 80's. Plus they would milk like mad and your hands were not stained for 3 weeks. I used to fish for kings like I do for trout back then and never had a problem. Then again this is 2010 and what the hell do I know
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

borax and strawberry jello, sounds like a winner. Wanna PM a rough idea of ratio? Thanks bud

I have had great results fishing for kings using sockeye eggs. The quality of the eggs and method of cure is the biggest factor in determining your success.

Phish give me a call it will be easier.

I'm snuggling the babies down for a nap now. I'll call this PM.

PM sent check it out and give me a shout when you can buddy

Sockey eggs will work fine. I ususlly use King roe because I tend to have plenty of it, but cured up some Sockeye roe this season to try out. I saw a couple groups hammering the Kings on Sockeye roe earlier this season, so I know it'll work. Borax and Strawberry Jello...haven't tried that one..Can you PM me your mix ratio, I'll give it a try as well. Thanks.

Phish, forward my pm or just post it here for all to see. I deleted it for some reason. It is no great secret. It is what we used long before procure was around. It was told to me by some old timer in like 79 or 80. It worked well then. I might be a little off on the ratio but when phish post the PM I sent him you will understand. It is simple to play with and to perfect. I used to slay the piss out of kings, silvers, and trout. It was legal to slay them on eggs in some areas back then folks so dont bust my balls for using eggs for trout.

Chuck, I can't believe the nerve of you to use natural eggs on trout back in the day. Shame on you!

P.S. (How did they taste)?

Thanks for the info on the home cure, sounds interesting and well worth trying out.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Chuck, I can't believe the nerve of you to use natural eggs on trout back in the day. Shame on you!

P.S. (How did they taste)?

Thanks for the info on the home cure, sounds interesting and well worth trying out.

God we ate some big freaking bows back in the day. Some huge pig dollies too. Bows were yummy but not a dollie fan

Oh and bite my eggs for busting my balls LOL

I don't blame you, I probably would've made a Trout Hogie Sandwich mixed with a bit of dollie cheese spread
    You didn't even have to make the critical decision to peg or let it slide with those eggs either.

Fried Sockeye Eggs & Trout...hmmmmm....

Thumbs up It's all good

I have taken Kings on King, Sockeye, and Coho eggs, with neither being any better than the otherin my experience. My blend of cure is procure/borax 50/50%, and Jello for the color (use the color jello you want the eggs to be). If you use jello make sure the procure is white of non-colored. Some folks just use muleteam borax, salt, and sugar. I also rub in some anise attractant prior to putting eggs in a plastic bag to "shake and bake" the cure onto the eggs. Eggs are left outdoors in shade for @ 2 days to release thier moisture until slightly rubbery and with a soft center. They milk like crazy that way. Also, I keep the skein membrane in place so you can cut the finished product into chunks that stay together for multiple casts and can go in the egg loop without using a sac/netting...all personal preference. CHECK OUT THIS GREAT LINK ON CURING EGGS...

http://www.thefishingoddess.com/AngieEggCure_page.htm

I fished with Angie a few years back...we did pretty good on the silvers.

The borax is what helps the eggs dry out and firms them up. I find they hold together really really well that way.

Jello is your call. Strawberry, rasberry, anything redish and bright has always worked. **** I guess you could use peach too or what ever. With all the eggs you have, I would try some off the wall **** and see what happens. Maybe Grape who knows. Jello is not gonna hurt them at all. Just soaks into them and makes them milk like a new mother. I never have measured it doing it. If I was gonna guess Id say one to one. The one thing I always found though a day with some sun cured them better. Just my opinion. With the amount of eggs you got try it on a day like today too. Cloudy is not bad but get some air moving over them. That helps the borax pull them together. The borax is the same stuff you buy at the store for your clothes in the soap aisle. Plus this way is about 20 times cheaper than pro cure, and tons cleaner. jello will stain a bit but not for weeks. Let me know wha you think of this idea. Some guys use salt too but I found it makes the eggs shrivel up ...

From AkChuck, edited for general consumption

Anybody ever just use straight up salt with a good ammount of air circulation?

gpaul99,
    All I used to use was good old salt. It worked good, just make sure it sits in a cool area with decent circulation and you'll be fine. I've been using Procure for the past couple seasons and am thinking of mixing it up with the Borax Jello idea and maybe good old salt again to see how they all compare. I don't think the fish care as long as it milks and you get it in front of them.
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 07-20-2010 at 18:38. Reason: typO

Last year on Ship Creek, all I used was red and silver roe with commercial cure (Fire, Pro, etc.) and they worked quite well. This year, I used the king roe from the ones I caught last year (vacuum sealed and frozen) and did just as well.

I was also led to believe that king eggs gave you the best shot at a king. But after starting dip netting I have been using sockeye eggs almost exclusively on the kenai. Cured with Procure red hot double stuff, with a bit of anise scent just prior to fishing. I think our catch rate is as good or better than most - Five fish on Sunday! Cheers Joel

P.S. Save the king eggs for caviar - yum! world class

Back before "Pro Cure" and the like, a lot of people used borax (and I guess they still do). A friend of mine who was a really great fisherman gave me this tip for curing eggs. He used sodium sulfite, sugar, and salt in a 1:1:1 ratio. Sodium sulfite was available at places where photo developing stuff was sold. (Do they do that anymore?) I still have a jar of it (packaged by Kodak). It's also used in the food industry to preserve meat and keep fruit from discoloring. It really worked great for keeping roe from milking out and loosing color. It was a great recipe and of course, I thought my eggs were superior to most I saw back then. I used it exclusively until "Pro Cure" came out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast