Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: thinking of a 9mm

grizzeyes

Default thinking of a 9mm

I am looking to purchase a 9mm but wouldn't know which one to buy. I was going to pick up a few magazines but thought I would ask here because a lot of you guys really know your guns. I no longer have my Rugar Redhawk ss 4.5 .44 and EAA Witness ACP .45 from a few yrs back. I really liked the Witness grip. I thought it was too heavy to enjoy carrying it every day. Is there a 9mm in $345.00 range? This would be a handgun that I could kick cans around on a boring day at the pits and one that I would like to carry on me that doesn't weight so much and of course for protection should I ever need it. I don't have a handgun in the house and like the feeling of having one besides my 12 ga duck gun. I appreciate any recommendations and features I should consider. Should I buy at Mt. view sports, or sportsmans whse?

Anyone have a EAA witness acp with the wonderfinish ss? how you like it?

Default The 9mm

I have had a Browing Hi Power for along time. It was customized by a Arizona pistol smith years ago. They are good handguns. If you go that route you will want to get a trigger job and look at doing away with the magazine disconect. Craig Spegel makes the best stocks for that gun. I put some Novak sights on mine but the factory fixed sights are ok. These pistols point very well. The British S.A.S., F.B.I. Hostage Rescue Team and some Isralie special teams used the Browning for alot of years. Just to name a few. Get a shoe box full of reliable magazines also!

Default 9mm

In that price range, you may consider a Ruger P95 or KP97dc. They are built like tanks and won't let you down. However, they are not the easiest to conceal but are certainly suitable for plinking and general purpose use.

I can't add too much more than .338 Mag did other than be aware that the BHP is a single-action auto designed to be carried locked and cocked. Not a bad thing, but a lot of folks have trouble wrapping their brains around it of carrying a hot pistol with the hammer back. If this is not a problem for you, I would recommend considering a BHP.

If you aren't interested in the BHP, I'd check out as many examples as possible for fit and feel and pick the one that fits best.

For simplicity and drop-dead reliability, Glock is hard to beat.
    Now what ?

If you're looking for something to carry and to set by the bed, maybe The Taurus PT111 (I got one for my wife and we both like it) or the S&W Sigma, both are pretty descent sub$300 9mm's. The Ruger P89 is a great, inexpensive 9, but pretty large and heavy to carry. For a few bucks more you could get a SA XD9, which would be the way to go IMO.

My wife shoots a Taurus 24/7 9mm which has performed pretty good so far. I like the handgun too but the trigger pull is a little to long for my liking, I suppose it just takes some getting used to. The 24/7 has the most comfortable grips I have ever put in my hands.

I know its not a 9mm but I really like my SA XD 45c. Its easy to conceal, very accurate, simple to field strip, has a grip safety, and has a more comfortable grip angle than glocks (atleast imo). I would imagine the 9mm version is the same way too. Its about $100 over the price you listed but its worth a look see.

EAA Witness makes a compact 9mm as well as the standard size model. They sell for about 349 to 369 in that range, depending on what state and stores you shop at. You can find more about them on the web. ive always liked the cz-75 type of automatics. The grip feels like an extension of my hand, and you can have the option of cocked and locked, or double auto.

I almost bought me the compact 9mm a few weeks ago, but went the s&w 357 route in a model 686 2/12 inch barrel for having around the house. I have a springfield armory P9 longslide in 40 cal, (its a cz-75 make, and I love it)
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default 9mm choice

I concur with all the recommendations.
    P95 is unbelievably compact for a Ruger, easy to use, great shooter, very reasonably priced, under 400 no problem, polymer holds up, the stainless slide is great.
    SW Sigma, bad rap, can get them cheap because of the reputation,But, if you get the upgrade version you are okay. Feels great in the hand magazines are all over. (same with the Ruger). Longevity is the issue,but again, hey it works.
    As I have posted on many occasions, I am a BHP afficianado (spelling guys help me out).
    Feels like it is part of you when you point, granted it is steel framed but if you check the specs compared to other handguns it is not that heavy. Accuracy superb, get used to the trigger, Hi cap mags at cdnninvestments.com, just awesome, feels better than the cz75 and its clones (the grip angle and grip were modeled after the Hipower.)
    Springfield XD9, Wow, carry it all the time.
    Glock, buy a used 19 and never look back, just watch the trigger dude.
    Check Thread, 1911 vs Glock.
    The other 9's out there; Bersa thunder 9 for example, great initial purchase price<BUT, the magazines are twice the price; 45plus; of the listed guns!
    Hey, after you read the 1911vsGlock thread you will have a better grasp of 'wassup'.
    Carry ammo for self protection, just buy factory from Wally World. Better for civil suit and Criminal actions against you after the shoot.
    Penetration is the key for animals, right? Okay, wait till you see FmJ 9mm penetration tests, shoot dry phone books, you will be shocked.
    Good luck , pay attention to these posts, the guys who responded are 'on target', God I hated writing that, ..........Ed Humburg

Default 9mm

Almost forgot, please oh please stay away from SW steel or alloy auto trade-ins,
    they work great, have shot quite a few of them from the compacts to the full size, accuracy inside the 5" range at 25 yards, all of them, if you want to spend the money find a 39 or 59, big, heavy reasonably accurate.
    Beretta 92 trade-ins , if it does not say made in Italy, run away screaming, they break, they are big, but, you can get them cheap, worn out, (they wore out rather quickly for some reason, my buddies in the military and sf etc called them boat anchors)
    Trade in Glocks and Sigs, way to go, ignore the finish wear, cannot break them,
    and you won't be concerned about scratches, holster wear, etc.
    Have bought trade in Glocks and Sigs, kept the Sigs, lost the Glocks, again I am a Hi Power nut so the polymer and grip angle of the Glocks were not for me.

grizzeyes

thanks to all you guys. Really appreciate this help. yeah I felt that EAA compact a few yrs back but the full size felt so good I had to get it. Maybe if I would lose the 20 lbs around the gut the weight around my belt wouldn't drag my pants down over the blubber. yeah I rather have a good fit and be a little heavy than something that looks more "pretty" and lighter and not have the comfortable fit. If they would make the Witness with the same grip in a 9mm; that would be sweet.

They used to have quality control issues, but I love Kahrs. Mine were top notch in every respect.

Go to Northern Security (Anchorage 907-561-5602) and check out a used pistol. You may find a quality handgun for around $300-400. They usually have a good supply of used weapons in stock. They also have many accessories for your needs. I bought a Police trade in Glock 23 for $350; I consider it a great buy.
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

grizzeyes

thanks and I appreciate every person's help. after moving to AK in '04, living down in the lower 48 I just never was much into guns. I still don't get involved and it's really a hobby to some. the problem i have with a used gun would be how do you know how many rounds went through the barrel? was it ever dropped or run over? Heck, i know professional duck hunters who had there shotguns run over. not to say it would ever happen but a salesman on used guns might not know much about it but I will check into it when I get to Anc. I should take a trip this w/e but guess i'll stay home to watch the Superbowl and look out my big livingroom window at the snow that's melting. I'm gone 2 months and last week when I got in it was snowing and windy and in 8 days, everything turned to ice and the snow is off the roof. Til then I'm online checking out the websites. Speaking of being unarmed...Actually I am 100%. trigger on my Beretta AL 390 12ga went out on me.

At SA, the XD 9mm also will come with a case and accessories free.

I would recommend you save the extra money and buy the Springfield XD or get a good used firearm. Out of curiosity, why a 9mm? It is cheaper to shoot for sure, but a .40 would come in the same size of firearm and is much more effective as a stopper.

Everybody is going to tell you to get the one they like. I say go to a gun show, or a large store with a huge selection, and get the one you like, that best fits your hand, etc, and you will be happiest!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Default Best thing to happen to a 9mm shooter...

is to pick up a 40 S&W........same size gun, a LOT more performance, not a measurable difference in cost for ammo.
    Like a booger on my finger, I just can't get rid of this P85 Ruger...GRRRRR!

grizzeyes

thanks, i wanted to post just to hear what some of you guys had to say. When someone is into guns, they may have several handguns for applications and as a hobby and it could get pretty techincal. I hear you Dave, in soldotna. Been thinking I'll now get to a good place with a big selection. Maybe i'll need 2 handguns down the road.

Darreld in Idaho, thanks for the tip about buying ammo. For shooting at the range i certainly don't want to be having to purchase expensive rounds just for target shooting. I felt the XD 9mm the other day. Not bad! Very light on the hip but haven't found a gun that comes up to eye level with a good bead as the Witness. Looking forward to shopping around.

grizzeyes

i seem to like the EAA witness but can't find their 9mm in steel. The polymer is ok. it will be lighter in weight but Mt. view sports said it's hard to get them in stock and sportsman's whse doesn't carry them. Last week when checking out the SA XD 9mm & 40 the prices around here are very nice.

A couple months ago I sold off all of my 9mm guns. Plus I gave one to my oldest daughter up in Los Anchorage (she has tiny hands).. Had I known, I could have made you a good deal.. The local market is kinda tough.
    I basically went to 45s for auto pistols. Plus I am regaining an interest in older classic revolvers...

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

grizzeyes

I might purchase a used Sig Sauer P228 for $450.00 It I guess is in a $90% new range. The sides of the gun are still very sharp with very minimum wear.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast