Thread: Bowyering caution.

Default Bowyering caution.

I got a couple of requests about info on baleen backed bows. Baleen was very comonly used on long bows of the 1800. It is strong flexable and aids in speed, great material. Here is my caution, if your as white as I am and work the baleen you got at sears from the nice native family you could go to jail or be fined! The feds are even tightening the rules and enforcement for natives, a simple signature is no longer enough to make raw baleen "artwork"!

Here is how I plan on dealling with this issue, I will be biulding a colabrative bow with one of my Native Alaskan freinds. He will do the cutting and lamination under my supervision and add some skrimshaw of his own. I plan on documenting th entier process so I have proff of native involvement in the bow where requiered by law. This plan is pending LEO aproval, I need to contact F&G yet. I am proceeding very cautiously on this project. If you too feel a strong desiere for a baleen backed bow I highly suggest you do YOUR homework before making the first cut!

PS can I get a spelling Nazi?
    Last edited by Rick P; 07-20-2010 at 12:53. Reason: caught one on my own ;>)
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick,
    I share your passion with the desire to make a baleen bow. It's a no-go area for me and not worth the risk. The USFWS will be the hurdle you need to get over. The bottom line is you're building a bow using a native friend as cover. If your friend builds the bow and gives it to you as a wall hanging gift then you're fine. Maybe edit your post to say a friend of mine who is native wants to build a bow for me using baleen? I would not want to interrupt my hunt and have go to court to explain myself. Dr. Grayson once told to me how to make a hunting bow out of caribou horn and sinew. I think that will be my goal someday with a fish skin backing. No gray area there.

Boud'arc

Respectfully I dont want an edited post on this subject, I want to be totally up front about it and if I do indeed hit a burocratic wall that will be the end of the project. I have little doubt it will not proceed past the planning stage. I have a lifetime of replica bows I'd like to do including a caribou and sinew bow, cable backed bow and a penobscot. Not to mention several of my own ideas and many bows I know will preform amazingly well for my freinds, family and hopfully customers. My main reason for posting this was as a caution to others who don't know the law in this area.

Seen some amazing backed bow BTW including shark skin and carp of all things, the carp was surprisingly good looking.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rick,

Have you talked to Ed Schlief about any of this? I would highly recommend it!

No, I don't know Ed and frankly I am way to busy to work on the bow project now. Got 2 I want done by aug 20 if possible. Only mentioned it because of the PM's I had. Thanks for mentioning him, got some contact info for this winter when I have time to look at it again?
    BHA Member

Np, I know he has a bunch of experience on the subject...we chatted one day in his garage about the legality of seal skin some use for bow rests. I was a bit younger and a lot more niaeve about things and really didnt pay attn much...I dont use it, doubt I ever will. Wish I would have listened better . If nothing else he should be able to guide you in the right direction.

On a side note....I did see one in the st charles museum when it was still open. I might have a photo of the bow backed with baleen. Cool stuff.

I think I figured out the Hill and Schulz method of building the all boo bows....how Howard went about flattening things and not loosing the power fibers and yet still get the tapers he wanted. Another winter project for me as well lol.

(knowing chuckle) we all need our dark days projects dont we.........
    BHA Member

no doubt...I have plenty lol....now if I could only finish one...or five haha.