Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: willow for trout ( water level? )

Default willow for trout ( water level? )

how is the trout fishing and water level on the willow above the highway... thinking of floating it with the inflatable kayaks tomorrow.....

Check your other thread. The water level is fine for IKs. Muzzy and I did it in packrafts last week. Plenty of trout.

went there last night and the water is up super high...probably not much for fishing.

What did you use for catching trout? I am new to this. I had some bites on a glow bug patter but got nothing... maybe the hook was a bit too big... looking to go again soon and any advice would be nice...

Oh and the water was high and fast... awesome om the IKs...

Quote Originally Posted by theronn View Post
    I had some bites on a glow bug patter but got nothing....
    Glow bugs are a waste of time for the most part. Sure they have a place and time to be used, but I dont mess with them much on the Parks.

The fly that will do it all is obviosly the Montana Llama.

I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

Quote Originally Posted by muzzyman87 View Post

He's absolutely right. I'm exclusively using a montana llama for any body of moving water at this point. I suggest them in all the usual suspect colors.

You could also try ESL, moal leaches, buggers, bunny leaches, The classic dolly llama, beads now, nymphs, mice, smolt patterns, sculpin patterns, adams, ehc., flesh, .... etc

You ever been single? Because a fly box should be like the bar you keep at your crash pad. You never know what that lady you bring home is going to like to drink. You can't just throw every hussy that comes through the door a bud light and expect to score.

Assorted drinks to score with hussies.... check.

Montana llama................ ( not checked )

What is a montana llama? When I look them up I get a lot of pictures of llamas. If you could describe one that would be awesome.

Finally, when you are fishing, and you hit a hole, do you just keep trying fly after fly until you start scoring on hussies... wait I mean catching fish? This is where I think I get hung up, I try a couple things then move on.....

Quote Originally Posted by theronn View Post
    Assorted drinks to score with hussies.... check.

Montana llama................ ( not checked )

What is a montana llama? When I look them up I get a lot of pictures of llamas. If you could describe one that would be awesome.

Finally, when you are fishing, and you hit a hole, do you just keep trying fly after fly until you start scoring on hussies... wait I mean catching fish? This is where I think I get hung up, I try a couple things then move on.....
    A montana llama is a phrase I... ahem.. I mean WE.. coined. Im not surprised that you can't find any info on it. Simply put it's a minaturized dolly llama. Lets face it, theres some big fish along the parks, but predominantly you're fishing for sub 25" fish. So, we've taken to fishing smaller llamas. A little less flash never hurts either imo. Even on sz 10s the bunny can make for a fairly large morsel for a trout.

As for your other question: It varies largely on your fishing style, and what your fishing with. For instance, personally, I like to cover a lot of water. So i fish what I have for a while, through several holes, if its not working switch it up and keep moving. I don't like to sit at one spot and throw fly after fly at it. Though sometimes I might in early season if we KNOW there is something there and we haven't spooked it.

Also, depending on what your fishing. Example, when mousing, don't stand there and keep flinging your mouse at the bank. Honestly, unless a big bow is lucky enough to be under a cliff when 10000 lemmings come over it... how likely is it that a mouse falls off the bank every 40 seconds? For that matter when your mousing.. the best advice I ever got was fish it how it lays. If you F up your cast, don't pick it back up. Mice can't fly, trout don't usually see a mouse splash in the water and then 2 seconds later go winging up out of it at 90mph. So when mousing, throw, drift, move on. But with flesh.. hell theres plenty of flesh in the water, so why not drift it through there time and time again. See what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post

You ever been single? Because a fly box should be like the bar you keep at your crash pad. You never know what that lady you bring home is going to like to drink. You can't just throw every hussy that comes through the door a bud light and expect to score.
    Priceless...

I will probably stay in Wasilla for a few days later this month. Is the Willow a good place to drive up and find good bank access? I was planning to use a 5/6 switch and swing. Would I be better off w/a 6wt. sh rod? Also, any other suggestions on where to try for dollies, bows, silvers....heck anything in that area?

what sort of flies are working for rainbows? Beads mostly?

You could actually go there and give it a try. What happened to people exploring water and finding what worked on their own?
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

That's what fishing used to be about.... Now days everyone just want's it now. Figure it out on your own. It is much more fun that way and you Become a way better fisherman. You will feel better about yourself learning it own your own.

Wow, is that what this forum is for? Asking questions so that someone can tell you to 'learn it yourself'?

Part of fishing is talking 'fish talk' - "What were you using here and there and what worked and what didn't" Are pretty common topics either when gearing up for some time on the water or on the drive back home... This forum is another medium for that.

I'm also incredibly grateful to the guy that taught me how to fly-fish - if he would have told me to 'learn it myself' when I inquired about it, I 'd be just another guy who assumed fishing was done with powerbait.

It's fairly obvious what should be working, just looking for other peoples input. I'm sure you all asked questions when you started fishing.

I'm guessing he isn't from here and has little to offer any way, don't waste your time Ryan.

Plus I amngoing out tomorrow just trying to do some research before I head out.

Personally I like figure it out myself too. That is the fun for me. i know everyone is different. but I find it way more fun when i find out whats working or where the fish are. I spend a lot of time when i am fishing taking pictures of eggs or sculpin ect. its a blast doing the research on the water instead of having everything told to you. Plus like stated before, a lot of time doing your own research will make you a better fisherman. A lot of stuff you read online is a good guidline but if you put in the effort you will realize that there are usually better options. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything i am just saying thats how I like to do it. It will work out better in the end.
    And yes when you first start out it's nice to get an idea of what to do or whats using. Now the next step is to use that knowledge and better yourself as a fisherman. Start experimenting with different colors and sizes and amount of weight ect. Its a blast to figure it out.

that's my .02

So that being said, Yes you will want to bring a variety of beads with you. there are hungry trout feeding heavy
    tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    what sort of flies are working for rainbows? Beads mostly?
    Fly is tied on...

Quote Originally Posted by jakec5253 View Post
    You could actually go there and give it a try. What happened to people exploring water and finding what worked on their own?
    Casting...

Quote Originally Posted by cut throatAK View Post
    That's what fishing used to be about.... Now days everyone just want's it now. Figure it out on your own. It is much more fun that way and you Become a way better fisherman. You will feel better about yourself learning it own your own.
    Drifting .. drifting... drifting... mend.. drifting..
    Quote Originally Posted by cube01 View Post
    Wow, is that what this forum is for? Asking questions so that someone can tell you to 'learn it yourself'?

Part of fishing is talking 'fish talk' - "What were you using here and there and what worked and what didn't" Are pretty common topics either when gearing up for some time on the water or on the drive back home... This forum is another medium for that.

I'm also incredibly grateful to the guy that taught me how to fly-fish - if he would have told me to 'learn it myself' when I inquired about it, I 'd be just another guy who assumed fishing was done with powerbait.
    METALHEAD!!!!!!!!

I was born and raised here. I learned how to fish here. BEFORE THE INTERNET. I'm not trying to be a ass' but it's not that hard to figure out on your own. OK. icb12 said TIE, CAST, MEND, HAMMER.... REPEAT...REPEAT...REPEAT...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast