Thread: Kenai Opportunities in August

Default Kenai Opportunities in August

Hi everyone. I'm a first time poster, but I have been using the great information on this site for many years.

I'll being heading to the Kenai with my father and brother to do some fishing the first week of August. I know fishing would have been better in July, but schedules wouldn't let us get their earlier. I'm a former Southeast resident, and have done a bit of salmon and halibut fishing before, but I'm a complete newbie to the Kenai. So here goes:

1. I've heard that silvers and pinks can be caught from shore near Seward. Will there be any running at that time and what would be a good location to try from?

2. We'll be in the Russian River combat zone around the 4th and 5th. I've heard varying opinions ranging from the river will be devoid of all life by that time to others who have said it will be near the peak of the second red run. I'm guessing the truth is somewhere in between. Any ideas on what I can expect (and I know mother nature isn't always predictable) around those dates?

3. Finally, we'll be heading down to Homer around the 6th and 7th to do some halibut fishing. Does anyone have any suggestions for good fishing spots between Soldatna and Homer?

Sorry for the long post. While I've had the opportunity to live in Alaska, and been able to return on a number of occassions, this could be my father's one and only chance to visit, and I'd really like to make it as enjoyable as possible. Thanks.

With regards to The Russian River, it should be great right then. There should still be plenty of fish holding in the Kenai downstream of the confluence, and if you would like less company, hike up the Russian itself and you'll also find plenty of fish. Rainbow fishing should be good as well. The reds might be starting to blush up a bit, but I have found fresh, bright reds up there through the close of the season.

There should still be a butt load of pinks in the kenai at that time too just to play catch and release with. There still might be reds in there too. Brian is dead on about the russian and you should have good success there. I dont know if they stock the lagoon in homer for silvers but that is another option too. Silvers should be catchable from shore in seward also
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Yup, plenty of pinks to catch on the Kenai. Try Cunningham and Centennial parks.

WAYWARD,
    Will you be fish from a boat the 4th & 5th on the Russian? If so, name of boat or guide service? My wife & I will be in the area from the 1st to 6th fishing somewhere. Maybe we can share some water one of the days. We booked a weeklong trip with Tom Martin as our guide. He told us he has a very exciting week planned. Hopefully that means some nice fish because I know the scenery wil be absolute fabulous!

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately, other than halibut out of Homer, we'll be doing all of our fishing in waders or from shore. However, it sounds like we should at least have the opportunity for some action, which is all you can really ask for.