Thread: willow water level and fishing

Default willow water level and fishing

thinking of trying to float and fish from red gate to the highway... how is the water level? I have a couple inflatable kayaks that I run so I don't need a lot of water... just enough... oh and how is the trout fishing?

Better double check for EO's the only parks stream open to any fishing last I knew was the little Su! Water is high and muddy, be a fun float in a kayak.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

They are closed...however the announcement on the website is bulls..t.. the title of the closure says for king salmon and you have to read the actual closure notice to see it's for all fishing..

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/eonr/...m/FA/region.R2

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Static/EONR/PDFs/2010/R2/EO_2-KS-2-30-10%20Parks%20Hwy_L%20Su.pdf
    . Waters normally open to king salmon fishing in Unit 2 are now closed to all sport fishing; these waters include the lower sections of the Kashwitna River, and Willow, Little Willow, Greys, Caswell, Sheep, Montana, Goose, Sunshine, Birch, Trapper, and Rabideux creeks and all flowing waters of the Susitna River from the confluence with the Deshka River upstream to the confluence with the Talkeetna River.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 07-20-2010 at 17:31. Reason: spelling
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

parks streams are open.

EO only covers through the end of King season. Which means as of 0001 July 14, the streams are reopened.

Besides he wants to float from red gate to the highway, which is upstream of normal king waters, so that area would have been open anyway regardless of the EO. (as I understand it)

The water level is fine dude, we did it in packrafts last week, good to go, plenty of hungry 'bows too.

Yep. You're right, I missed that sentence in the beginning of the EO. Parks streams are coming up rapidly with all this rain we have been having up this way. Montana Crk was clear yesterday and running heavier and cloudy today. I didn't look at Willow when I drove by today, but Kashwitna is up a bunch too.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My bad so busy lately I forgot the date, yup they are open.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Look at usgs gage, was 485 cfs= low, medium. This rain will more than likely bring it up.

Willow is high and( fast) 1100 cfs, this is a different creek at these levels.

Default awesome....

thanks! Looks like I will be floating and slaying bows tomorrow....

Lots of rain around the state, so water levels are high.
    be careful and have fun with the water and the fishing
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

My family and I just did the redgate float and fish, at 600 cfs. This was a huge event for the kids, they have worked for awhile on the Kenai, Portage, and the section below shirley town,preparing for the redgate section, and begin tinkering in easier safe-ish class III. My 10 and 11 year old children and wifey, all had clean runs,and the trip going down was a family classic. We practiced more eddy catching skills, making ferry angles, and worked on handleing the turns with walls on the outside.The first rapid(splashies) is the hardest for beginners, but still only requires minimal maneveuring.
    The only bummer was the girls caught more fish than the boys, the rainbows were feisty, and the greyling were also biting good. After 40 or 50 runs down Willow, I think it would be pretty hard to get much more than a bruise or two at levels below 600 cfs, it does pick up speed above that. I recently did the creek at 1000 cfs, solo in my hardshell, and that sure is a splashy ride.
    The creek has something for almost anyone, next year I would bet on a Willow summer gathering, several boaters are interested, races, fun, food, etc., you know.
    I'll try and post a couple of pics when I get a chance.
    MO

Hey I've just got 30 lbs more to loose before I can buy my kayak... would definitely be interested in aything on Willow creek. had a blast this summer with rental boats

Default September fish

SANY0129.jpg SANY0025.jpgSeptember is warm and sunny and Willow Creek provided thrills and great fishing

Default Willow open

Open but very low.
    Attached Images Attached Images