Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rage broadheads for caribou?

Default Rage broadheads for caribou?

Have any of you guys used the Rage 3 blade 100 grain broadheads for caribou. I was wondering on longer shots if too much energy would be lost to properly open them up. A friend of mine has shot several deer with them and says it will not be a problem. What do you think? I know there have been several posts about broadheads, but I wanted opinions on this particular one on longer shots for a caribou hunt.
    Thanks for any info you can provide.

I killed two caribou in March with the Rage 3 glade broadheads. The 1st was a 50 yard broadside shot that went straight through the heart and lungs, he went 20 yards and died. My 2nd was a 70 yard quartering away shot that also went through both lungs and once agian the caribou went about 20 yards and died. Both broadheads opened fully and the arrows past clean through the animals with no pieces breaking even when hitting bone. The wounds that these broadheads produce are incredible, both caribou left blood trails looking like someone had dumped a 5 gallon bucket of blood on the ground. I will continue to hunt with Rage's every opportunity I have, the are without a doubt the best expandible broadhead on the market. Hopefully this will help you, Shoot Straight.

Quote Originally Posted by wyo_archer1 View Post
    I killed two caribou in March with the Rage 3 glade broadheads. The 1st was a 50 yard broadside shot that went straight through the heart and lungs, he went 20 yards and died. My 2nd was a 70 yard quartering away shot that also went through both lungs and once agian the caribou went about 20 yards and died. Both broadheads opened fully and the arrows past clean through the animals with no pieces breaking even when hitting bone. The wounds that these broadheads produce are incredible, both caribou left blood trails looking like someone had dumped a 5 gallon bucket of blood on the ground. I will continue to hunt with Rage's every opportunity I have, the are without a doubt the best expandible broadhead on the market. Hopefully this will help you, Shoot Straight.
    Tough to beat experience like that - just what you're asking for.

Haven't used Rage broadheads myself, but based on that testimony I wouldn't doubt their effectiveness.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Yep, sounds good to me. I think I will be trying them out.
    Thanks for the replies,
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    Yep, sounds good to me. I think I will be trying them out.
    Thanks for the replies,
    Andy
    I would encourage anyone thinking of using the Rage slip cam broadheads in Alaska to talk with the fish and wildlife troopers. According to the description in the regs the rage is a barbed head. Notice that even in the "closed" position the blades come to points that are less than 90 degrees and thus illegal.

Wow, looks like I better do some more reading. May need to look at other broadheads at this point. Thanks LuJon. I don't want to be illegal in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by snagbro1 View Post
    Wow, looks like I better do some more reading. May need to look at other broadheads at this point. Thanks LuJon. I don't want to be illegal in the field.
    As an aside on my comment I think it is BS that some of these highly effective broadheads are not allowed in AK. I get the idea of not allowing barbed fishig style arrows but with the high speeds of modern compound bows full pass-throughs on even moose sized game is fairly common. I am not sure what the answer is but it seems like a revision/update is in order.

Yeh, I don't have the answer either, but I agree that some kind of revision should be considered. However, I guess we do have quite a few other broadheads to choose from. Back to the drawing board for me. May try the Montec G5 fixed blade. Any opinions on this one - good or bad.

Caribou maybe.... I see more game taken each year with bows than most and my opinion is the expandables might be ok for a 150 lb whitetail but for up north you are asking for trouble... they are in my view junk. I have shot more than 1 moose with my rifle after some sap that wouldnt listen elected to use expandables. If it was my hunting area I would ban any of my hunters from using them. Sorry if I sound to coarse on this subject but its a real peeve of mine. I dont care how fast your bow is you wont get the penetration with expandables that you will with cut on impact solid blades. Sure you can shoot further..... but this is bowhunting your supposed to get close. If you cant leave the bow behind and take up rifle hunting.

the G5 is one of the best, I have seen it used on countless moose. good luck

Default New to market

Try F-15 fixed

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Rage broadheads are not considered BARBED. According to pg 20 of the regs barbed means any FIXED portion of the rear edge of the arrowhead forming a angle less then 90 deg with the shaft when mesured from the knock end. so in normal person terms where the ferrale of the broadhead meets the arrow shaft it has to be at a 90 deg. angle. The key word in all this is fixed portion, the blades on a rage or most any other mech. head are able to move there for not putting them in the barbed catagory. I think they are more or less refering to arrow heads that are used for bow fishing can not be used in the taking of big game.

Quote Originally Posted by mac87toy View Post
    Rage broadheads are not considered BARBED. According to pg 20 of the regs barbed means any FIXED portion of the rear edge of the arrowhead forming a angle less then 90 deg with the shaft when mesured from the knock end. so in normal person terms where the ferrale of the broadhead meets the arrow shaft it has to be at a 90 deg. angle. The key word in all this is fixed portion, the blades on a rage or most any other mech. head are able to move there for not putting them in the barbed catagory. I think they are more or less refering to arrow heads that are used for bow fishing can not be used in the taking of big game.
    Same page, keep reading.

**mechanical or retractable blade-type broadhead a broadhead with cutting edges that are retracted during flight and open upon impact to a minimum cutting diameter of not less than seven-eighths (7/8) inch and does not lock open after impact to create fixed barbs
    There is no configuration that the Rage is in where it will not have barbs, closed or open.

Rage 2-blades (and I presume 3-blades) do NOT lock open to create fixed barbs. They may look barbed, but once open, the blades can fold forward to eliminate any barb. No fixed barbs. Took them down to Raspberry to ask, that's their opinion.

Not advocating whether to use them or not, just reporting what ADF&G stated.

But the problem is the guys at Raspberry are not the ones that will enforce the regualtins in the field. Take them down to the Wildlife Troopers and get their opinion, and the name of the trooper that gave it to you. I personally know one person that took Fish and Games opinion and it cost him $1000 since the troopers did not share their interpretation.

Lu jon you are correct it does say that is the defanition of a mechanical broadhead. it also says in there, again we come back to the word FIXED, does not lock open to a fixed barb. the blades are moveble so they would not be considered part of the fixed portion of the broadhead. which rages, t3 and any other mechanical broadhead i know of does not lock to the open position. I am not saying to use or not to use rages i am just looking at the regs and going off what i read. it is best if the individiual has a question about there gear to ask a trooper they do at the end of the day make the final call on what is and is not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by mac87toy View Post
    Lu jon you are correct it does say that is the defanition of a mechanical broadhead. it also says in there, again we come back to the word FIXED, does not lock open to a fixed barb. the blades are moveble so they would not be considered part of the fixed portion of the broadhead. which rages, t3 and any other mechanical broadhead i know of does not lock to the open position. I am not saying to use or not to use rages i am just looking at the regs and going off what i read. it is best if the individiual has a question about there gear to ask a trooper they do at the end of the day make the final call on what is and is not legal.
    Can the rage be configured in any position where the back of the blades form an angle of more than 90* to the shaft? If not then they are certainly a barbed blade. Being locked into a narrow range of motion where the blade can move slightly but not enough to pass the 90* mark or lay flush with the shaft means that it is fixed into a position that is barbed. I have only played with a rage briefly but would love to see a functional one (not broken) that had the blades moved forward passed 90. The "locked" term is clearly written because at the time there was no slip cam heads on the market and all cut on contact heads had blades that swung forward and would open on impact. As long as those type of heads didn't lock in the deployed position they were (and are) legal because they would close when the arrow was pulled back out.

I agree with the info above, the guys on Raspberry are not the ones interpreting the laws, call the F&W troopers in Palmer.

they most certaintly can be layed back forward. here is a picture of a brand new head, never fired. hope this will clear this up for you. Attachment 37185

dang, your link is broken!

Here's a photo of 3 2-blade Rages. The center one is the normal configuration for shooting. The one on the left just shows you how the blades swing through their range of motion. The third one shows how they swing full forward. They can't lock in any configuration, but are held in the deployed position as they pass into a target (including an animal). Hope this helps illustrate the discussion. I don't know what the troopers would say about this, but here you go...

P8070002.JPG

lujon i tried to tell you and the link works at my house. and there is your proof. thanks for playing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast