Thread: Kenai Kings---eggs

Default Kenai Kings---eggs

Has anyone who fished the river daily noticed a lack of hens this year--at least in the past 2 weeks? Seems like all the kings I hear caught are males and getting eggs is becoming very difficult.

Maybe it's just bad luck but I have never had an issue getting enough hens for eggs but this year what I catch and see and bucks.

Any thoughts?

The 2010 late run to date has been very skewed toward younger smaller fish... not surprisingly mostly male.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...DFs/LRsumm.pdf

"Getting enough eggs" is a peez-poor excuse as a primary reason to whack a Kenai hen. Plenty of sockeye eggs being discarded at every cutting table on the river right now. In a few days folks will be able to stock their bait larders with pinks.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The 2010 late run to date has been very skewed toward younger smaller fish... not surprisingly mostly male.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati...DFs/LRsumm.pdf

"Getting enough eggs" is a peez-poor excuse as a primary reason to whack a Kenai hen. Plenty of sockeye eggs being discarded at every cutting table on the river right now. In a few days folks will be able to stock their bait larders with pinks.

Not to mention Silvers as well.
    With the state of the King fisheries it would be prudent to get roe from the more abundant species and let the kings rebound.
    This applies to all of the watersheds hosting kings. IMHO

Valid points about killing a hen. However I have found red eggs to be not very effective when targeting kings. My other question is how do the guides get all their eggs? Because many guides are fishing 4 rods--all eggs. They use very generous amounts and they change often. I could not swear it's king row but it certainly is not red roe---it looks like king row.

I wish red eggs worked--if that was the case I would not have an issue. Maybe netting 100-150 reds at a time and the occasional king is the "sporting" way to go because if you kill a hen at least it's not for the eggs.

Red eggs work just dandy. At least they have for me on the Kenai as well as the Deshka. Not this year though I did not king fish. Doing my part for conservation.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

My personal experience is that Red eggs work great. I've caught a lot of Kenai Kings (and Silvers) in the lower river on cured sockeye roe.