Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trailer lights

Angry trailer lights

Since most of you guys have boats on trailers I have a question. I just bought a new drifter. Turn signals work, brake lights work, running lights dont. I have the same problem with my camper. I borrowed my buddies sled bed a couple of weeks ago, same thing. I inspected the harness. All wires are great. Not a single nick or frey. Pull the receptical. Cleaned it and reinstalled. Still nothing. Checked the fuses in the truck. all good. Im lost and really dont want to drop big bucks to find out what I all ready know. Im a idiot. any ideas guys
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

chuck this may sound stupid but have you check the ground on both truck and trailer if you already said in your post that you had Im sorry. Chris

Grounds on all the tralers are good. This trailer is brand new. I checked the truck wiring as far as i can trace it. It is still sealed up in the plastic wrap all the way up to the engine. I can look at it a little more. I have the same problem on 3 different trailers so Im guessing so far it is with the truck or the recep on the truck. Is it possible to test the receps? I have a feeling Im calling out a favor to one of my electrican buddies

Open up the connector and see if you have a loose wire.
    Using a vom or test light and see if you have power at the connector.
    Recheck the fuses, you may have miss one.

Sounds like the truck is the unit with the problem. You have a test light? Start by testing the plug and work your way forward until you find the short.

What kind of truck? Some have trailer fuses under the hood and truck fuses under dash.

If you have a 4 pin connection, and you can use a volt/ohm meter, you can check the following:
    1. White wire needs continuity to trailer ground. This is the typical culprit, however if your brake/turn lights work, not likely.
    2. Brown wire should have 12 volts when the running lights are on.
    3. Yellow & Green should have 12 volts when the brake is on.
    Hope this helps.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I do have a test light and a V meter. I build buidling not wire them so I have to figure out how to use it. I do have a light to check for power though. Moose. I checked every fuse like 3 times. I have a great schematic for my fuses and all the ones for lights and tralier are well labled. I pulled all of them so I have tossed that idea out.. Doug, I do have a 4 pin connecter. I will go out and check them now.

Definitely check for power at the plug. That will tell you whether you should be looking at the truck, or the trailer.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Chuck I have a Newmans sledbed for my Jetski and have had the same problem. I found they are like Xmas lights, if one bulb is bad none of them seem to work (the running lights that is)

Full, it is a brandnew trailer and I have the same issue with my popup camper lights too. That is why Im leaning to a truck wire issue

Yep, check that brown wire. I don't know what kind of truck you have, but I have a fuse for trailer running lights on my Chevy.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

2002 Chevy silverado 1/2 ton. I looked at the fuses and they were all good doug. Im gonna go to my shop later and have one of the guys put the volt meter on it and see what happens. I will let you all know if I figure it out of blow up my truck lol

Im going out to double check the fuses right now

If you find there is no power at the connector, the only possible area you could have a problem is the wiring harness or a fuse. A problem with a harness is very low. Not wanting to beat a dead dog, I would use your vom and retest the fuses. I have found looking at a fuse, sometime you will not see a very small crack.

Good luck.

One other thing could you have a dirty connector??????

I am going to check them all again moose. Ill use my flashlight and look at them real close. Good point about the small crack. Im hoping it is as simple as a fuse. It sounds like it should be with all the other lights working and the harness looking like new

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

There could be a fusable link or in-line fuse that is causing the problem. The solution is the same. Trace the wiring using a test light until you find the culprit.

Oh my. I forgot about that. I had that problem with the interior lights on my camper once. The Frost

Making notes of all this. Im sure we will figure out it. The info is awesome and thanks so much for the quick help and ideas guys

If the lights on the truck work, then the fuses are good. My inclination leans towards the brown wire not having power. Check the connector at the harness (assuming a connector was used). If no connector, then they hardwired into you harness. Good luck and let us know what you find.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

If the lights on the truck work, then the fuses are good.
    Thats is incorrect, his pickip has a seperate fuse for trailer running (tail) lights and seperate fuses for RT and LT turn

alaskachuck I'm sending you a PM
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

The Winner is Rutting Moose. Plus the fact that I am in idiot. I checked and rechecked all the fuses yesterday. Try the simple stuff first. Went out again today, Pulled them again. I found one called Trl pk It had a very small black dot on the loop uptop. replaced it and Wham. Lights work. Again. It just goes to show how good the people are on the forum and site. Thanks so much guys and appreciate all the help

A guy doesn't have to be an idiot to miss something simple. Good job tracking it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast