Thread: high energy food for dall sheep hunts

Default high energy food for dall sheep hunts

Just wanted to start a thread to see how others supplement there mountain house meals with high energy food. I have supplemented with protein energy bars, granola,oatmeal, ramen noodles any other ideas? Getting more stoked each n every day the pristine mountains are calling my name.

Big 27
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Big 27, might take a look into this semi-recent thread on the issue. Lots of good info in there:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Sheep-Hunters

I like to add some couscous or rice to my mtn house meals. I also take a small bottle of olive oil and add a spoonful to each mtn house. Just boosting calories.

Snicker bars. At least one a day. My personal choice for keeping moral up and rewarding myself after a good climb.

I like to take a small jar of peanut butter, and eat it with flatbread crackers or bagels.

A small block of cheddar cheese and a small stick of summer sausage. A little heavier than the freeze dried stuff, but I plan to eat it over the first few days anyway, and having some real food with the water already inside is a nice change of pace from dehydrated everything.

I also like the Met-RX colossal 100 meal replacement bars. 100 grams, 400+ calories.

I make my own oatmeal packs in vacuum seal bags. I can add as much oatmeal as I want, some dried fruit or nuts, a little sugar, vacuum seal it all together. For breakfast, cut open the top and pour in some boiling water. Good to go.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Rich

Very nice you have some good ideas. I especially like the oatmeal made your way and vacuum sealed could save a few bucks that way too.

Thanks bud!!!!
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

4tbs Olive oil per mtn house. Adds 500 fat calories.

1/2 stick of butter (1/8th lb) added to Granola/oatmeal adds another 400 or so fat calories.

Instant mashed potatoes in the Mt house boost carbs. Or-ida my prefered brand.

Jake the brown bear guide turned me on to some powder mix last year ~ gatorade type of stuff. Cant remember the name but I took it hunting and it worked as Jake advertised it would.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Just buy some Alaskan Salmon Strips...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Just buy some Alaskan Salmon Strips...
    I try and always take smoked salmon!! I take several pounds and as soon as I start wishing my pack was lighter I start eating it. I don't plan it as part of my meals, I plan to eat all I take in the first couple days when pack weight is it's least important. Kind of silly to worry about a couple pounds of fish on the way in when you are planning to pack out a whole animal. Interesting thing I never notice the weight once it leaves my pack and enters my stomach, logically I understand that I am still carrying the same total load...

For the first couple days I like to add Spam to my meals , adds flavor and just tastes great but heavy .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Spam should have it's own food group within the USDA's hierarchy of food groups...

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    Spam should have it's own food group within the USDA's hierarchy of food groups...
    Spam is only good if you can fry it, and serve it with two eggs over easy and over Rice!!!!....

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Spam is only good if you can fry it, and serve it with two eggs over easy and over Rice!!!!....

This is so correct kahahawai although I use it with the Mountain House Scrambled eggs and a Half Raisin bagel pan toasted and to top it all off a fresh cup of Ground Coffee ...............

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by BIG 27 View Post
    high energy food for dall sheep hunts
    A word of advice, you're going to get a lot of angry feedback using such reckless language. Try to use something more acceptable, like "high Taylor KO food" or "high momentum food" instead to keep the peace.