Thread: Valdez Pinks

Question Valdez Pinks

I plan on heading to Klutina on Friday and if the fishing is real slow, going down to Valdez for some fun with pinks. I've never fished Valdez before. I've heard of people fishing at Allison Point. Does anyone have some suggestions on where exactly to fish and what kind of tackle to use?... Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Somebody might say this belongs on the saltwater forum but I'm just looking to help folks out...below is an excerpt from a related thread a little while ago...good luck!

There will be a ton of pinks swimming around the harbor. Follow the signs for Allison Point/Pipeline Terminus (on the left before Valdez), drive a few miles along the inlet, cross the bridge at the Solomon Hatchery and fish off the rocks that you see to your right for the next couple miles...it won't matter where. At high tide or there abouts, throw any kind of mepps/vibrax spinner you like in roughly #3 size and have a ball. Lots of folks throw pixies as well but it's easier for me to detect a bite as opposed to a snag/bump with a steady retrieve on a spinner. On the flip side, pixies generally cast further. Use some lighter tackle and have fun with it. You can fly fish as well, but I haven't done it...I just enjoy slugging it out with spinners. I'm sure someone else can tell you all about the flies.
    "Live that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Show respect to all and grovel to none. Seek to make your life long and its purpose in the service of your people."

My advice would be to check the comm fish announcement, when VFDA is done w/ their cost recovery and brood stock they'll open seining up to the terminal and it'll be all over but the cryin

Quote Originally Posted by AF EOD View Post
    Somebody might say this belongs on the saltwater forum but I'm just looking to help folks out...below is an excerpt from a related thread a little while ago...good luck!

There will be a ton of pinks swimming around the harbor. Follow the signs for Allison Point/Pipeline Terminus (on the left before Valdez), drive a few miles along the inlet, cross the bridge at the Solomon Hatchery and fish off the rocks that you see to your right for the next couple miles...it won't matter where. At high tide or there abouts, throw any kind of mepps/vibrax spinner you like in roughly #3 size and have a ball. Lots of folks throw pixies as well but it's easier for me to detect a bite as opposed to a snag/bump with a steady retrieve on a spinner. On the flip side, pixies generally cast further. Use some lighter tackle and have fun with it. You can fly fish as well, but I haven't done it...I just enjoy slugging it out with spinners. I'm sure someone else can tell you all about the flies.
    Good Advice, all I would add is that when I fly fished for silvers there last year, all my gear (rod/reel/line) got coated with a gray silty slime that was hard to clean off. Mostly in the harbor area, not as much at Allison pt.