Thread: DIY Klutina Kings

Default DIY Klutina Kings

Never been there. Will drifting eggs from a cataraft work like it does on the Kenai? Will the 9.9 kicker help. Sounds like its a fast float. Headed that way on 8/2. Any tips or suggestions?

Put the boat on the shore a couple spots & fish from the bank. There are two good holes right at the first mile of the float if you put in at mile 14.

I wouldn't even take the 9.9 if I were you, just more weight. Like AKmarmot said, just stop at holes you see and toss eggs with 3/4 to 1 oz of lead. Get up early and do it (3-4AM), the guides are real early birds there and you might find that holes fill up quickly with boats.

thanks -
    I'll leave the motor at home. It'll be different than what I'm used to, thanks for the terminal suggestions.

Oh yeah,
    I'm sure a lot of things will work, but with the fast current use a real strong leader & big hook. I've used the pretied 40# double gamma hooks with a large orange corkie, & the big pencil weights.

Check your regs.. Kings are closed 8/1

Actually, not until August 10th this year depending on the stretch of river.

Default Kings close Aug 10th

This is the skinny straight from the book.

All flowing waters downstream of ADF&G marker at Mile 13.0 Klutina Lake Road: King salmon: Open season July 1–Aug 10th.

sweet.. I like being corrected!

I'll second the use of heavy tackle, those kings can get big and that current is fast. I tied up a bunch of 6/0 & 7/0 Egg Rigs with 50lb Ande. I was glad I had it too.

Nice fish!! How big was he and was this recent?
    Thanks,
    Greg

He went right at 54lbs. I wish I would've gotten some shots of how thick that guy was, because it was almost mutant thick, but he put on a good fight. That was a couple weekends ago.

This guy was a fattie as well, short and fat, 46lbs.
    Last edited by snowcamoman; 07-21-2010 at 18:46. Reason: added image