Thread: Canned Bacon

Default Canned Bacon

Anyone know where to find it locally? Used to find it in stores up here, but have not seen it for several years.

I know you can get it online, but would rather buy local if possible. One of my wife's earliest camping memories is the bacon in a can her dad always had with them.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I've searched in town too and haven't found it anywhere either. It seems like a logical item for a store to carry. I've checked into ordering online and with shipping it's a bit spendy for sure.

Tac-Bac from thinkgeek.com is about the only online place I know of. There is a "MRE" type package I've seen also, but it is for like a whole squad of hungry soldiers.

try online at the mre depot they may have it .

We acquired it (very rarely) from stores like Three Bears, Costco, and Sam's Club; perhaps Wal-Mart/K-Mart, too. It's bene -many- years since we had any, and not by accident or for any inability to locate the stuff, either.

The primary brand name was DAK (a Danish product, if I recall correctly).

IN-CRED-IB-LY salty!! We used to rinse it with hot water, or momentarily dip it into a stock pot of hot water, still mostly wrapped in the wax paper roll it came with around it, but unrolled a bt in order to give the bacon as equal an exposure to the rinse solution as possible, to wash some of the HEAVY salt flavor off of it, and make it edible..

Tactical Bacon!!!

tactical-bacon.jpg

Anyone know how to can bacon? We've tried it and the results were not that great.

I couldn't get the link to function. Might be a temporary thing, or....?

The DAK brand I referred to was the more common grocery store canned bacon when we used to occasionally (and regretably) encounter the horid stuff. Depending on your wife's age, the DAK brand might be the stuff she recalls, too. It -can- be made edible with sufficient 'flushing' with warm water, as described briefly in my earlier post..

Perhaps (hopefully) the newer varieties have resolved the salt issue that we experienced with the DAK product.

I have to admit, however, that the image of an M-4 or XM-177E carbine on my breakfast's label doesn't really cause much increase in appetite. But I guess the whole thematic thing might sell in some markets. Here it'd likely get accidentally opened by some poor soul looking for gun lube or something..... ;^>)

Pretty sure it was the Celebrity brand she remembers. Yellow can with very salty bacon in it. Made in Hungary if I remember right.

I can do without, but my wife keeps talking about the stuff so I thought I would pick some up for her. Worst case I can buy online, but would rather keep my money local if possible.

About all I can find online anymore is Tac Bac or Yoder's.

Your description of the bacon and the color of the can sounds very much like the DAK stuff; perhaps marketed under different labels or something??

Ask her if her family used to rinse the stuff in warm or hot H2O. If not, tell her (in my opinion, for what ever that's worth) that it's the best cure (no pun intended) I know of for the stuff to be made edible and not require that a cardiologist accompany you to breakfast.. ;^>)

http://www.beprepared.com

Do a search for bacon......

Good Company....

Ron

http://www.mredepot.com/servlet/Categories

this will get you to the bacon category....one pound, one case, etc.

Might be easier to just buy the precooked bacon at Costco. Actually it tastes pretty good.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Might be easier to just buy the precooked bacon at Costco. Actually it tastes pretty good.
    I like that stuff as well. But the wife has a memory attached to the canned stuff so I am trying to find some for her. Personally I agree that it is too salty, but hey, who am I to argue with a childhood memory?

Did you ever find some locally? It is even hard to find a real canned ham locally anymore.