Thread: So how about a nice catfish dinner??

Default So how about a nice catfish dinner??

and this is how they farm shrimp also

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know you can buy those same tasty fish in the freezer section at walmart.... YUM! wonder how many turds get fillet on accident
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Oh thats nasty! They serve catfish once a week on the slope

I will never order or buy seafood, I know how I take care of mine and I have seen how commercial is often cared for. It sits in a pile with no ice, and the fish are not even bled I think. (Don't know for sure). As for farming, that's a whole lot worse, gross.
    When you see shrimp at the store it's no where near pink, it's grey. Is that from that blackish shrimp blood they lay in, or just farmed shrimp color? Anyway no purchased seafood or esp. restaurant seafood for me, ever. That includes catfish.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Oh man, thats just nasty, and I LOVE catfish - dang it!

Do the packages show where it comes from? I'll have to look next time I go to the store.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

With all those carcinogens and pollutants, I wonder how much of that crap is a factor for the cancer rise in this country? Think of all those folks buying the cheapest stuff they can buy or those flocking at Capt' D's or Skippers to eat catfish. I've been guilty of buying the cheap shrimp for stirfry, but after that wake up, I think I will spend the few extra bucks or better yet, make a few extra trips to whittier.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    I will never order or buy seafood, I know how I take care of mine and I have seen how commercial is often cared for. It sits in a pile with no ice, and the fish are not even bled I think. (Don't know for sure). As for farming, that's a whole lot worse, gross.
    When you see shrimp at the store it's no where near pink, it's grey. Is that from that blackish shrimp blood they lay in, or just farmed shrimp color? Anyway no purchased seafood or esp. restaurant seafood for me, ever. That includes catfish.
    Alaska Seafood is of the utmost quality. Every fisherman I know of bleeds their fish. What you should be concerned w/ is the USDA and the meat you consume. There isn't any Alaska seafood that I know of that has the crap the FDA allows in a simple jar of peanut butter or loaf of bread , one more thing, FYI This isn't really the place to diss Alaska seafood folks like me get a tad twitchy

I will never order or buy seafood ... no purchased seafood or esp. restaurant seafood for me, ever.
    You think farmed beef, pork, or chicken is somehow better?
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post
    You think farmed beef, pork, or chicken is somehow better?
    Farmed meat is WAY worse that wild seafood. My wife and I have done a fair amount of reading and learning about the industrial food production practices over the past few years. I'll leave the details for another thread, but man...our beef and chicken production practices are terrible.

As for commercially caught fish, I understand why wildog would rather eat what he catches himself. When you care for it yourself, you konw that it's good. I can't speak for every commercial boat out there, but I will tell you that on our boat every fish that comes over the rail in bled, gutted, and put on ice within minutes. I've been on plenty of other charter and sportfishing vessels. Almost none of them gut the fish while on the water, and most don't carry ice on the boat but instead just put the fish in a "cool" place. That's fine, but it isn't a superior product to that which is gutted and iced immediately.

Good point Rod, didn't think about that. I guess it's more reason to hunt more or become a vegetarian (the latter is not going to happen). We enjoyed caribou the year before last but didn't hunt last year. This year I have two hunts planned and should be eating fish and game I have cared for in the future.
    As far as dissing AK Seafood, not really trying to do that and I shouldn't assume things. I've just seen in the pictures and sometimes in real life a lot of fish in piles that have not been bleed or gutted. I don't blame them because there probably is not time when you have so many thousands of pounds of fish, I just know that I take extremely good care of my catch and I trust it.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I've just seen in the pictures and sometimes in real life a lot of fish in piles that have not been bleed or gutted. I don't blame them because there probably is not time when you have so many thousands of pounds of fish, I just know that I take extremely good care of my catch and I trust it.
    A great development over the past decade or so is that fishermen are getting paid more for fish that have been bled and iced. While it used to be fairly common for salmon fishermen to not bleed or ice their catch, a large percentage of the catch now gets this treatment. It is more time consuming, but it results in a bigger payday for the fishermen and a better product for the consumer. As much as I hate farmed fish, it has upped the stakes for wild fish and made fishermen pay more attention to quality.

As for longlined fish - halibut and sablefish - gutting and icing has always been our practice for decades. If we didn't, either our fish would not be purchased or we would get a far lower price. Good care of the catch is absolutely paramount for a fisherman hoping to make money at their trade.