Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 vs Brownies!

Default .308 vs Brownies!

Is it do-able?

Default yes

Is it doable? Yes. Is it optimal? Probably not. The first grizzly I ever killed was with a 30-30 and 150 gr. silvertip......one shot. It was what I was carrying at the time, and I had a good shot. That doesn't mean I think the 30-30 is a grizzly cartridge. Same goes for the 308.

Yeah - I dont really think it is either - Though its all I have - I dont really like to invest in large calibers because I normally dont target anything bigger than black bears - But iff the oppurtunity presents itself, I'll take a shot at a brownie with it

All it takes is proper shot placement. With the good bullets available today, one can kill the biggest bear plenty dead with the smaller calibers.

The only thing that could handicap you from taking a brownie with your 308 Win, is by not using premium bullets. I bet a 168-grain Barnes TSX will break both front shoulders.

lol...I'll let ya'll know how it works out

I have a Galil ARM (AK-47 type of rifle) in 308 caliber that I ocassionally take on hikes with and use for "insurance" when im alone. If I am with others, I'll choose my Marlin 45/70 GS instead only because it is lighter to carry. Its real comforting to know I have 30 rounds of 308 , but I wouldnt opt for a 308 bolt rifle for a brownie on a hunt, not unless I had a back-up. Or was in open country and he was at least 300 yards away and not aware of my presence until after the first shot.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I would consider a 308 to be plenty gun, with 180 grain bullets. If that's worrysome, use Nosler Partitions.
    Smitty of the North

I have a custom TC built in .308. My plan was to use this primarily for black bear (Kachemak Bay, Prince William Sound) but I may also have the opportunity to hunt grizzly. I can shoot this rifle well; I have taken deer and coyote with it in the lower 48 this fall. After seeing the performance of the .308, I decided to have a .375 barrel made up. I think .308 could do the job under ideal circumstances. I feel the .375 gives me a better chance of stopping bears when the situation is not ideal. I made this decision based on the fact that my hunting partner is my son who is now 19 and just getting into hunting. Iíll more than likely be back-up for him and I do not have the same confidence that I once did in the .308 for bears. I do love the .308 for smaller game, however when bears are on the list Iíll swap barrels to the .375
    An unarmed person is a victim waiting to happen.

Default good luck

I don't think any guides would encourage such a small gun for a brown bear. Sure, it will kill one, IF a great shot is placed, IF.... not much insurance there. I'd hate to see one hit and leave the area, just to die or suffer. Get a gun and kill 'im.

Well, I'm not hunting with a guide - I live in SE AK, so that part is not an issue - I of course as in any situation will have someone there backing me up.

I posted this just wanting to see what other people think - I think its VERY do-able - It all comes down to your marksmanship. If you hit the bear in the heart - Which is all shot placement - Its going to die...

Sure, A heart shot will kill the bear, but I would never want to use the 308 for walking through thick brush and having a bear come at me. The heart shot will certainly kill it, but they would find part of your remains in the bears digestive system first!!!
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

I killed a moose with and a black bear with a 308 a few years back. Used 165 barnes x bullets on the moose and a 180 grain core-lokt on the bear. I would use either on of these for a brownie. Maybe a 180 partition too.

The rifle I had was pre-64 win that supposedly had accounted for more than a few brown bear by the previous owner.

Well - I have found it common place that people like to use these huge magnums on bears - I dont see the difference between using a .308 and a compound bow? People use bows all the time and shoot brown bears.

I would agree however, a .308 is not the gun I would go brush busting with, unless it was an AR model rifle.

I've been tempted to carry my .308 Savage 99 instead of the .338 model 70 while out and about for bear protection, since it is somewhat more portable than the Winchester, but have continued carrying the .338. Does anyone know what would be involved with getting the 99 rechambered and rebarreled to a .358?

Realistically, it would probably be much smarter to keep the Savage in .308 as a caribou rifle, since the ammo is cheaper and more readily available , and getting a 12 ga pump for bear protection....just curious....Louis

I'm not familiar with the .358 but with most savages you have the barrel nut and you just remove that to remove the barrel - Get a barrel chamered fro the desired caliber - and make sure you have the proper action size and bolt face size and as long as its measured out correctly you should be good to go - Savages are probably one of the easiest rifles to re-chamber...

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

I hunted for 12 years in SE Alaska with cartridges as small as the 243 Winchester. I didn't worry about bears because if it wasn't my time to go, it wasn't happening.

If you are hunting the bears, a 308 will do the job. I'm not sure I would trust it if one was charging though.

[QUOTE=OneLunG;60911]Well - I have found it common place that people like to use these huge magnums on bears - I dont see the difference between using a .308 and a compound bow? People use bows all the time and shoot brown bears.

Arrows and bullets kill by to different means. Its not a fair comparison

Arrows cut tissue and cause blood loss. Bullets cause shock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast