Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing the Upper?

Question Fishing the Upper?

So I have a guide friend who is taking me out for a Drift Boat Monday in a week and I will be headed down to the peninsula on Friday.

I will have two days to fish and wanted to take my one man cat down the upper to target mostly bows but possibly sockeye as well.

I have only ever fished the Kenai once and it was the lower 6 years ago for kings. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with the logistics of floating the upper. I know to go from sportsmans to jims but was wondering if that is the only option for a one day float. Also what is the name and the cost of the shuttle service that runs for this section? Are there places you can just pull over and sleep in the car (suburban) or should I start looking at campgrounds; i'm guessing I may be a little late in the game for a site at this point.

Any other tips about fishing/floating this area would be greatly appreciated and if anyone wants to come North of Wasilla in the talkeetna/denali area I would be happy to provide some info on logistics and trips in my neck of the woods.

There are alot of pull outs to snooze in your car. If your just doing sportsmans to jims, just drive down, park your car, stand at the end of skilak lake road and the highway with your thumb out. I never have to wait for a ride more than 10 minutes. If you want to use a shuttle it is down through wildmans store just before the bridge. You can do the bridge down to jims in a day in the summer with no problem at all. Reds are not that far up and bow and dolly fishing can be slow up there if you dont know the whole river up there. If you have more questions shoot me a pm and ill give you my number to give me a call. If your doing the bridge down I would use a shuttle otherwise no worries.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

If you need to do the shuttle, it is Wildman's. I think it is running around $25-30 (someone help me out there). Bring an extra set of keys or you can leave your set in the car. It is real simple though, stop in as you are getting into Cooper Landing. Tell them you need a shuttle and they will get your info (they will need your license plate number). They will ask you when you will be off the water and that is that.

25 sportsmans to jims and 40 or 45 bridge to jims

If you can get a spot at Cooper Creek CG you can leave all your stuff there, drive to Jims and hitch back to the CG.
    Drop your cat in right there and do your float. As Chuck said I have never had to wait more than a five or ten minutes for a lift. Everyone knows what you're doing there, I always seem to know someone there who can give me a lift. That's what I did my first 5 years, but now I seem to never need to worry about it because of the number of good people I have met over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    If you can get a spot at Cooper Creek CG you can leave all your stuff there, drive to Jims and hitch back to the CG.
    Drop your cat in right there and do your float. As Chuck said I have never had to wait more than a five or ten minutes for a lift. Everyone knows what you're doing there, I always seem to know someone there who can give me a lift. That's what I did my first 5 years, but now I seem to never need to worry about it because of the number of good people I have met over the years.
    There are not to many wackos in full wading and shades , standing beisde the road. Im guessing Joe pervert would not go to that trouble. I have been picked up by mom and pop in a motorhome, familes, single ladies, couples you name it. They all know we are just trying to get back to the boat and fish. That is why I stand on the corner at skilak and the highway. Get them coming from the landing and down the highway

Dave, most of the CG's are all booked up to the hilt. chances are one in a million of getting a spot without a reservation. It is worth the effort to take a drive through it though and see if thier is an open spot though

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Dave, most of the CG's are all booked up to the hilt. chances are one in a million of getting a spot without a reservation. It is worth the effort to take a drive through it though and see if thier is an open spot though

I don't understand it.
    When I come to visit they're practically empty.
    Two years ago I was alone in CC CG for over a week with no company except bears, moose and the odd wondering owl.

seems like there are some available starting Sunday the 25th.
    If you wait each day it will be pushed back one day as you need to book at least 5 days in advance.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...ex=CampingSpot

Dumb question i'm guessing but where is sportsmans? I thought the big bridge you went over was sportmans?

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    Dumb question i'm guessing but where is sportsmans? I thought the big bridge you went over was sportmans?

Armo
    Sportsmans is where the ferry is.

Look Here: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roa...Id=12&viewId=6

gotcha i thought that was jim's. Dammit. This is going to be a hilarious disaster. Mind telling me where Jim's is then? I've read about these places a hundred times but the names never meant anything to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    gotcha i thought that was jim's. Dammit. This is going to be a hilarious disaster. Mind telling me where Jim's is then? I've read about these places a hundred times but the names never meant anything to me.
    Drive down the highway until you hit Skilak Lake Rd. turn left and another quick left. That be Jim's.

Default leaving stuff?

I'm a little leery to leave my raft and rods at Sportsmans while I drive to Jim's and hitch back. Does no one have a problem with people ripping stuff off around there?

It always bothers me a little to leave a 4K raft along with another 1k in gear up at the ferry crossing/Sportsmans while my friend and I shuttle a vehicle down to Jims landing or upper Skilak....but I have done it many times without a problem.

It would be a brave SOB to rip-ya-off right there in front of everybody.
    Has it happened? Any bad reports? (it must have happened before...)

...although I have left my gear many times....I'm gettin nervous just writing about it...

dennis

Ask somebody to keep an eye on it for you who is getting their stuff ready. If somebody approached me while I was getting my raft ready to float (it takes me about 20+ minutes) and asked me to keep an eye on their stuff while they shuttled a vehicle to Jim's I would gladly do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTrueAdventure View Post
    It always bothers me a little to leave a 4K raft along with another 1k in gear up at the ferry crossing/Sportsmans while my friend and I shuttle a vehicle down to Jims landing or upper Skilak....but I have done it many times without a problem.

It would be a brave SOB to rip-ya-off right there in front of everybody.
    Has it happened? Any bad reports? (it must have happened before...)

...although I have left my gear many times....I'm gettin nervous just writing about it...

dennis

In the 7 years I have been fishing there I have only heard of one negative instance.
    There was a guide who had a problem with a private guy with a single man cat that put pin holes in both the guys pontoons when he was shuttling his car. I'm pretty sure it was handled when the fella found out.

I floated yesterday and left my raft with my brand new oars, that anyone could easily walk off with, and asked a random stranger to keep an eye on my sutff when I went to get my truck from the launch and everything was there when I got back. Seems like everyone will keep an eye out for one another down there at the landing. I know I'd look after someones stuff, even if they took an extra 10 mins or whatever, I'd want someone to do the same for me.

In the 7 years I have been fishing there I have only heard of one negative instance.
    There was a guide who had a problem with a private guy with a single man cat that put pin holes in both the guys pontoons when he was shuttling his car. I'm pretty sure it was handled when the fella found out.

May I ask how many pinholes and of what caliber that may have been!?!?

how was the fishing there friday?

Default few pics from the weekend

Fishing was tough for me on the upper. Not knowing the river is probably to blame. Did hook one monster bow that took me to school and several very very nice dollies.

Also picked up a king with my friend on the oars for DBM. One of the prettiest fish I have ever caught. Seems like we got lucky picking one up as there were almost no dead rods or nets up the entire way down the river.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast