Thread: Barnes 180gn TTSX 300 WIN MAG

Default Barnes 180gn TTSX 300 WIN MAG

I bought my first Barnes bullets and chose 30cal for 300win mag. A friend suggested a very light crimp on these so I did.
    Loaded them with IMR4831 - 69gns - max Barnes rec is 71 gns - so below max - was concerned about pressure increase with the crimp?
    Anybody load these bullets and use a crimp?
    Thanks.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I bought my first Barnes bullets and chose 30cal for 300win mag. A friend suggested a very light crimp on these so I did.
    Loaded them with IMR4831 - 69gns - max Barnes rec is 71 gns - so below max - was concerned about pressure increase with the crimp?
    Anybody load these bullets and use a crimp?
    Thanks.
    As a matter of practice any change in a handloading procedure or component may change pressures so it is always wise to approach any change cautiously. Having said that, I frequently crimp hunting ammo for my rifles, a few come to mind: 6.5x55, 300 WM, 358 Win, 416 RM, 45/70. In each of these cartridges I use a Lee Factory Crimp die and I have not experienced any recognizable rise in pressures with near maximum loads while crimping. I have noticed a reduction in extreme spread and smaller standard deviations in some loads. As for your question, I have a hypothesis (an educated guess) but I'll retreat to my first comment: any change in a handloading procedure or component may change pressures so it is always wise to approach any change cautiously. Prudence is a virtue.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I use the Lee factory crimp too. I guess you are probably using data from Barnes so you have trimmed your cases to their spec.

Thanks 1cor and Logger, yes, have trimmed cases according to Barnes and may have to pick up a Lee Crimper as I am a bit leary of using the RCBS Carb die set to do that.
    Never crimped rifle ammo before ( pistol yes ) but with the TTSX it has a lot of rings and I can see a possible need.
    I'll play with these loads and keep an eye on the pressure signs....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I have used the lee die as well. I saw a video on You Tube about how to set it if you are a visual person. Just my opinion here, you can crimp a bullet harder or lighter with a 1/4 or less turn. I think the amount of crimp might make a difference in repeated performance of different batches of loaded ammo. So, I would not mess with the die between loadings once you have it set where you think you want it. That goes for most all of the components though, so it is not just for the crimp die.

I had good luck with RL 22 for my Rem 700 and the 180 TTSX. Devastating on two moose. I blew the spine in half of one of the moose, no bullet fragments.

Thanks Daved,
    I shot my "test" rounds this AM - 7 o'clock - sucked here in IL - a steamy 80 at 7 AM / 83% humidity- good grief! So, not ideal weather for doing a great test - oh did I mention I was facing East also fighting a rising sun! Yes I know, can't fix stupid - but hey I was wanting to play!
    No pressure signs so what crimp I put on was OK.
    My win 70 did not like the 69 grain load set at max OAL at 100 best group / 1 1/2" worst / 3.25" YUK!
    Loaded 1 string of 3 at max of 71 grains same - OAL - got a beautiful .68 group! Now we are talking!
    I rested gun 1 minute between ea shot of 3, 5 - 8 minutes between ea 3 shot group.
    So, I think I have a place to work with and when I get my new crimper from Lee I can play some more...
    I may have a delima now deciding on staying with the 200 gn Nosler Part that shoot sweet or working with these Barnes moose killers!
    Oh decisions decisions! Funny part is I will likely tote my Marlin 4570 90% of the time and this will sit in the boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Thanks 1cor and Logger, yes, have trimmed cases according to Barnes and may have to pick up a Lee Crimper as I am a bit leary of using the RCBS Carb die set to do that.
    Never crimped rifle ammo before ( pistol yes ) but with the TTSX it has a lot of rings and I can see a possible need.
    I'll play with these loads and keep an eye on the pressure signs....
    Those rings on the TTSX are not crimping grooves. All those rings are for is to have a place for the gilded metal to go once the round starts down the rifling. That way there is less build up in the barrel, according to Barnes anyway.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Thanks for the input AKHunterNP.
    I realized they were not crimping rings and maybe didn't say it very clearly. What I was a bit concerned about was if the bullet seated where the crimp would roll slightly into one of the ring grooves it may not be a good thing IMO as it may be possible ( don't know) to overcrimp in that scenario and cause problems...?

I'd stay with the Barns, they work great in my mod 70, 06

I load a 180 TTSX over 71 grains of IMR 4831. I do use a lee factory crimp. I started crimping them becasue the bullets in the magazine were being driven into the casings on recoil. I discovered on accident that the crimp cuts my groups in half!

Quote Originally Posted by WIsam View Post
    I load a 180 TTSX over 71 grains of IMR 4831. I do use a lee factory crimp. I started crimping them becasue the bullets in the magazine were being driven into the casings on recoil. I discovered on accident that the crimp cuts my groups in half!
    WISam, yep, IMR 4831 at 71 seems to be the ticket. Shot some very nice groups again Sunday with these....