Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: some common areas on the peninsula

Default some common areas on the peninsula

what are some areas for duck hunting on the kenai peninsula?what does a guy need to try out duck hunting a couple times this fall

Otterpants,
    This is a pretty broad question, but I'll try and help you out a bit as I was a beginner once too!
    First off, you will need a hunting license and state and federal duck stamps. Easy enough...
    Let's move on to equipment, you will need a shotgun preferably with interchangable chokes that will allow you to shoot steel shot. Some steel shot shells, I use Winchester X-pert 3" BB for most everything and I've done quite well with a Mod choke in my 870 and they are around $12.00 to $13.00 a box down here on the Peninsula. You will need some camo clothes and or a camo rain jacket or poncho. I got all my stuff out of the dumpster or Salvation Army. Not glamorous, but I get plenty of birds and when I get dirty and trash my gear (which always happens) I'm not out a bunch of cash and bummed out.
    I don't really use a permanent or a semi-permanent blind, I just use what is naturally around or hunker down with my poncho over me and use some ragged burlap over my head. You will need to have a way to retrieve birds in the water if you are hunting near it. A boat, canoe, raft, dog or waders and a long stick are all options and I sometimes employ several on the same trip. If going on the cheap, go for some decent waders and a small little raft or canoe.
    As far as places to go, I go to some of the more extreem ones like Chickaloon Flats and the head of Katchemak Bay with my 4 wheeler and my dog and we camp out for a couple of days and get a good chunk of meat out of it. There maybe some other more accessable places to hunt and I'd like to hear them if anyone else wants to share!
    That's about all I've got, please feel free to ask any other questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Mountaintrekker

There are fewer huntable birds on the peninsula compared to other areas of Alaska. The flats at the mouth of the Kenai used to be a viable place to hunt, but it is getting crowded out by reserves, development, and too many users. Chickaloon is hard to get to, but holds lots of birds for those with a plane or a skookum 4x4 (no ATVs). The Kenai below Skilak has birds, but houses here and there to watch out for. The head of K-bay is great for geese if you catch it just right. China Poot holds green heads, teals, and other species and you might be able to catch a water taxi over there (see Homer Dave on this board). The whole southwest coast over there holds plenty of surf ducks too (if you are into killing ducks you probably won't enjoy eating). Some of the lakes on the road system have ducks too, but I ain't saying which ones I go to. :-)

Sayak,
    Why no wheelers to Chickaloon? We take the beach from Capt. Cook and stop at the marker before the flats and walk in.

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    Sayak,
    Why no wheelers to Chickaloon? We take the beach from Capt. Cook and stop at the marker before the flats and walk in.

Mountaintrekker
    Oh, sorry! Meant no wheelers on Mystery Creek Road. Wasn't referring to accessing the bay area by beach... though I'm not sure what the legalities are once you get there.

There is a demarcation line/sign that states "no motor vehicles beyond this point" we camp a bit before it above the high tide line and walk the mile on in and use a small wagon for decoys and such. It is a bit of a haul at 35+ miles on the beach with a wheeler, but we stay a couple of days to make it worth it.

Mountaintrekker

ok have hunting license, waders, camo etc grew up dove and quail hunting but never ducks, looking for input on a starter shotgun and choke(S) decoys really nessa-scary? i eat and use as much as i can of anything i shoot except 2 legged predators so whats best for dinner?

In my opinion the greatest starter shotgun, and one that will last a very long time is the Remington 870 or the Benelli Nova, both are around 3 to 400 bucks and usually come with mulitiple chokes.

Quote Originally Posted by duckslayer56 View Post
    In my opinion the greatest starter shotgun, and one that will last a very long time is the Remington 870 or the Benelli Nova, both are around 3 to 400 bucks and usually come with mulitiple chokes.
    Duckslayer is right. I own, and have hunted with an 870 for better than 20 years. But there are some new dandy shotguns out there. I really liked shooting my son-in-law's 887. But then, I was shooting a Benelli some time ago and, man that gun handled well. Though I am a blued and walnut man, if I started today, I would get a coated shotgun for the wet conditions we usually encounter (I've had to replace swollen stocks).

I may take some flack for this, but I'd avoid Mossberg if I was you.

You might want to buy some dekes. You can usually get them cheap by the dozen. Rigging them is not hard to do. If you're hunting canadas, profiles work OK and they're a lot less PITA to transport than the full body types.

A small blind is nice to have, and a folding one can be made from PVC and camo burlap.

Get yourself a few calls for ducks and geese and practice with them a bit before you go out in the field.

If you are hunting ducks on the KP, you are going to need a canoe. I have an old fiberglas one I'll sell you for $200. :-)

I agree with the 870 in 12ga. I have had friends have trouble with the 3.5" magnum not ejecting shells all the way when they were using 3" mags. Something to consider. I would definately look into the nitrile coating Remington offers as you will get your shotgun full of water and mud if you are any type of hunter! I have a hard time laying mine down in the bottom of the canoe knowing what is sloshing around on the floor... blood, salt water, coffee, dog slobber etc. It' keeps on trucking though and I clean mine every day after a hunt and wipe it down with ATF which seems to really work at keeping the rust off. Make sure to remove your chokes and clean and lube the threads periodically as well. Also make sure to go to the range and pattern it and run at least a box of shells through it at some clay birds so you get an idea of how it handles.

Mountaintrekker

Sayak, how big is the canoe?

Ah, but that 3-1/2" mag is nice for reaching geese, no? I just have a 3" and had trouble bringing them down as well as my S-I-L. We were using the same size shot and I'm just as good a shot (well, maybe not).

The canoe is an old beater made of actual fiberglass for Sears and Roebuck. It has a rough, 1/2-assed coating on it and has seen better days, but is relatively light and I've been thinking of making it into a dedicated duck canoe with a raggy camo combing. I believe it is a 14'er; a double-ender. I was just spouting off about that...

well i have 250 for a duck gun could a guy find one of these you speak of used in that price range?

Try the forum here. Or try a pawn shop. Folks these days are strapped for cash or over-extended. Some are soldiers who are assigned elsewhere, and then there are always those who decide that sitting in the rain or snow waiting for birds to fly by is retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    well i have 250 for a duck gun could a guy find one of these you speak of used in that price range?
    Otterpants-
    if you are still there...
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/84586-Remington-870-super-magnum
    Maybe you could dicker...?

says object not found bad link are something

3.5" has no more range than a 3" - speed is what kills - 3.5" is no faster than a 3"...but you do get more pellets - so if your shootin is not up to par then the 3.5" might help a little.

sports authority is advertising a 870 for 260$ i assume thats bout low as you will see one new eh?

Quote Originally Posted by otterpants747 View Post
    sports authority is advertising a 870 for 260$ i assume thats bout low as you will see one new eh?
    That is cheap, but remember, 870s come in many varieties, lengths, finishes, etc. . Go for the "Wingmaster Classic", as it is the waterfowler's gun, or the Express Super Mag.

"3.5" has no more range than a 3" - speed is what kills - 3.5" is no faster than a 3"...but you do get more pellets - so if your shootin is not up to par then the 3.5" might help a little."

Maybe you are right about the range, but I'm thinking that, yes, having more metal in the air will bring down the higher flying geese. I'm not going to get in a pissing match with you, however, in spite of your insinuation.

it advertises rem870 xpress 12 or 20 ga i assume thats the one you speak of?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast