Thread: water in bilge

Default water in bilge

I have a Volvo inboard with outdrive. How much water should I expect to pick up in the bilge after running 4-5 hrs? Is there such a thing as a dry bilge?

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    I have a Volvo inboard with outdrive. How much water should I expect to pick up in the bilge after running 4-5 hrs? Is there such a thing as a dry bilge?
    Mine stays dry (Mercruiser I/O) till I run a hose to washdown the deck or it's raining. If you are absolutely sure that you have no water in your bilge or from a place that it may drain from to your bilge then it should stay dry. After 7 days in the water over in Valdez, with a couple of days of rain plus fish washdown I had maybe 2 gallons total. I know because I sucked it all out with my 1 gallon shop vac to do some other work.

Finding that source of water intrusion may be tricky but could be a sign of a bellows problem or a possible hose problem or could be from the thru transom bolts or transom adapter. I did notice on mine this last trip a rusty water stain from my rear hooks lower bolt. So noted and over the winter removed, resealed and replaed as required.

I agree with the above. Water can also come in through the vents that the blower uses.

Mine is always as dry as dust, regardless of rain, if I hose down the fish deck, doesn't matter what I do the engine box is dry. Either your engine cover is a "leaker" and doesn't seal great, the bellows is cracking, or the hose thing.

One thing to remember is the bow of the boat is lower than the stern, in other words water could be hidden up front and come to the back. Make sure you set on a incline to drain 100%. I have the same problem my deck sculpters valves leak and if everyone is on the back or I go backwards water comes in. Having water in the bilge is not overly a bad thing, that say it's the amount and how fast you get it that means more. The auto bilge float switch is a wonderfull think.
    Tip the bow way up, wide it down real good, or even pressure wash the bilge out, put her in the water and watch the bilge. you should be able to see whare it's coming from.

Water can come in through the steering helmet bushing, try backing up and see if any water comes in through the top of the transom shield on the inside of the boat. You might also see if the raw water pump is leaking while the engine is running, check all hoses like the one that comes from the transom shield to the raw water pump, look for cracks in hoses where the make tight bends. Tighten all hose clamps.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692