Thread: Going remote

Default Going remote

Hey everyone, just found this site, and what a find it is. I have the ever growing dream of heading north to the great bush. I was wondering if anyone can help me with where to look as far as the best area to buy land and build a small cabin to spend some time in. I am looking for somewhere i can sustain food through hunting and fishing and somewhere witha sustainable water source. Any help would be great. thanks again Ryan

Couple questions first off:

1. Where are you moving from?

2. Do you have any experience with the subsistence lifestyle?

3. Do you have the finances to fund such an endeavor?

Living in the bush alone can be harsh and very expensive to get started. If you are ill prepared, you will either be miserable or worse yet, suffer a serious injury or even die.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Most people are shocked at what GOOD land sells for, many are shocked at what crap-land sells for. There are a lot of good threads in the cabin section of this forum. Good luck, and hold the dream.

i currently am living florida i moved here from a remote cabin i had in maine and i have about 20,000 im looking to put into the land. i am skilled in woodworking and just want to go ahead with my dream of alaska the timing is right for me now. any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Bilder makes alot of good points...sure the dream of roughing it in the Alaskan bush appeals to alot of people but its a harsh reality if you aren't prepared. Maine is not Alaska and you'll probably want to be proficient in a little more than woodworking. Nobody would want you to give up on your dream, but alot of people come up here with the same ideas and injure or kill themselves from getting in over their heads.

I would come on up, look around, do some camping and fishing, maybe a summer job, and then decide if you want to stay. DO NOT BUY LAND SIGHT UNSEEN. My take on it is if you have something to contribute, welcome.
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

I second what cdubbin says.

There are a couple of outfits up here that specialize in selling land “sight unseen” that wouldn’t sale of people saw it. What they do may be legal, but it sure is dishonest, (sides of cliffs, swamps etc.)

If you know the area you want to live in, check with local real estate agents. Alaska Remote Property website is a good place to browse.

I would suggest South East as a place to start looking. It has lots of rain, rough terrain but easier to grow a garden.

I would also stay away from the interior. Summers are too short and winters are too long and cold. Some notable people have done it, but I’d rather have some leisure time than spending all my time getting food & heat.

Look at some of the Alaska mental health land for sale. There are some nice parcells for sale in Wrangell on the water
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Bernie Vockner the link above is a stand up guy, but I agree with others....come up and look around and do not even think about buying land sight unseen. It's a very diverse place and parcels vary wildly in accessibility, site amenities, potential use and habitability.

Coming up, working, narrowing down area and finding a good site is a good plan.

The romantic idea of homesteading in AK has lead to more disappointment than satisfaction in the real world if not worse. You still need the almighty dollar to live in the bush and just the PFD isn't enough.

Even Dick Proenneke had a pension/retirement fund.

Good luck.

You should spend some time looking through the alaska cabin forum, there is lots of good information on land and building cabins.

The best advice is to spend alot of time researching land and the realities of living remote. The price of land is just one factor, you have to factor in the expense of accessing the land, and the expense of transporting materials to that land. When you factor in access costs, a $50k lot is often much, much less expensive than a $10k lot. And as mentioned, do not buy any land sight unseen. If you can't afford to fly out to personally inspect land, then you can't afford to develop that land, no matter what a great deal it may seem to be.

It's hard to convey the expenses involved in accessing remote land to people that aren't familiar with remote AK land. Access is the biggest expense, not the land.

My personal preference would be look for land in SE with easy ocean access. Ocean fishing provides year round access to protein, there is good hunting, and a longer growing season.

I'd definitely agree with previous suggestions to look around A LOT before buying into an area, Alaska is so diverse from Coastal rainforest to Interior Black Spruce thickets you gotta come up and cruise around a bit to get a feel for land prices and what you like to eat even.

If you are a fish guy, the coast is pretty rich and always producing something for a guy with a skiff to get out on the water, winter not so harsh also, well there are fish just about everywhere but gardening, etc. not so easy in the North. Some folks do Really well with gardens tho in the short time they have to get it together. Ask around when you are up here, there's lots of helpful people to a humble new guy.

I did quite a bit of Remote Living upriver from Talkeetna (100mi north of the City) and love that country. Good area to live. also watched a lot of dreamers last only into October and take off tail between their legs. Even the idea of a Pure Subsistence lifestyle is somewhat unrealistiuc, gas for your chainsaw, etc. it still costs something for most people.

Don't be discouraged just plan for more money than expected or some way of making a little extra cash now and then in the area you find to settle.

I used to commercial fish in summer or spring/fall and live out there the rest of the year, worked well. but that money always went somewhere into the project, or getting outside in December.......

Good Luck
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !