Thread: First Trip to Alaska - Advice please!

Default First Trip to Alaska - Advice please!

Hey everyone, great forum you have here! I'm looking forward to sharing any info I can and hopefully learning as much as I can in the process!

This year will be my first trip up to Alaska. I'm going with 3 other friends to Island Point Lodge on Kupreanof island - about 11 miles south of Petersburg. Our dates are July 14 - 20. This is the fishing info the lodge gave me for that week -

King and Sockeye Salmon in the rivers. Kings are dark. Pink and Chum Salmon should be making their presence. Halibut fishing is excellent.

I'm hoping that someone might have some first hand knowledge of this area and be able to give us a heads up on what to expect and the fish we should target.

Any tips on which of those fish will be biting best during that week and the right tackle and techniques would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    King and Sockeye Salmon in the rivers. Kings are dark. Pink and Chum Salmon should be making their presence. Halibut fishing is excellent.
    "King and Sockeye Salmon in the rivers. Kings are dark." - means that the Kings are red and past their prime. Unless the run is late, the run is essentially over and you are casting over old Kings. The sockeye fishing might be good if the run in whatever river your going to is decent. You are looking for bright (silver) fish. Sockeye in their prime are not only great fun, but great eating too. Both pinks and chums can be great fun but aren't often thought of as an 'eating' fish. Halibut can almost always be caught by those guides who make the effort and know where to go.

Default More advice. . .

Fishing for kings that are "dark" is questionable "sport." If you're fishing for pinks in tidal waters, they're good eating, especially canned. Bright chums are fine for the smoker

Default Island Point Lodge

This appears to be a self guided lodge. I would concentrate on fishing for Halibut, and trolling for Silvers. Try the Shimano Trevala rods that are light tackle for halibut, but extremely strong. Get a good reel and load with 50lb braid. You can use a Salmon & Stealhead 8'6" (10-20lb) casting rod to fish for Silvers, or Kings in the River. A 8 wt fly rod should be good for Sockeyes . It's good to be prepared for both salt and river fishing. You never know what the hot ticket will be until you arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    Hey everyone, great forum you have here! I'm looking forward to sharing any info I can and hopefully learning as much as I can in the process!

This year will be my first trip up to Alaska. I'm going with 3 other friends to Island Point Lodge on Kupreanof island - about 11 miles south of Petersburg. Our dates are July 14 - 20. This is the fishing info the lodge gave me for that week -

I'm hoping that someone might have some first hand knowledge of this area and be able to give us a heads up on what to expect and the fish we should target.

Any tips on which of those fish will be biting best during that week and the right tackle and techniques would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

I've been up to that area several times and that and the other posts here all sound accurate. Nothing much to add. I would try at least one day at Kah Sheets Creek/Bay for sockeye, pinks and chums, depending on the tides and what is hot that wk.

Default island point lodge

myself and three friends will also be at island point lodge the week of
    july 14. This is my third trip to the lodge and we prefer to target halibut.
    We all use the tackle provided by the lodge because of the hassle with
    the airlines bringing are own rods and reels. Last trip was two years ago
    and dog fish can be a problem when using herring for bait, so I'm looking
    on this group for info on using artificial lures for halibut along with herring.
    As I said this is my third trip to Island point lodge and one Of my friends Bill will be on his 12th trip so even though halibut fishing is unguided
    he knows his way around the area. Usually several boats will head out
    to halibut fish so you can tag along with your group. The best advice
    I can give you about fishing for halibut is hang on to your gear because they hit fast and hard! I'm located here in north east connecticut and I was curious if you are from the area. I'll be happy to answer any more
    questions that you may have, if not we will see you in Alaska.

Angry Halibut - Dog fish sharks

Dog fish sharks can be a nuisance when fishing herring for halibut. I have had good success bouncing an 8 oz white scampi (rubber tail) jig off the bottom. Point Wilson darts or other metal jigs would work to limit the amount of sharks hooked. Also try a salmon head. Just remember you can't use sport caught salmon heads.

Not to hijack the thread, but why can't you use sport caught salmon heads??? Regs say otherwise...

"Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes. (2) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. (3) Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters or the regulatory area in which it was taken."

Just make sure you are very closely trimming the meat on the collar of the head, so you're not wasting it. You leave too much and you'll be in violation.
    Last edited by akfishinguy; 02-05-2007 at 12:13.

Default Halibut

One of the Charter captains out of Deep Creek told me I could not use sport caught salmon for bait? Perhaps it's best to search the regs.

Default Sport Caught

True, no sport caught "whole" fish. If the fish is filleted and you are using the waste parts, then Yes you can use those parts of the fish. The rule is the same for shrimp bait. No whole sport caught fish.

Now if you buy "commercialy caught" fish, you can use them for bait.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

hey I'm going up with JMS hopefully we'll see you there. also, thanks for the advice everyone!

Just a little confused......I thought based on the Run Charts that the second run of Kings is peaking about the middle to third week of July.

Are they speaking of a different area

Default New SE Bait Reg Change

I was surprised to read in another post on here that in SE (as of 7/1/2007) it IS legal to use sport-caught pink and chum for bait. A link was provided to the site that directly quoted a AK Dept. of Fish and Game News Release that cam out in the last few days of June and announced that the Board of Fisheries had approved this proposal. Here is the announcement taken directly from the ADFG web site under SE Sportfish:

"PINK AND CHUM SALMON CAUGHT IN SOUTHEAST ALASKA SPORT FISHERIES MAY BE USED AS BAIT

The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced today that in the Southeast Alaska Regulatory Area, including Yakutat, pink and chum salmon taken in a sport fishery may be used as bait in a sport, personal use, or subsistence fishery effective 12:01 A.M. Sunday, July 1, 2007.

During their March 9-13, 2007 Statewide Finfish meeting, the Alaska Board of Fisheries adopted a regulation allowing the use of sport-caught pink and chum salmon as legal bait in sport, personal use, and subsistence fisheries in the Southeast Alaska regulatory area.

This new regulation does not change sport fishing bag and possession limits for pink and chum salmon. The bag limit for pink and chum salmon is six per each species with a possession limit of 12 for each species. Sport-caught pink and chum salmon used as bait are part of an anglers bag and possession limit.

For further information, contact the nearest ADF&G office or visit: http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/statewide/EONR/index.cfm

For additional information contact Bob Chadwick, Regional Management Coordinator, (907) 747-5355."

This doesn't say anything about any other part of the State. This SE reg change adds a whole 'nother bait source for crab, shrimp and halibut collectors. I won't have to go down to Taku Smokeries for my annual chum and pink sales receipt. Good fishing.

Default Butts Rule

If it were me I'd go after the halibut then if I had spare time, some salmon, whatever's running. If you haul it in and don't want it, release it. Using the salmon heads as butt bait might get you bigger fish but I've caught some mighty fine ones on jigs and/or herring. I've used heads too but it wasn't any noticible difference.